Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

There she goes......

There she goes......

Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:20 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: There she goes......

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Oh well, we did it, Said goodbye to my Daughter today. I can understand implicitly now, what it must be like for people saying goodbye to people migrating this way.

At least I expect my Daughter to come back, so it probably isn't quiet as bad as what family have to go through, particuarly those saying goodbye, when one actually fully migrates.

We've got no Idea if and when my Daughter will return, however if the tears streaming down her cheeks at Tullarmarine, as she forced herself bravely through those doors that look so similar to a crematoriums ensemble, It could be a lot sooner than expected.

There aint nothing like people departing for an unknown life, with lots of freinds and family present for bringing out raw emotion. I was very suprised at the strength of feeling in what occured today.

For those of us that have and are thinking of migrating, try putting the other shoe on, I've had just a smigeon of a taste of that today.

Sorry to put a downer, on things but today, was a pretty horrible day.

PS... there's always a silver lining somewhere, I've just got to see through the mist to see it.
Sorry you're missing your daughter so much. I'm sure she has to do her own thing though an d make her own way. You love someone but you have to let them fly away eh? Generally the UK loves Aussies and I'm sure having had the guts to go north she'll be fine.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick update on how my Daughter is going.

She has a close freind arriving from Melbourne later this week, which is just as well. Presently she is working two jobs, one office job 9-5, nothing fantastic, pays about what she received in Melbourne. To boost her wages so that she can travel in the spring and summer she has taken on extra employment at one of the nightclubs in MK Central, doing barmaid work, 9pm to 4am 4 days a week on top of her office job. Thats typical of my Daughter, who when she sees a target moves heaven and earth to get to it.

Heres the negativity though... and it maybe hard to take for some readers. She cannot get along with English girls of her own age. She finds them very narrow in their outlook, Maybe it's Milton Keynes, although when one compares country towns in Aussie, the young females don't seem to have such narrow horizons as the English girls do. She finds them almost all universely determined to settle down with one person and have families. Anything beyond this narrow outlook on life, is viewed with suspicion and distrust. My daughter has no trouble is mixing with the young males there, except in the early stages of meeting someone, when she makes it quiet clear, that she is not going to be a possession, like the local girls want to be.

Once she is over that early stage, she indulges in similar activities with the boys, from motor bike riding, through to paintballing, skiing, absailing, rollerblading, etc etc, which apparently is quite a novelty for the boys there, although it's quiet normal for her peers in Australia to relate to males in this way.

The only girls she has gotten along with in the UK, to any great deal of depth, are two canadian girls at the nightclub where she works. In fact it looks like she will be going to Canada for a while at the end of this year, The Canadian girls are also expeirencing the same problem in relating to the English girls as my Daughter.

Seems there is a big difference in outlook and wants from a typical young Aussie female, to young English Females. Who seem to follow a class driven self imposed role in life.

I for one am very suprised about this, although my wife, says all those years ago, when she arrived in the UK, she had similar problems relating to her workmates.

Strange eh ?
Old Feb 12th 2006, 1:01 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick update on how my Daughter is going. ..
I don't find it remotely surprising mate. It's all too easy to forget how class ridden the UK is because we all have our position on the ladder and our homes, friends, school, supermarket, television package, radio station and brand of coffee reflect that. We are in our 'spot' and it feels normal. If you come from outside the 'system' then there's no obvious spot to slot in. Combine that with the fact that MK is a soul-sucking vacuum of a place and I can understand precisely where she's coming from ... would be interested to know how you feel about the old country in light of your daughter's experiences
Old Feb 12th 2006, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I don't find it remotely surprising mate. It's all too easy to forget how class ridden the UK is because we all have our position on the ladder and our homes, friends, school, supermarket, television package, radio station and brand of coffee reflect that. We are in our 'spot' and it feels normal. If you come from outside the 'system' then there's no obvious spot to slot in. Combine that with the fact that MK is a soul-sucking vacuum of a place and I can understand precisely where she's coming from ... would be interested to know how you feel about the old country in light of your daughter's experiences

The big suprise, is the boys adjusted and accepted her, with very little problem, the Girls won't budge though.

When I went back last year, I felt very comfortable there, I'd hate my Children to feel they had to live a certain role though, So from the point of view of kids having wider horizons, maybe Australia does have an advantage of hardly having any social stigma on anything they wish to do with their lives.

It really does seem, that the average young female (if there is such a thing) in Aussie, is a very different creature to their UK counterparts, Especially when it comes to trying to do things in an equal way, especially physical activity.

Once her Kiwi born, and Melbourne raised freind turns up, and two attractive antipodeans start skateboarding all over Mk's bike paths together, it's going to be quite a revalation for the locals lol. I never thought there would be such a difference, Maybe I shouldn't have taught her how to gut fish either lol !!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick update on how my Daughter is going.

She has a close freind arriving from Melbourne later this week, which is just as well. Presently she is working two jobs, one office job 9-5, nothing fantastic, pays about what she received in Melbourne. To boost her wages so that she can travel in the spring and summer she has taken on extra employment at one of the nightclubs in MK Central, doing barmaid work, 9pm to 4am 4 days a week on top of her office job. Thats typical of my Daughter, who when she sees a target moves heaven and earth to get to it.

Heres the negativity though... and it maybe hard to take for some readers. She cannot get along with English girls of her own age. She finds them very narrow in their outlook, Maybe it's Milton Keynes, although when one compares country towns in Aussie, the young females don't seem to have such narrow horizons as the English girls do. She finds them almost all universely determined to settle down with one person and have families. Anything beyond this narrow outlook on life, is viewed with suspicion and distrust. My daughter has no trouble is mixing with the young males there, except in the early stages of meeting someone, when she makes it quiet clear, that she is not going to be a possession, like the local girls want to be.

Once she is over that early stage, she indulges in similar activities with the boys, from motor bike riding, through to paintballing, skiing, absailing, rollerblading, etc etc, which apparently is quite a novelty for the boys there, although it's quiet normal for her peers in Australia to relate to males in this way.

The only girls she has gotten along with in the UK, to any great deal of depth, are two canadian girls at the nightclub where she works. In fact it looks like she will be going to Canada for a while at the end of this year, The Canadian girls are also expeirencing the same problem in relating to the English girls as my Daughter.

Seems there is a big difference in outlook and wants from a typical young Aussie female, to young English Females. Who seem to follow a class driven self imposed role in life.

I for one am very suprised about this, although my wife, says all those years ago, when she arrived in the UK, she had similar problems relating to her workmates.

Strange eh ?
Its good to hear shes going along well. Would not worry about the mixing thing, its not uncommon to find travellers tend to stick with other travellers with similar outlook, a year or so of adventure. Take an english girl (or american or anything) arriving somewhere in OZ/NZ and and finding lots of girls married to their high school boyfriend.

I think aussies and poms actully mix a lot less than many would have it, think of how many (much older) UK women out here complain they cant 'fit in' with aussie housewifes, they all stay home, knew each other since school etc. , Nearly all the english women here mix with manily other poms, you see it especially in the school circuit, english families very much tend to seek each other out, just an observation, like in UK aussies head for the walkabout club to meet other aussies.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The big suprise, is the boys adjusted and accepted her, with very little problem, the Girls won't budge though.

When I went back last year, I felt very comfortable there, I'd hate my Children to feel they had to live a certain role though, So from the point of view of kids having wider horizons, maybe Australia does have an advantage of hardly having any social stigma on anything they wish to do with their lives.

It really does seem, that the average young female (if there is such a thing) in Aussie, is a very different creature to their UK counterparts, Especially when it comes to trying to do things in an equal way, especially physical activity.

Once her Kiwi born, and Melbourne raised freind turns up, and two attractive antipodeans start skateboarding all over Mk's bike paths together, it's going to be quite a revalation for the locals lol. I never thought there would be such a difference, Maybe I shouldn't have taught her how to gut fish either lol !!
and people whinge about the bloody aussies. They're all as bad as each other!! There are people like this all over the world. The English variety are particularly trying due to lack of world and life experience, at least the Aussie variety have more life skills - I noticed if similarly narrow minded.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Its good to hear shes going along well. Would not worry about the mixing thing, its not uncommon to find travellers tend to stick with other travellers with similar outlook, a year or so of adventure. Take an english girl (or american or anything) arriving somewhere in OZ/NZ and and finding lots of girls married to their high school boyfriend.

I think aussies and poms actully mix a lot less than many would have it, think of how many (much older) UK women out here complain they cant 'fit in' with aussie housewifes, they all stay home, knew each other since school etc. , Nearly all the english women here mix with manily other poms, you see it especially in the school circuit, english families very much tend to seek each other out, just an observation, like in UK aussies head for the walkabout club to meet other aussies.
I know what you mean Jad. Its nothing to do with nationality here in this specific case (up to a point) its just someone at a stage in their live different to other people they meet with. Travellers always seek out travellers.

Have to admit, I never seek out Poms. To be honest, I find Australians where I live easier to relate to, as they have more life skills which makes them interesting. I find English blokes from many different backgrounds, all seem to have packaged life experiences, in to soccer and beer or music. Even a enlightened bloke will have little of the pragmatic skills I expect.
I am lucky in that I spent my late teens, twenties mixing with blokes who were academic, switched on, and outstanding sportsman, and with a bit of verve so am used to a balance.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Ozzieeagle - we've been in melbourne for about 9 months now, but prior to that I was working for Dixons Stores (hail themselves as being Europe's leading Electrical retailer - and they are). ANyway - they're based in Hemel Hempstead (an easy commute down the M1 from MK) and they're always on the lookout for good PR / admin / marketing people - in fact they tend to always be on the lookout. It's a pretty mixed age group cmpany - and right now they are expanding big time across Europe - especially the former eastern block countries. Justr before I left to come here - I spent 2 days a week working in Madrid / Stavanger / Oslo and was scheduled to travel to Hngary and Romania. In fact, I was tempted to postpone the emigration here because they asked me if I would live and work in Madrid for them. (I'm now 33 - so they have no problems with young people heading up big projects etc - as lo ng as you have the energy and the sense). They also tend to worry more about life experience and ability than out and out qualifications when they hire you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe your daughter should try working there - opportunities for company sponsored travel and education (language skills / self development / tertiary education sponsorship / professional body membership sponsored etc) and they are a huge organisation so are keen to offer employees the chance to move around departments and divisions. Also she may find the young guns there share her outlook on life a bit - most of the folk there are keen to get involved in some of the multinational / cross discipline projects that go on - and there's a huge social scene there too

On the social front - I think it might just be MK girls - I know plenty of poeple at 20 who have no intention of settling down and who have a great desire to see the world. (I know I did even then - ahh how llife changes, now 33, married and have a baby - but hey I DID make it to the other side of the world).

She sounds like a hard working girl with a sense of adventure - so sounds like she'll be right. Best of luck to her.

(Expecting our little un to do the same when she grows up - in fact hope she does - it gives a great outlook on life - she has the dual nationality too)
Old Feb 12th 2006, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Ozzieeagle
As an aussie Id expect my kids to get itchy feet and want to travel; plenty of us do and I think its partly because of the ease of obtaining work permits in the UK.
The travellers I met mainly fell into 2 camps; work to travel or work to gain money/experience with travel thrown in.
I found temping jobs relatively easy to get, never met an aussie who was unemployed, and saw plenty of aussies who had really great permanent jobs. We were very different from our English counterparts though - even those with more profesional jobs took their own lunches to work and went off travelling for months at a time.
Once I'd met someone and settled down though I found it increasingly difficult to get permanent work and to get on especially with the women. I guess this is because I was entering a more professional job market instead of turning my hand to anything, and I was meeting more people from the Uk rather than fellow travellers.
Whatever anyone says the culture is very different between UK and Oz. I remember being laughed at at work once for saying so....but speaking the same language does not make you the same!
Most aussies I knew eventually returned home, richer in experience and sometimes, money! A lot had problems readjusting to Australia initially, especially not having any recent aussie work experience, but this was a small price to pay.
I did find that once I was in work my pay and responsibilities increased very quickly. Managers seemed to like my work ethic! on the other hand English colleagues said I worked too efficiently and made them look bad.
I also found that settling down made me more homesick than at any other time in my life.
Im sure your daughter will be back before she knows it, richer in friendships and experience, and maybe she'll even understand her dad just that little bit more!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Heres the negativity though... and it maybe hard to take for some readers. She cannot get along with English girls of her own age. She finds them very narrow in their outlook, Maybe it's Milton Keynes, although when one compares country towns in Aussie, the young females don't seem to have such narrow horizons as the English girls do. She finds them almost all universely determined to settle down with one person and have families. Anything beyond this narrow outlook on life, is viewed with suspicion and distrust.
I can understand that, too. But I bet you find that all the girls in Milton Keynes with some get-up-and-go have probably already got-up-and-gone - so only the ones with the narrow-outlook are left!

I grew up in a small UK town and my only ambition was to leave it. So I did.
Went back for a school reunion a few years ago. The girls with an ounce of sense had left like me and were scattered all over the UK and Europe (three of us had made it to Australia). The girls who'd stayed and spent the last 30 years in the same small town - well I wasn't the slightest bit surprised about it. They tended to be the daft ones who got pregnant at 16 or those whose only ambition was to get married and live next door to their Mums.

I bet your daughter would find more like-minded souls if she moved to London....
Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nickyc
or those whose only ambition was to get married and live next door to their Mums.
they're also the ones that get bored in their 40s, move to Australia and then miss their Mums and their small ambitions. Then want to move back!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
they're also the ones that get bored in their 40s, move to Australia and then miss their Mums and their small ambitions. Then want to move back!
Well, I didn't want to say that - but since you mention it... I have to agree with you.

I never hold much hope for migrants who've spent their adult life around the corner from their Mums!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, I didn't want to say that - but since you mention it... I have to agree with you.

I never hold much hope for migrants who've spent their adult life around the corner from their Mums!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear that your daughter is for the most part enjoying herself. I used to live down the M1 from MK and have friends who either work there or live there. Although there is some high income families, as well as your general run of the mill, there are a lot of social housing, single parents, and people who get sent there from other areas.

The CAB is big there and constantly have floods of young girls coming in with pregnancy woes etc.

There is probably more of "must get a man, have a kid, get a council house" mentality there than other big towns in the vicinity.

Hope it doesn't colour her views of her contemporaries too much. They are not all like that.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BenandPam
Ozzieeagle - we've been in melbourne for about 9 months now, but prior to that I was working for Dixons Stores (hail themselves as being Europe's leading Electrical retailer - and they are). ANyway - they're based in Hemel Hempstead (an easy commute down the M1 from MK) and they're always on the lookout for good PR / admin / marketing people - in fact they tend to always be on the lookout. It's a pretty mixed age group cmpany - and right now they are expanding big time across Europe - especially the former eastern block countries. Justr before I left to come here - I spent 2 days a week working in Madrid / Stavanger / Oslo and was scheduled to travel to Hngary and Romania. In fact, I was tempted to postpone the emigration here because they asked me if I would live and work in Madrid for them. (I'm now 33 - so they have no problems with young people heading up big projects etc - as lo ng as you have the energy and the sense). They also tend to worry more about life experience and ability than out and out qualifications when they hire you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe your daughter should try working there - opportunities for company sponsored travel and education (language skills / self development / tertiary education sponsorship / professional body membership sponsored etc) and they are a huge organisation so are keen to offer employees the chance to move around departments and divisions. Also she may find the young guns there share her outlook on life a bit - most of the folk there are keen to get involved in some of the multinational / cross discipline projects that go on - and there's a huge social scene there too

On the social front - I think it might just be MK girls - I know plenty of poeple at 20 who have no intention of settling down and who have a great desire to see the world. (I know I did even then - ahh how llife changes, now 33, married and have a baby - but hey I DID make it to the other side of the world).

She sounds like a hard working girl with a sense of adventure - so sounds like she'll be right. Best of luck to her.

(Expecting our little un to do the same when she grows up - in fact hope she does - it gives a great outlook on life - she has the dual nationality too)

Many thanks for the positive suggestions, I will run the possibilty of Dixons as an employer, when I finally catch up with her. I expect a lot of people will have their children go back and check out the old country as time goes by. Thats one of the reasons I posted this thread.

I can understand that, too. But I bet you find that all the girls in Milton Keynes with some get-up-and-go have probably already got-up-and-gone - so only the ones with the narrow-outlook are left!

I grew up in a small UK town and my only ambition was to leave it. So I did.
Went back for a school reunion a few years ago. The girls with an ounce of sense had left like me and were scattered all over the UK and Europe (three of us had made it to Australia). The girls who'd stayed and spent the last 30 years in the same small town - well I wasn't the slightest bit surprised about it. They tended to be the daft ones who got pregnant at 16 or those whose only ambition was to get married and live next door to their Mums.

I bet your daughter would find more like-minded souls if she moved to London....

Makes a lot of sense to me, Nicky, I think your right on the ball there. However why the gender difference, or the ability to change ones attitude and response, from the boys.

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Glad to hear that your daughter is for the most part enjoying herself. I used to live down the M1 from MK and have friends who either work there or live there. Although there is some high income families, as well as your general run of the mill, there are a lot of social housing, single parents, and people who get sent there from other areas.

The CAB is big there and constantly have floods of young girls coming in with pregnancy woes etc.

There is probably more of "must get a man, have a kid, get a council house" mentality there than other big towns in the vicinity.

Hope it doesn't colour her views of her contemporaries too much. They are not all like that.
I suppose there is an element of this behaviour around some of the country towns in Aussie. Hopefully if she can get to stay in London for a while, her opinion may change dramatically.

She thinks that overall, that English people are not very warm to newcomers, amongst them. That the boys are also very aggressive to each other, especially if they encounter newcomers to their pub or other frequented places.

I wonder how much this experience is changing her outlook or more particularly her approach to life.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 13th 2006 at 2:29 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.