Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

there is a bright side of life

there is a bright side of life

Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:03 pm
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road
Default there is a bright side of life

My wife and I are new members to this site and we have replied to several threads to assist where possible with known information rather than any guess work. We have just completed our medicals and are hoping to relocate one hour north of Sydney about July time this year. However the shine has been a little taken away by the many moans and groans on this site and several people looking to return before they have even given it a good go. Yes I am a realist and I do know that if you cannot get a job things do seem difficult, but it's the same the world over it will take at least 4-5 months to secure a professional role in the UK as well..plan to give it time.
My parents emigrated 2 years ago just ouside Gosford and they are loving it the best thing they have ever done and they are 72 years old!!!! my brother also visited Aus on a gap year 16 years ago and did not return loves it too bits working in the CBD Syd. and 15 mins later via the jet cat is on the beach in the sun 8-9 months a year...where else on earth can you do this??? also having spent xmas in Syd. tell me where else is better on new years eve that circular quay eating a fantastic chinese meal, watching the fireworks in shorts with a few cold beers.
I am really up for our move and so is the family but a lot of the threads make us feel uneasy so I wanted to paint a slightly sunnier view to live. we only live once, there is no dress rehearsal, change can be viewed two ways + or - let me share some negative emotions to change, denial, anger, depression, pessimism the opposites or positives are curiosity, Interest, involvement, optimism,excitement, control and new opportunities, you decide the glasses you view the world through, take up the challenge it will make you a better person.
If you have some supportive comments I would love to hear them, if you have negative ones ( keep them to yourself) no only joking!! just think about the point you are trying to make first.
Looking on the brightside.
G&T
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Great post

It really annoys me when people don't plan properly, expect too much, don't give it enough time and then wonder why it all falls apart.

Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Sydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really nice

That's why we're known as Winging Pomme's. Because for alot the cap does fit!!!

Live for today & look on the bright side of life!!!!!!!
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:46 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: there is a bright side of life

Originally posted by Gary / Terri
My wife and I are new members to this site and we have replied to several threads to assist where possible with known information rather than any guess work. We have just completed our medicals and are hoping to relocate one hour north of Sydney about July time this year. However the shine has been a little taken away by the many moans and groans on this site and several people looking to return before they have even given it a good go. Yes I am a realist and I do know that if you cannot get a job things do seem difficult, but it's the same the world over it will take at least 4-5 months to secure a professional role in the UK as well..plan to give it time.
My parents emigrated 2 years ago just ouside Gosford and they are loving it the best thing they have ever done and they are 72 years old!!!! my brother also visited Aus on a gap year 16 years ago and did not return loves it too bits working in the CBD Syd. and 15 mins later via the jet cat is on the beach in the sun 8-9 months a year...where else on earth can you do this??? also having spent xmas in Syd. tell me where else is better on new years eve that circular quay eating a fantastic chinese meal, watching the fireworks in shorts with a few cold beers.
I am really up for our move and so is the family but a lot of the threads make us feel uneasy so I wanted to paint a slightly sunnier view to live. we only live once, there is no dress rehearsal, change can be viewed two ways + or - let me share some negative emotions to change, denial, anger, depression, pessimism the opposites or positives are curiosity, Interest, involvement, optimism,excitement, control and new opportunities, you decide the glasses you view the world through, take up the challenge it will make you a better person.
If you have some supportive comments I would love to hear them, if you have negative ones ( keep them to yourself) no only joking!! just think about the point you are trying to make first.
G&T
Sometimes (alot lately) I wish I didn't know about this site. I've had great help and support from the likes of Mrs Neal and Pollster.

I am having serious doubts, not from our experience in Perth, but from the posts that have well and truely removed my 'rosies'.

Because we went to Perth almost a year ago it is very hard to keep hold of ones perspective. I thought I was totally up for it and wouldn't be budged, but the threads along the lines of:

'I'm a Pom Get Me Out of Here'

have really made me think hard. Plus the thought of all we have to do to get there - you know- house sale and all. I know I have to 'get real' as one poster put it, but I think what has happened is that I now am fearing the worst. Good job Pommie Bastard doesn't post anymore ' I'd have slit me wrists by now !

I blabbed on here a while ago it's all about attitude and your post is so true, I just wish I could get my positive head back as I'll never make a go of it feeling like this. All that sh*t I wrote about giving it my best shot - feel like I lied and I think if I was transported there now I would be as miserable as sin !

I'm driving myself and my poor Warren mad.

Unfortunatley this rollercoaster has been stuck too long in the dip. I have this morbid addiction and even though I know at times I may not like what I read I still do it.

So I'm with you Gary / Terry bring on some positive stuff pleeeeeese............

Jill

Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:56 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I think it is quite easy to get stuck in the doldrums because of all the stress, worry, fear of the unknown etc etc but you have to keep thinking about what made you start on this road in the first place.

This forum isn't the best for putting out a positive image of NZ and yes that has knocked my rosies a bit too - but I am looking at it like if that is the worst then the place cannot fail to live up to my expectations!

Remember as well that it is miserable UK winter and that always makes people feel down and miserable - as soon as you see the Perth sunshine ( or the UK sun in August - whatever comes first!!!) you will feel tons better.

Stick with it girl - you know it will be worth it in the end - and even if it isn't and you come home - what an adventure!!

keep a in your head to use in times of emergency!

And a big up for more positive posts!!
Old Feb 6th 2004, 6:05 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by Pollster
I think it is quite easy to get stuck in the doldrums because of all the stress, worry, fear of the unknown etc etc but you have to keep thinking about what made you start on this road in the first place.

This forum isn't the best for putting out a positive image of NZ and yes that has knocked my rosies a bit too - but I am looking at it like if that is the worst then the place cannot fail to live up to my expectations!

Remember as well that it is miserable UK winter and that always makes people feel down and miserable - as soon as you see the Perth sunshine ( or the UK sun in August - whatever comes first!!!) you will feel tons better.

Stick with it girl - you know it will be worth it in the end - and even if it isn't and you come home - what an adventure!!

keep a in your head to use in times of emergency!

And a big up for more positive posts!!

Knew you'd come to the rescue !!

Thinking of a career in councelling when you get to Oz ?- you'd be fantastic and can I be your first client / headcase?

That's a thought- perhaps we should be offered councelling ?after all it could be classed as 'Post traumatic stress syndrome' Get it ? as in 'post' - arh well, off to have crispy duck on the sofa with a large G and T - in frount of the fire - with a good man (who derserves better than all this hassle from me) AND YES FRIENDS IS BACK !!!!

Take care Pollster - you star

Jill

Old Feb 6th 2004, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I have given up posting positive vibes on here...i save it for the other site.
By posting about my happiness and the good things i have found in my new country, i am either ignored for being fairly new here, or ridiculed for being happy .... i dont like like the way it makes me feel, so therefore i am now a waffler with nothing important to say....
Old Feb 6th 2004, 6:27 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
By posting about my happiness and the good things i have found in my new country, i am either ignored for being fairly new here, or ridiculed for being happy .... i dont like like the way it makes me feel, so therefore i am now a waffler with nothing important to say....
And a very professional start you have made
Old Feb 6th 2004, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

LOL.thankyou Bix..i like to excel at everything i do
Old Feb 6th 2004, 6:30 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Sometimes (alot lately) I wish I didn't know about this site. I've had great help and support from the likes of Mrs Neal and Pollster.

I am having serious doubts, not from our experience in Perth, but from the posts that have well and truely removed my 'rosies'.

Because we went to Perth almost a year ago it is very hard to keep hold of ones perspective. I thought I was totally up for it and wouldn't be budged, but the threads along the lines of:

'I'm a Pom Get Me Out of Here'

have really made me think hard. Plus the thought of all we have to do to get there - you know- house sale and all. I know I have to 'get real' as one poster put it, but I think what has happened is that I now am fearing the worst. Good job Pommie Bastard doesn't post anymore ' I'd have slit me wrists by now !

I blabbed on here a while ago it's all about attitude and your post is so true, I just wish I could get my positive head back as I'll never make a go of it feeling like this. All that sh*t I wrote about giving it my best shot - feel like I lied and I think if I was transported there now I would be as miserable as sin !

I'm driving myself and my poor Warren mad.

Unfortunatley this rollercoaster has been stuck too long in the dip. I have this morbid addiction and even though I know at times I may not like what I read I still do it.

So I'm with you Gary / Terry bring on some positive stuff pleeeeeese............

Jill

hiya Jill
I know what you mean about the morbid addiction!! I also know what you mean about the feelings of self doubt that start to creep in when you have been reading this forum for too long!!!
I can spend hours surfing around in here, but I now have started doing more searches, for info and piccies, of places in Oz using google etc. It breaks the monotony of this site........!!!!!
You WILL come out the other side of this!! And you will find you have much more positive attitude towards your move, because you will question everything you read, and instead of reading 'perth is lovely' and thinking ooooh cant wait, you start to question why is it lovely? what dont you like about it that I might?and vice versa! You also may have underestimated the amount of stuff you have picked up and taken on board without thinking - I for one never considered having a safety net ie enough money put aside NOT to be touched to use if we all needed to get back to the uk and start again! Its only because I have read enough 'get me out of here but I have no money' posts to think about what I would do! I surprised myself and my other half a couple of months ago when we were adding up one night and I suddenly said 'but we WILL need another £5k to put aside for emmergencies'!! He looked at me and said something about managing, but I insisted - we thought about it, with me telling him allsorts of horror stories Id read on here and he agreed!!!
So look for the positive in all the posts and work it to your advantage!

sue
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:21 pm
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gary / Terri
G&T
I'm with you. Change should be viewed as a new adventure. Lifes for living. You can watch or you can take part, there is no in between.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum
I think you really should ignore the others and be your positive self. I for one like it. We are also just at the beginning of the whole process, but people can put you off on this site.

Surely to make such a big move, you need to be optimistic and when you get there you still need that optimism which gets you through the taff times. The people who are trying to put the spanner in all the time, should also think, that their troubles ain't over when they return to the UK. All i want to say is my glass is half full and not half empty, and I would jump to the defence of anybody being treated badly for just being positiv!!!

Keep the spirit up!!!!!

Last edited by simbacat; Feb 6th 2004 at 8:30 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Swaffy will become famous soon enoughSwaffy will become famous soon enough

[
G&T

Something postive at last.
I have had a few second thoughts about our move since finding this site, but am positive about most things in life. I have taken things on board, thought about them and have come out of the other end still wanting to go for it.
What a good post, after last night's drama I spent far too long reading a lot of drivle.

You get one chance at this life, so what the f**k - go for it!

Angela
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

rich and debbie is an unknown quantity at this point

So glad I read this post as I have been feeling quite low this week and whilst not having any real doubts about going I had sort of lost my positive outlook about it through reading some of the stuff on here.
It is true about only getting one chance at this life and I'm going to grab it...
I feel better just for saying it now.
debbie
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:25 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rich and debbie
So glad I read this post as I have been feeling quite low this week and whilst not having any real doubts about going I had sort of lost my positive outlook about it through reading some of the stuff on here.
It is true about only getting one chance at this life and I'm going to grab it...
I feel better just for saying it now.
debbie
While it is nice to read 'positive' posts about how wonderful Australia is.
It is stupid to ignore the opposing views and pretend that they don't exist.

Unfortunately life has a way of kicking you in the balls every now and then as a reminder.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.