Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are there any calm, palm fringed beaches in sydney

Are there any calm, palm fringed beaches in sydney

Old Aug 1st 2006, 12:15 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there any calm, palm fringed beaches in sydney

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Hi!

I am going to the FTC (First Tuesday Club) Sydney ladies meet in about 2 hours at Clontarf - so I'll report back tomorrow.

hope your plans are still going well.

The beaches are beautiful here.

L-j
Thanks guys, all the beaches sound nice, are most mentioned just beaches or are they areas where people live too.

lj, let me know what that area is like and our plans are still to come out within the year. im getting area info now as clare is getting btter quicker than expected but we are still hanging on in england so that i can amass enough money to live nicely off the interest when we get there(well iytll pay the rent!!)

Im not from manc im from de-pressedton(preston) but i live in sharston having been around didsbury/withington for 16 yrs on AND off.

Have a shop in withington so im looking for an area like withington/west didsbury/didsbury but next to or near to (10 minutes by car/bike/bike etc) a nice beach as described above, links into city by an hour or so and a smattering of bars and restaurants in the area nice enough that we dont have to go to sydney to eat and drink

any clues please would be great.

thanks in advance and lj ,clare will love to be at a ladies meet in syd like when we finally get there.

al.xx
Any ideas
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:01 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by alkristensen
...all the beaches sound nice, are most mentioned just beaches or are they areas where people live too.
In Sydney, yes all near residential areas, or should that be the other way round? Just a note though, the closer you are to the beach the more $$$ you need.

.... but next to or near to (10 minutes by car/bike/bike etc) a nice beach as described above, links into city by an hour or so and a smattering of bars and restaurants in the area nice enough that we dont have to go to sydney to eat and drink

Still I reckon Sydney's northern beaches areas, you're spoilt for choice.
Get a map and look anywhere from Manly to Palm Beach. Most suburbs will satisfy your requirements. Less busy the further north, city commute times roughly half hour to an hour and a half.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:41 am
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
In Sydney, yes all near residential areas, or should that be the other way round? Just a note though, the closer you are to the beach the more $$$ you need.

Still I reckon Sydney's northern beaches areas, you're spoilt for choice.
Get a map and look anywhere from Manly to Palm Beach. Most suburbs will satisfy your requirements. Less busy the further north, city commute times roughly half hour to an hour and a half.
brilliant, thanks alot that shouold give me plenty to research.

Also are there any decent universities in northern beaches or at least TAFE s please

ajk

al
Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:24 am

gedge has disabled reputation

brilliant, thanks alot that shouold give me plenty to research.

Also are there any decent universities in northern beaches or at least TAFE s please

ajk

al
No uni's up here, but I know there's a TAFE at Brookvale which is fairly central to all areas. You should check for a website.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

If you decide on somewhere on the Central Coast there are TAFEs and the Uni at Newcastle which would save commuting to Sydney and a direct train line.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:45 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, all the beaches sound nice, are most mentioned just beaches or are they areas where people live too.

lj, let me know what that area is like and our plans are still to come out within the year. im getting area info now as clare is getting btter quicker than expected but we are still hanging on in england so that i can amass enough money to live nicely off the interest when we get there(well iytll pay the rent!!)

Im not from manc im from de-pressedton(preston) but i live in sharston having been around didsbury/withington for 16 yrs on AND off.

Have a shop in withington so im looking for an area like withington/west didsbury/didsbury but next to or near to (10 minutes by car/bike/bike etc) a nice beach as described above, links into city by an hour or so and a smattering of bars and restaurants in the area nice enough that we dont have to go to sydney to eat and drink

thanks in advance and lj ,clare will love to be at a ladies meet in syd like when we finally get there.

al.xx
Any ideas

Hi !

Well we had a nice time at our meet. Clontarf was nice but not what i'd consider a beach per se! Well there was sand and the water was calm - but you couldn't see the horizon - just boats. It's like a little inlet. No palm trees either - just a very expensive carpark!!!! but a lovely little cafe.

8 ladies turned up - and we just chatted about everything from Big Brother - to houses, for about 4 hours.

hope that helps a bit,

L-j
Old Aug 1st 2006, 10:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Gibbo
If you decide on somewhere on the Central Coast there are TAFEs and the Uni at Newcastle which would save commuting to Sydney and a direct train line.
thanks alot for that info,
what is sydney to palm cove classed as, is that the north shores or northern
beaches or what, as i think `that as far as we are going,

but we maybe going a little bit further but i dont think past half way between syd and newcastle!!

we never say never and after all this we will prob end up miles from where we want now .LOL

alk
Old Aug 1st 2006, 10:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Hi !

Well we had a nice time at our meet. Clontarf was nice but not what i'd consider a beach per se! Well there was sand and the water was calm - but you couldn't see the horizon - just boats. It's like a little inlet. No palm trees either - just a very expensive carpark!!!! but a lovely little cafe.

8 ladies turned up - and we just chatted about everything from Big Brother - to houses, for about 4 hours.

hope that helps a bit,

L-j
i think itll be clares heaven(the chat i mean not a bloody marina!!)

thanks for the info, \i have plenty to look at now

al.xx
Old Aug 1st 2006, 10:06 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

but we maybe going a little bit further but i dont think past half way between syd and newcastle!!

we never say never and after all this we will prob end up miles from where we want now .LOL

alk
You're best bet is to get a good map of Sydney (not a guide book - a map that opens up big! - we bought ours in Manchester book shop) - then when people mention place names - you can locate easily on a map. That way you get a better feel of distances etc.

Northern Beaches ends at Palm Beach.

L-j
Old Aug 1st 2006, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

alk
The Northern Beaches end at Plam Beach,north of that is the Central Coast. Do a google search for Central Coast NSW and you will get lots of information and pictures.