Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

There she goes......

There she goes......

Old Sep 24th 2005, 12:34 pm
Badge

Default Re: There she goes......

Originally Posted by Banksia
And does 14k GBP go as far as $A35,000? The Economist's McDonald's Index suggests it doesn't.
I reckon the aussie salary would go further. 14k is almost the minimum wage for just about any white collar job is it not - they were paying grads in London that 8-10 years ago so I'd expect a grad to get 20k now??

Badge

Old Sep 24th 2005, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I think this whole process of my Daughters experience is going to be a very interesting exercise. Seeing as she has been solely brought up here, has Aussie values. Yet has a much larger extended family in the uk, who will almost certainly embrace her, and I'm sure she will relate to the quickly.

She does like the matieralistic side of things that the UK, could well bring. I've got a feeling that given the right job, she could well have a hell of a lot more disposable income than she had here. Plus all of that excitment of the UK being 365/24/7 in a real sense rather than having to search that out in small corners of Melbourne and Sydney, will probably appeal to her greatly. Let alone the freshness and the excitment of Europe on the doorstep.

However, the space, the time that people have for one another here, the sunshine, the ease of living, her immediate family and lifetime freinds are going to be one hell of an opposing force.

I wonder how a current 20 year old, or more particuarly this Aussie born and bred 20 year old will see this.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 12:56 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I think this whole process of my Daughters experience is going to be a very interesting exercise. Seeing as she has been solely brought up here, has Aussie values. Yet has a much larger extended family in the uk, who will almost certainly embrace her, and I'm sure she will relate to the quickly.

She does like the matieralistic side of things that the UK, could well bring. I've got a feeling that given the right job, she could well have a hell of a lot more disposable income than she had here. Plus all of that excitment of the UK being 365/24/7 in a real sense rather than having to search that out in small corners of Melbourne and Sydney, will probably appeal to her greatly. Let alone the freshness and the excitment of Europe on the doorstep.

However, the space, the time that people have for one another here, the sunshine, the ease of living, her immediate family and lifetime freinds are going to be one hell of an opposing force.

I wonder how a current 20 year old, or more particuarly this Aussie born and bred 20 year old will see this.

there is a big difference between 20 and 30. It might take 10 years, a partner and kids, but she might be back. If she can get all her eggs in one basket, she might stay, but getting all your eggs in the one is quite an ask.

Badge

Old Sep 24th 2005, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there I hope that your daughter enjoys her life in the UK. We will be in similar position probably in a couple of years as our 16 year old is only coming over because there are really no alternatives for him. He is planning to stay to get citizenship so that he can come back if he wants later and then plans to return to the UK for work and/or Uni. The other choice is to go to the US to stay with grandparents for Uni but which ever he chooses at the moment OZ isn't on the cards. I am sure that if he doesn't change his mind then it will be hard to watch him go but it is something that he has the right to decide just as we have chosen to go to OZ.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 2:18 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=ozzieeagle]
Originally Posted by ELLJAY

This is the kind of question I was hopeing for. All of my children were born here in Aussie. They have only visited england once, My 20 year olds only visit was when she was 18 months old. (we didn't take the older two adult children on our recent visit) So this trip, is basically a trial, unless England suits her better.

Her dual nationality gives her the choice of living in England and Europe, or living here. As she is primarily a white collar worker, with high aspirations and expectations, It is very probable that she will earn a lot more in the UK, and have much better prospects. Defining quality of life is a relative issue, and from that point of view, she will decide for herself. I've got no idea, however I suspect that a 20 year old will find the UK, a much more rewarding place than Aussie in all areas, including what she would call quality of life. It's once one has a family that things change, however she has the choice of living in both countries, and she is now exercising that choice.

A lot of people migrating are probably going to face the same issue as me, with at least some of their children, wanting the perceived better prospects and choices that the UK, and most importantly now Europe offers.

I'm suprised that I havn't seen anyone else in a similar situation to our familys with this issue with my 20 year old, as other BBS's that I visit have some very transitory white collar workers, that flit around all over the world.

Just to go back to the first part of your post, I migrated here, with my Aussie born wife, back in 1980.

If I were in a similar situation to yourself, I wouldn't let the prospect of one of my kids going back to the UK deter me, I would see it as a choice of having two areas of the world in which I can spend the latter years of my life.
My husbands Auntie left the UK to Perth around 1980, her three children were only small at the time. Now they are in their early 20's they can't wait to leave Australia and start a new life here in the UK. One is already here and the other two are planning their trip, the other is travelling Oz.

They all have dual nationality too and see living/moving to the Uk as exciting as many on this website see moving to Oz exciting. Their mother however feels very sad and left alone but thats one of the issues like yourself that she will have to face if they have dual nationality. She would love to return too but can't afford to move her life back here.

Good luck to your daughter. Nottingham wages would pay around the figure your daughter is looking for so I'm sure she wont have a problem.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

One week in for my Daughter, Loves it already, however thats just a first view. My Brother and his wife have made her very welcome, With lots of people of her own age brought in to keep her interested.

She is already driving around, in my brothers car Independantly, also I dont know how my brother wangled this, but a freind of his is coming to Aussie for a 6 month look, with a view to migration. I'm having this freind come here, My daughter gets to drive this fellows very late model beemer. Consequence one elated bling loving girl.

all her integration problems, IE: bank accounts, national insurance, mobile phone etc, have been solved by this mob http://www.1stcontact.co.uk/live/index.php...

She hasn't started to look for a job yet, because of having to visit relations around the country, most notably grandparents in wales. She has plenty of offers of shared accom, from cousins, and my brothers freinds, at 50 quid per week, and with projected earnings of around minimum 250 quid take home through to 300 quid, feels that she will have more disposable income than she has ever had in her life.

Lets see what reality brings.

Anyway so far very very good.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

I live in Milton Keynes and have done for the past 12 years for my sins. There are plenty of employment agencies here and I don't think she'll have any problem at all picking up a job earning MORE than 14k. There are some big national employers here including Abbey (although they are laying people off at the moment). As you already stated she is 45 minutes from London by train and a lot of people commute from here. I think she'll be fine and have no problems at all.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One of the reasons I started this thread, was to show how difficult it is for someone to establish themselves into a new country. How one has to change to the local conditions, how ones past experiences and education can only open so many doors, and maybe not the ones you expect.

It's been two full months since my Daughter arrived in the UK. Two of the things that have stood out the most to her, have been that she thinks that people are far more aggressive to one another in the UK, than they are here in "laid back" Aussie. The other is the shopping experience is so much better on all fronts in the UK, From choice to price. She particularly likes the fact that she can browse in upmarket shops, like the ones you get here in Chapel Street Melbourne, without being hassled continuously, by over zealous shop workers, with the ever so intrusive "can I help yous".

The Job front for her has been very tricky, She was travelling very nicely here in Melbourne, being able to walk into any job in her Field at will and command a very good wage for someone of her age. Office Admin at circa 35,000 AUD. She has trawled the Agencies through Milton Keynes, and up until this week could only come up with "data entry" type temp jobs, at circa 7 quid per hour. Thats despite it being the busiest time of year in the UK. Possibly the reason for this could be that no one was willing to take a punt, on employing a Aussie raised and educated young person, full time, in a decent job, in case she only stayed a while. If that wasn't the reason, then she has no Idea why she wasn't getting offered jobs at the same level that she was employed at in Melbourne. She would have gone to at least 30 interviews.

Finally this week, a Marketing company has taken her on "temporarily" until Xmas, however this company utilises all her past skills, she is getting terrific feed back from her new employer, and they are already talking about making her permanent. It's taken at least 6 weeks of full out searching for her to get to a position that is just the equal of what she had here in Aussie. Hopefully she will realise her potential and this position starts off what she actually went to the UK, to do. Which is to get as good a job, and career path which utilises all her skills, whatever educational pathway she has to take.

Going to a new country is not easy eh ?
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

One of the reasons I started this thread, was to show how difficult it is for someone to establish themselves into a new country. How one has to change to the local conditions, how ones past experiences and education can only open so many doors, and maybe not the ones you expect.

It's been two full months since my Daughter arrived in the UK. Two of the things that have stood out the most to her, have been that she thinks that people are far more aggressive to one another in the UK, than they are here in "laid back" Aussie. The other is the shopping experience is so much better on all fronts in the UK, From choice to price. She particularly likes the fact that she can browse in upmarket shops, like the ones you get here in Chapel Street Melbourne, without being hassled continuously, by over zealous shop workers, with the ever so intrusive "can I help yous".

The Job front for her has been very tricky, She was travelling very nicely here in Melbourne, being able to walk into any job in her Field at will and command a very good wage for someone of her age. Office Admin at circa 35,000 AUD. She has trawled the Agencies through Milton Keynes, and up until this week could only come up with "data entry" type temp jobs, at circa 7 quid per hour. Thats despite it being the busiest time of year in the UK. Possibly the reason for this could be that no one was willing to take a punt, on employing a Aussie raised and educated young person, full time, in a decent job, in case she only stayed a while. If that wasn't the reason, then she has no Idea why she wasn't getting offered jobs at the same level that she was employed at in Melbourne. She would have gone to at least 30 interviews.

Finally this week, a Marketing company has taken her on "temporarily" until Xmas, however this company utilises all her past skills, she is getting terrific feed back from her new employer, and they are already talking about making her permanent. It's taken at least 6 weeks of full out searching for her to get to a position that is just the equal of what she had here in Aussie. Hopefully she will realise her potential and this position starts off what she actually went to the UK, to do. Which is to get as good a job, and career path which utilises all her skills, whatever educational pathway she has to take.

Thanks for letting us know how your daughter is getting on and I am glad that it is working out for her. It gives me hope that Sam, or any of the others for that matter will find their feet no matter what they choose to do in the future whether it is here or overseas. It is hard to imagine at times though that they won't love it here as much as we do.
Nicky
Old Nov 25th 2005, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NickyP
Thanks for letting us know how your daughter is getting on and I am glad that it is working out for her. It gives me hope that Sam, or any of the others for that matter will find their feet no matter what they choose to do in the future whether it is here or overseas. It is hard to imagine at times though that they won't love it here as much as we do.
Nicky

Big test of her resolve to stay there is coming up, when one of her best freinds, a Kiwi born, and bred, secondary school freind. Goes to the UK and then leaves after 6 months. They plan to do a bit of travelling together, although how that ties in with my Daughters career aspirations god knows.

All I know is my Daughter plans to celebrate her 21st in Ibiza, in March next year, damn it LOL !

My guess at this stage is, if she gets through all of that, the only time we will get to see her, is when she is ready to settle down, with a boyfreind in tow. Unless she gets "super job"
Old Nov 25th 2005, 4:53 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Big test of her resolve to stay there is coming up, when one of her best freinds, a Kiwi born, and bred, secondary school freind. Goes to the UK and then leaves after 6 months. They plan to do a bit of travelling together, although how that ties in with my Daughters career aspirations god knows.

All I know is my Daughter plans to celebrate her 21st in Ibiza, in March next year, damn it LOL !

My guess at this stage is, if she gets through all of that, the only time we will get to see her, is when she is ready to settle down, with a boyfreind in tow. Unless she gets "super job"
Hi ozzieeagle,

Great ot hear the update on your daughter. Was thinking about her. We are about to face the coldest winter ever this year - so that should be interesting for her. What age was she when you went to Australia? or was she born there?

Keep us updated on how she finds life here in UK. It will be really interesting to see.

I wonder - will the grass be greener on the other side for everyone. Will wherever we live - we will always want to try somewhere else? Interesting Friday dilemma. Thanks for your post. I'll await the next instalment!

Have a good day.

L-j
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Glad to hear she has landed a job.
It doesn't surprise me she has found it so hard. Her chosen career path is one of the most popular in the UK - the whole media/PR scene is HUGE and I'd take a guess that she is competing with hundreds of fellow applicants for each job.
But now she's got her foot in the door she will probably find that one thing leads to another.
More often than not it's all about who you know not what you know in the UK. Unless you have a really stand-out background/education then it's all about contacts in this industry.
But she sounds very determined - she's done well to get a job so quickly and not get disheartened so I'm sure she'll be fine.
Guess it's going to be hard for all of you now that Xmas is coming up - I'm sure it will be weird being apart.
I think she'll enjoy the whole Xmas in the UK thing though - I hate the cold but even I admit there is something special about the UK Xmas atmosphere.
Good luck to you all
Old Nov 25th 2005, 6:07 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Good to hear an update on your daughters progress ozzieeagle!!

Sounds to me like she will do just fine! The determination to succeed is so obviously there, something that is lacking in a lot of UK workers. Like others have said, the hardest part is always getting a step up onto the first rung. In her chosen industry, it is very much about recent experience and who you know. Make sure you tell her to hone her networking skills and get herself known by as many people as possible. It's a surprisingly small market place over here!
When I worked in sales a few years ago, new positions were always offered to me by contacts or companies I had dealt with in my day to day business. What Im trying to say is, she will be able to do away with the whole job hunting, agency thing by using her networking skills.
Good luck to her.....and Ibiza is fantastic! Advise her to get the ferry to Formentera for a couple of days R&R whilst she's there, pure bliss!!

Old Nov 25th 2005, 6:22 am
Pet
Forum Regular

Pet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nice

Hi ozzieeagle, your story is my worst nightmare. We came out in 1981 when my girls were both very small. My eldest was back on holiday three years ago and altho she had a great time was more than happy to be back. Now my youngest is leaving mid December for a 6 week holiday with all our rellies and I'm terrified that she will want to go back permanently. She was only 5 the last time she was back.

Her cousins are sure to give her a great time out and about and she is also doing a Contiki tour through part of Europe. One of the great things about UK is closeness to Europe and also it's now very cheap to get there. She is a teacher and is coming back to a great promotion next year but who knows if this trip will give her the wanderlust. Whatever will be will be eh? I just hope she has a brilliant time, but still calls Perth home. I think she is going to get a bit of a shock with the North East weather tho. Best wishes to your daughter she sounds to be doing fine.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I came out here in 1980, with my Aussie wife, all my children were born here, So they are Australians with dual nationality, with the bonus of a very large extended, close knit family in the UK. I/we keep in far more contact with our UK relations than we do the Aussie ones.

So far the cold weather hasn't fazed her, although it has turned dramatically colder at the end of this week in the UK. We haven't talked to her this weekend yet. She said "just like Melbourne, only with ice". I wonder if she will say anything different after this latest bout of cold weather.

Oh she has said that she plans to holiday here next Xmas 2006. It's good to know when you will see someone next.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.