Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is there any "Statutory Redundancy Pay" in Aus?

Is there any "Statutory Redundancy Pay" in Aus?

Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Is there any "Statutory Redundancy Pay" in Aus?

Hi

The company DH works for are in the process of making some employees redundant. At the moment, DH's job is pretty "safe" but I've been trying to find out about Statutory Redundancy Pay over here, just in case (we're on a PR visa now, so at least don't have the added worries that we would have had if we were still on the 457).

So... any ideas? I've tried googling (both redundancy and retrenchment) but having no real luck.

Thanks in advance

TillyG
Old Dec 13th 2008, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there any "Statutory Redundancy Pay" in Aus?

Originally Posted by TillyG
Hi

The company DH works for are in the process of making some employees redundant. At the moment, DH's job is pretty "safe" but I've been trying to find out about Statutory Redundancy Pay over here, just in case (we're on a PR visa now, so at least don't have the added worries that we would have had if we were still on the 457).

So... any ideas? I've tried googling (both redundancy and retrenchment) but having no real luck.

Thanks in advance

TillyG
you should be able to find info (or links to it) here: www.workplace.gov.au

You'd probably be best looking for his particalar award. If you get stuck, let me know what he does for a living and I'll try and find it for you

EDIT: here is a little info, but you need to find his award really.
http://www.wo.gov.au/asp/index.asp?s...id=5370&id=770
Some industrial instruments such as Awards and Certified agreements provide workers with the right to receive payment in the case of redundancy. Redundancy payments usually depend on how long the worker has been continuously employed by the same employer.

Last edited by Wendy; Dec 13th 2008 at 3:12 am.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 4:05 am
ABCDiamond

Have a look at http://aussielegal.aol.com.au/inform...cDetailsID=717

Old Dec 13th 2008, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, thanks both of you.

I've no idea what his "award" is (or even what an award is... spot the girl who has never worked over here!) but will endeavour to find out.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks both of you.

I've no idea what his "award" is (or even what an award is... spot the girl who has never worked over here!) but will endeavour to find out.
An award (or workplace agreement) is a legal written document that sets out the minimum pay and conditions of employment for an industry or workplace.

So a bit like checking out his contract really, only an award is a minimum entitlement whereas his contract may offer more than the minimum required.

(hope that didn't confuse you more )
Old Dec 13th 2008, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

I think I get what you mean. I've not seen one of them, though, I think we have his contract around here somewhere along with his remuneration thing (gosh I'm technical aren't I? Bet I'm coming across as this really dizzy little wifey person!).

I'll trawl through the paperwork and see what I can find. At the moment, DH isn't too concerned about redundancy but me being me (and being all pregnant and hormonal) I'm just trying to get my head around things
Old Dec 13th 2008, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think I get what you mean. I've not seen one of them, though, I think we have his contract around here somewhere along with his remuneration thing (gosh I'm technical aren't I? Bet I'm coming across as this really dizzy little wifey person!).

I'll trawl through the paperwork and see what I can find. At the moment, DH isn't too concerned about redundancy but me being me (and being all pregnant and hormonal) I'm just trying to get my head around things

It's always good to know where you stand with things like this. If you go onto the workplace site and look on the menu down the left side of the screen you will see where it says 'Agreements, Awards and contracts' - that's where you should find his profession listed somewhere if you follow the links -what he can expect as a minimum should the worst happen should be somewhere in there.

Also I have just found this http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...ments/GEERSV2/