Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is there a Pharmacist in the house??

Is there a Pharmacist in the house??

Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

heed87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there a Pharmacist in the house??

Hi All

I'm a doctor in the UK and my partner (a retail pharmacist) and I are hoping to make the move to oz in 2012. We are in the process of completing the necessary steps for registration as a pharmacist in Australia, however I've heard it can be difficult to secure a job to allow you to complete the required supervised practise.

Was wondering if there were any pharmacists or anyone with any knowledge of pharmacy in australia who may be able to advise or give us any handy hints/contatcts??

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there a Pharmacist in the house??

I know a pharmacist who migrated to Australia from South Africa. I know that he had to spend 6 months being supervised as a pharmacy assistant as part of the process. Have you had a look at: http://www.pharmacycouncil.org.au/index.html?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

The missus is one but can't give much advice I'm afraid.

We went to Oz on a WHV back end of 2005. She had to secure a 4 week placement and then an exam at the end. But it was true then that getting the placement was extremely difficult. She must have visited around 70 Sydney pharmacies in person before she finally managed to get somewhere to do it. And that was only because he was half Irish and planning to emigrate to Dublin (my wife is Irish).

Be prepared that she may need to offer to do it for free - though I believe it states it must be a paid position. So a little dishonesty may be required

They guy did emigrate so can't give him as a contact now anyway.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

have looked into all the requirements etc and we are just arranging things now for sending away documents, sitting the exam etc - the only bit I can see being an issue is finding someone to take you on for the four-week placement.

Is your other half still working as a pharmacist in oz? Or are you now back in the UK?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by heed87
have looked into all the requirements etc and we are just arranging things now for sending away documents, sitting the exam etc - the only bit I can see being an issue is finding someone to take you on for the four-week placement.

Is your other half still working as a pharmacist in oz? Or are you now back in the UK?
Back in UK at present but going back out in a few months once Visa sorted. She kept up her registration but foolishly allowed it to lapse last year. Got offered a job at a place she was at on the WHV and we decided to take it up. Pharmacy board have granted her conditional registration again but she has to complete 4 weeks supervised before she can practice alone. No exam though. Obviously this 4 weeks will be done where she is working.

Where abouts are you heading to?

Could be easier to try to get 4 weeks somewhere out of the major cities even if it means having to stay away during that time?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steen1976
Back in UK at present but going back out in a few months once Visa sorted. She kept up her registration but foolishly allowed it to lapse last year. Got offered a job at a place she was at on the WHV and we decided to take it up. Pharmacy board have granted her conditional registration again but she has to complete 4 weeks supervised before she can practice alone. No exam though. Obviously this 4 weeks will be done where she is working.

Where abouts are you heading to?

Could be easier to try to get 4 weeks somewhere out of the major cities even if it means having to stay away during that time?
Thanks steen1976 - how did your wife find the CAOP exam do you know? Have heard many mixed reports but there doesn't appear to be any particularly reputable sources on the net to get an accurate view!

Ideally we would be heading to somewhere urban solely for the reason that I'm a doctor and not long qualified so its easier to get jobs in urban areas. Not necessarily state capitals but would quite happily go to somewhere like Newcastle or Cairns or Geelong etc to get our foot in the door. Most jobs I have been looking at are year long contracts with possibility to stay etc so would be looking to apply for permanent residence when I was out there.

I have been hunting and hunting for weeks and have compiled a pretty meaty list of pharmacies so it will be virtual CV-dropping until we can get out to Oz on holiday and maybe get some interviews or something while we are there!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by heed87
Thanks steen1976 - how did your wife find the CAOP exam do you know? Have heard many mixed reports but there doesn't appear to be any particularly reputable sources on the net to get an accurate view!

Ideally we would be heading to somewhere urban solely for the reason that I'm a doctor and not long qualified so its easier to get jobs in urban areas. Not necessarily state capitals but would quite happily go to somewhere like Newcastle or Cairns or Geelong etc to get our foot in the door. Most jobs I have been looking at are year long contracts with possibility to stay etc so would be looking to apply for permanent residence when I was out there.

I have been hunting and hunting for weeks and have compiled a pretty meaty list of pharmacies so it will be virtual CV-dropping until we can get out to Oz on holiday and maybe get some interviews or something while we are there!
I quote "a piece of piss". However that was 2005 and I believe it has changed and is much harder now from what I understand. So her opinion could well be very outdated!

Yeah I just thought the capitals would be hardest to secure something so other towns or regional may present more opportunities but we're no experts really. Might be worth checking out where the pharmacy schools are and when they graduate as that could have a bearing - i.e. impossible to get something in the couple of months after graduation.

Rates vary as well. She still gets emails from some of the locum agencies out there and some locum rates are as low as $35ph. Though $50 would be more usual. So it's not as well paid across the board as it is here really.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steen1976
I quote "a piece of piss". However that was 2005 and I believe it has changed and is much harder now from what I understand. So her opinion could well be very outdated!

Yeah I just thought the capitals would be hardest to secure something so other towns or regional may present more opportunities but we're no experts really. Might be worth checking out where the pharmacy schools are and when they graduate as that could have a bearing - i.e. impossible to get something in the couple of months after graduation.

Rates vary as well. She still gets emails from some of the locum agencies out there and some locum rates are as low as $35ph. Though $50 would be more usual. So it's not as well paid across the board as it is here really.
hopefully will indeed be a "piece of piss" in 2011 aswell! I think they have made the exam longer in terms of time allowed to complete it - but have kept the number of questions the same so fingers crossed!

The plan would ultimately be for my partner to get a job in hospital pharmacy - he has been a retail pharmacist for four years but he feels hospital pharmacy is where his future lies. Just the small matter of finding a job now!