Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are there any good state schools in Mount Eliza?

Wikiposts

Are there any good state schools in Mount Eliza?

Old Feb 6th 2006, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

penny31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are there any good state schools in Mount Eliza?

Originally Posted by OzTennis
You really are the most helpful person in the world, i really really appreciate all the trouble you have gone to, to give me this info, thanks very much. I will have a look at them all tonight! Jacky
Old Feb 6th 2006, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penny31
You really are the most helpful person in the world, i really really appreciate all the trouble you have gone to, to give me this info, thanks very much. I will have a look at them all tonight! Jacky
No worries, that's what the forum is mainly for - to exchange information and help others when you can.

OzTennis
Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Things over here are a bit different than in the UK. Everyone tends to be self employed and subcontract. There is loads of work around but it tends to be word of mouth rather than advertised. Its a case of just driving round the sites to find it once you are here. You could use this ite to search for companies in the housing industry via the menu on the left

http://www.mornington-peninsula.com/index.php

Andy

Thanks for that info and I'll keep that in mind, it would be really good to have somewhere to live!!! Also, I see you are a Carpenter (or I assume) My husband is a chippie, has been a supervisor for the last 10 years in Manufacturing doors, he was interested in Corinthian Doors, we have been on their website, can't find anything about employment opportunities though, he is 1st fix only and cabinet maker also. Would you have any recommendations on good companies that we can have a look at on the web? Thanks for your help, very grateful, Jacky
Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

caz41 will become famous soon enough

ME Sec sch sounds like a good option for us at the mo, looking at the replies fees seem a bit out of our range (with 3 little ones aswell). thanks for taking the time to reply, I may be asking for your help again in the not too distant future Thanks
Jacky
Hi Jacky

Just let me know if you need any other info and assistance.

good luck with the move

Caz
Old Feb 6th 2006, 3:22 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

I'm having a bad time searching the net for info on schools, it's all just too confusing for a mere mortal like me! Can you tell me if the following schools are state or private please. We think we would like to head for Mt Eliza but we won't know until we get there so we are looking all around. These schools seem to do well in the statistics tables that we found. Also what (ish) are the fees for private schools? We are not Catholic so if any of these are Catholic they are no good for us, we are Christian though if that helps! I have 3 children aged 10, 9 and 2, we are looking to buy house/land/cardboard box near to the secondary school, I'm not too fussed about primary at this stage. Hope to be in Aus in May (depending on house sale of course!) Thank you very much for any info you can give me, i really appreciate it, and I'm now off to bed!

Cheltenham sch in Cheltenham

Firbank in Brighton

Haileybury College in keysborough

Mentone girls gs Mentone
Mentone gs Mentone (whats the difference?)

Marantha Christian College in Endeavour Hills

Mazenod College Mulgrave

The Peninsular sc Mount Eliza
Toorak College Mount Eliza

Woodleigh school Baxter

Hi there,
Cheltenham School (State School)has got a good reputation at the moment as it has just had a new Principal that is thought very highly of around the teaching circuit. I'm looking at that for mine as I want co-ed with having a girl and a boy.

Brighton (State school) is excellent BUT very hard to get into I believe.

Mentone Girls Secondary (State) and Mentone Girls Grammar are 2 seperate Schools. Mentone Girls Secondary catchment area is advertised when you are wanting to rent a house in that area, and people actually rent houses in the catchment area when they own other houses out of the area just to get in the school so that gives you an indecation of how it is regarded!

Firbank and Haileybury are private.

St Leonards has got a good rep (if you want private - it has a British Principal may even be reading this now for all I know!)
Old Feb 7th 2006, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ljj
Hi there,
Cheltenham School (State School)has got a good reputation at the moment as it has just had a new Principal that is thought very highly of around the teaching circuit. I'm looking at that for mine as I want co-ed with having a girl and a boy.

Brighton (State school) is excellent BUT very hard to get into I believe.

Mentone Girls Secondary (State) and Mentone Girls Grammar are 2 seperate Schools. Mentone Girls Secondary catchment area is advertised when you are wanting to rent a house in that area, and people actually rent houses in the catchment area when they own other houses out of the area just to get in the school so that gives you an indecation of how it is regarded!

Firbank and Haileybury are private.

St Leonards has got a good rep (if you want private - it has a British Principal may even be reading this now for all I know!)
Thanks for that info, thats very helpful. We really would prefer co-ed also. So you live in Cheltenham? I don't know much about the area, we were mainly looking at Mt Eliza, as we thought they had a lot of schools, but now i know half of them are private we are going look around a bit more. I have researched a lot on Mt Eliza, how does it compare to Cheltenham, what do you find good/bad about either area. What made you choose Cheltenham. I'd be interested to know, if you wouldn't mind giving me a quick run down. THANKS again Jacky
Old Feb 7th 2006, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by andy thomas
Things over here are a bit different than in the UK. Everyone tends to be self employed and subcontract. There is loads of work around but it tends to be word of mouth rather than advertised. Its a case of just driving round the sites to find it once you are here. You could use this ite to search for companies in the housing industry via the menu on the left

http://www.mornington-peninsula.com/index.php

Andy
Thanks Andy, much appreciated. Jacky
Old Feb 7th 2006, 2:51 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that info, thats very helpful. We really would prefer co-ed also. So you live in Cheltenham? I don't know much about the area, we were mainly looking at Mt Eliza, as we thought they had a lot of schools, but now i know half of them are private we are going look around a bit more. I have researched a lot on Mt Eliza, how does it compare to Cheltenham, what do you find good/bad about either area. What made you choose Cheltenham. I'd be interested to know, if you wouldn't mind giving me a quick run down. THANKS again Jacky
Hi, we actually live in Beaumaris right next to Cheltenham and we would certainly look at buying in cheltenham as it's a lot more expensive in Beaumaris!

I will PM you about the area but lets just say, We have been here for 2 1/2 years and love it and don't expect to moving very far from where we are now!

Lots of people I know here used to live in Mt Eliza and I believe it has a similar feel it's just a bloody long commute if you need to work in the city (which Hubby does). You get a lot more house for your money in Mt Eliza, hell of a long way to pick up visitors from the airport though if you get them every other month which we seem to have had in our time here!

Louise