Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are there any solicitors moving to australia?

Wikiposts

Are there any solicitors moving to australia?

Old May 17th 2005, 8:17 am
Just Joined

sunnyclimbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are there any solicitors moving to australia?

Have any solicitors moved from the UK to Australia? If so, could you tell me about what retraining is required and who would employ you whilst you did so, and in what capacity. Many thanks.
Old May 17th 2005, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Are there any solicitors moving to australia?

Hi

Not sure how much I can help as we got visas based on my husband's skills as a hairdresser.

We are going to Queensland and based on research I have done for that state I can comment as follows:-

1. Got all my certificates together with academic transcripts copied and certified and then sent to one of the universities recommended by the QLD Legal Practitioners Board for assessment - fee $250

2. Sent off the assessment letter received from the university to the Legal Practitioners Board (apparently University also sends them a copy of the letter direct) I just scanned mine and emailed it to the Secretary of the Board. Board met end of April and decided based on assessment by University that I would require to undertake 5 courses in Constitutional, equity and administrative law, they also decided that I would have to undertake either 1 years articles or one year course (like a diploma - full time course!)

2 pieces of legislation (that detail the process) - sorry dont have to hand - will post when Im back at work - were helpful.

Once you have completed requirements, you then apply for admission to the Supreme Court.

I intend to apply regardless of what the Board has said based on my reading of the legislation and see what happens - if I have to appeal I will.

As for getting jobs - you can work as a paralegal. Im going to apply for jobs regardless as it will help my cause in terms of admission and if I need to appeal if things dont go my way.

Should do search for the various law societies for each state (they all have their own websites) as they contain info as to what you need to do - thats what I did.

All the best

atticus
Old May 17th 2005, 11:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atticus
As for getting jobs - you can work as a paralegal. Im going to apply for jobs regardless as it will help my cause in terms of admission and if I need to appeal if things dont go my way.
You can also work at a professional level if an Australian firm is happy with your English qualification. I've seen ads in the UK legal press from Australian law firms looking for English solicitors - maybe try this route?

Jeremy
Old May 17th 2005, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to jump on this thread, but have you come across any info re the Bar ? I passed the BVC but never completed pupillage and I would be interested to know whether these quals would be worth anything over there..ie allow me to "fast track" any legal exams in order to enter into practice.

Cheers

Chaval
Old May 17th 2005, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

Thanks JAJ

Yes JAJ is absolutely right - there are jobs advertised where they take on English lawyers.

Cant help re BAR question Im afraid. Like I said I can only comment on my experiences so far with Queensland as a solicitor.

atticus