Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

There she goes......

There she goes......

Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter back from the UK after 5 years away.

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Best of luck to her mate

Errrm I'd say she shares a lot of similar thoughts re England as you now Bernie

Thanks for that though.... I've reposted in the original thread.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Errrm I'd say she shares a lot of similar thoughts re England as you now Bernie

Thanks for that though.... I've reposted in the original thread.
Posts moved into the original thread
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There she goes......

Daughter back from the UK after 5 years away. My 2nd born daughter has been back in Aus for about 3 days after 5 years in the UK, mostly London.

Hasnt worked out the way she hoped. She wanted to extend her career, but found it difficult to move up, either because she wasnt qualified enough or because of the recession. She worked here in Fashion marketing. Actually produced the catalogues for Sass and Lolita here in Aus before she left and ran most of their accounts... Liased with overseas producers as well...and that was at age 20.

Shes already been offered 2 jobs back here in Aus, which is stark contrast to the situaiton in London.... more on that later though. Got to admit it's from old employers. She did change jobs a lot there and that probably went against her and she ended up stuck in employment she didnt like.... Her best job was probably running a temp desk for an advertising employment agency.

First thing she bought here, was two boxes of Pizza shapes LOL and insisted we buy BBQ chicken with the stuffing and chips and gravy.... apparently hard to get in take away shops in the UK http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...lies/blink.gif All fried apparently ?

Couldnt find my 5 yo "there she goes thread" which would have made a good platform for the conclusion of her life in London. Ahaaa Thanks Poll

She is going to work temp probably, so she can go to University for a marketing diploma..... She aims to go to America now... New York is her target.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Fashion would be a very competitive industry to get ahead in , but I imagine "London Fashion Experience" would be snapped up in OZ so its helped her career in a roundabout way

Bet having a 25 year old back at home is interesting
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Fashion would be a very competitive industry to get ahead in , but I imagine "London Fashion Experience" would be snapped up in OZ so its helped her career in a roundabout way
Exactly. The experience would have been a good one in every sense of the word - and not just professionally.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 6:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Daughter back from the UK after 5 years away. My 2nd born daughter has been back in Aus for about 3 days after 5 years in the UK, mostly London.

Hasnt worked out the way she hoped. She wanted to extend her career, but found it difficult to move up, either because she wasnt qualified enough or because of the recession. She worked here in Fashion marketing. Actually produced the catalogues for Sass and Lolita here in Aus before she left and ran most of their accounts... Liased with overseas producers as well...and that was at age 20.

Shes already been offered 2 jobs back here in Aus, which is stark contrast to the situaiton in London.... more on that later though. Got to admit it's from old employers. She did change jobs a lot there and that probably went against her and she ended up stuck in employment she didnt like.... Her best job was probably running a temp desk for an advertising employment agency.

First thing she bought here, was two boxes of Pizza shapes LOL and insisted we buy BBQ chicken with the stuffing and chips and gravy.... apparently hard to get in take away shops in the UK http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...lies/blink.gif All fried apparently ?

Couldnt find my 5 yo "there she goes thread" which would have made a good platform for the conclusion of her life in London. Ahaaa Thanks Poll

She is going to work temp probably, so she can go to University for a marketing diploma..... She aims to go to America now... New York is her target.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

nailbite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Posts moved into the original thread
Have really enjoyed reading this thread - where has it been moved to?
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 10:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nailbite
Have really enjoyed reading this thread - where has it been moved to?
It's right here.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

nailbite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's right here.
That's good - know you moderators like to move things to other places:
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 11:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nailbite
That's good - know you moderators like to move things to other places:
All that happened was I moved the posts from a new thread started by Ozzieeagle onto the end of the originakl thread - as he wanted We only move things if they are in the wrong place or likely to get a better response from a new location
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:20 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez - remember this thread when it was originally posted OE - feel like a right old bastard now. Best of luck to your daughter in her future career.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Most of them come back home eventually.......
Thanks all, yehp it seems that way got to say.

Not sure how long she will last here. Her Brother and Sister are loving the company at present.

We'll see where we are in a couple of weeks time, everyone will be back to a routine by then.

It was very easy to do all the practical things... Bank Account, Medicare Card, Insurance on "My" car, luckily that cost nothing... still she's driving it around at present so thats interesting as well !

Will post on here again when there are any interesting developments.

Just goes to show though, how people are moving around the World so easily now... especially Migrants kids It's not all bad at all
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hope all goes well with your girl's return. Bet you're happy to have your baby back.

Oh, pardon my incredible memory of things totally unrelated to myself... What about the boyfriend? Thought she was in a relationship or something in London? May be a different daughter? Did she leave him behind or did he follow her home?

the forever nosey Mrs JTL
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Many thanks for your replies, FYI bankisa, I did that FX calculation of the top of my head, and decided to check with westpacs, fx calcuator, 35,000 aud came out to 14,416 quid in notes.

I do realise that MK isn't the epicentre of commerce in the UK, but it is a nice place to start, modern houses, easy to get around, close to London, and most importantly, plenty of family with the same surname .

Just a brief background on my Daughter, she was supposed to do this move about 2 years ago, however one of her freinds suggested 3 months before she was due to leave, to take a summer holiday in Lorne, having fun and waitressing/summer working, Needless to say, she came back from that little adventure, heavily in debt, with a smashed up car, and basically dead broke. Hence the 2 year delay. Consequently all she has in the way of education is her year 12 VCE, which equates to University level entry education, however she does have 2 years of good office experience here in Melbourne. If she has to do further education in the UK, she has Leeds University business studies courses, in her sights, which apparently are the best available in the UK.

I'll repeat what I stated in my opening post, that people crossing the world, really step back a lot in what they can expect in comparison. She basically has the working world at her feet here in Melbourne, but feels quite strongly that she can do better. I concur, but reckon the going will be very tough. As it is for most Migrants coming here. She doesn't really have a much to lose, and so much to gain.

Let serendipity take it's happy course. (hopefully)

She can easily get the train from Bletchley (very near Milton Keynes) into London every day she doesn't have to live there, it takes around 1 hour, as said before she needs to go to London, has she thought about working for the Ad Agencies, always a fun interesting place to work.....
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by macy
She can easily get the train from Bletchley (very near Milton Keynes) into London every day she doesn't have to live there, it takes around 1 hour, as said before she needs to go to London, has she thought about working for the Ad Agencies, always a fun interesting place to work.....
Sometimes, you know, it really pays to read the whole thread before, erm, posting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.