Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thank you Ceri!!!!

Thank you Ceri!!!!

Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:29 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Irish Root Soup
Attached Thumbnails Thank you Ceri!!!!-countyclaire.jpg  
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

the thing is that I like beetroot - and they do give you the choice most of the time not to put it on...

my chief gripe is against the buffoon who decided that putting gherkins in burgers was a really good idea.

don't they even get the hint from the gherkin slicks outside their outlets?

the first thing my kids say on the rare occassion when they get a maccers or hungry jacks is always...and I mean always

"daddy can you take the yuk out"
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 4:01 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Thank you Ceri!!!!

Originally posted by Pollyana
On Ceri's suggestion, a scouring of the shelves in BiLo has taken place.......and produced JAFFA CAKES!!!!!!!! The Bloke is in despair, we now have a cupboard full of them!!!
About $3 a packet, very slightly smaller than the UK version, but almost indistinguishable.
They also do......"Made in the UK" Whole Wheat Biscuits....yep, Weetabix! And PG Tips, and Colman's English Mustard.
Try the International food section, they are all perched incongruously among the curry powders!

I take it all back, I love BiLo

Polly

A happy Jaffa Cake eating Bunny!!
When I saw the title, I thought what the 'ell have I done now to upset someone lol

Funny place to have them isn't it... I spotted them months ago.. and thought nah... I'll keep it a secret just in case all expats buy them up, and there's no more shipment coming in..lol.

The store I went into they were top shop and pushed back a bit . I had to scramble up on the first shelf to reach them.. it was like finding gold.

I find them a bit sickly to be honest with you, one or two out the packet is enough for me , but hubby wolfs them down.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
When I saw the title, I thought what the 'ell have I done now to upset someone lol

Funny place to have them isn't it... I spotted them months ago.. and thought nah... I'll keep it a secret just in case all expats buy them up, and there's no more shipment coming in..lol.

The store I went into they were top shop and pushed back a bit . I had to scramble up on the first shelf to reach them.. it was like finding gold.

I find them a bit sickly to be honest with you, one or two out the packet is enough for me , but hubby wolfs them down.
I've also seen Jaffa Cakes in the oddest places. Sometimes seen them in those dodgy crazy bargain-type shops (along with the iffy packaged food with unknown labels and no use-by date - you know the type of place).

Often they're specially packaged for export and come with arabic writing on the packet. Even seen a strawberry version too, but never tried them.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 4:30 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
Do you mean REAL Weetabix? Not these Aussie version, large flakes, taste like floor sweepings 'Weet-Bix'? (Ugh!)

I'm talking about the ones that turn into complete slop when they get soaked in milk. Look like baby poo and taste divine. Those Weetabix?
REAL REAL REAL WEETABIX - two fit in my Weetabix bowl Weetabix perfect. Made by Weetabix!

I got mine from the bi-lo in Castle Hill but also look out for the Macquarie Centre, where they also have a shop that has English Chocolate and Irish Crisps - Tayto Cheese and Onion!

Cheers
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 4:43 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by bondipom
it is scary where they turn up. Many a good burger ruined by them and pineapple.
Pineapple on a burger, I can handle, but not that purple stuff.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 4:46 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

anyone know where I can get the little shreddies breakfast cereal things.. I have never seen them here.. not for me, it's for my other moaning half who misses his shreddies.. big kid.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 5:17 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Aren't they called Shredded Wheat or some such? Pretty sure Kelloggs makes them. I have seen what you've described in Australia.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 5:21 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ulujain
Aren't they called Shredded Wheat or some such? Pretty sure Kelloggs makes them. I have seen what you've described in Australia.
Nope they are made by Nabisco - they are on my miss list too.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
shreddies.bmp (4.0 KB, 42 views)
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 5:22 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

anyone know where I can get the little shreddies breakfast cereal things.. I have never seen them here.. not for me, it's for my other moaning half who misses his shreddies.. big kid.

The woman at the "treats from Home" shop in Sydney told me they cannot be imported.

Here's a reminder:

and here:

http://www.cerealpartners.co.uk/p_shreddies.aspx
Attached Thumbnails Thank you Ceri!!!!-cereal_boxes2.jpg  

Last edited by jayr; Jul 23rd 2004 at 5:24 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 5:30 am
Y Ddraig Goch

yes that's them , sandra and jayr . We used to be able to buy them In sing but have never seen them here .. oh well

funny thing on that treats from home site they have pot noodle , I always thought noodles were on the banned list to import too.

when I went home earlier this year, as I left Aus they gave me one of those "what can I bring into Aus leaflets" , and noodles was on the banned list.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 7:45 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

LMAO!!!
Have visions of something like the monty pythons townswomens guild re-enactment of the battle of hastings happening between hundreds of expats in aussie supermarkets, all after the one packet of jaffacakes left in australia!!!!

sue
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 9:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ceri, you'd have laughed your socks off, I was dancing in the aisle, getting a funny look from a woman walking past!! I agree, like finding gold. Sat a packet on the desk today, and nibbled at them, like a really happy hamster!
Downunderpom, yep as Sandra says these are REAL Weetabix! They are called Whole Wheat Biscuit or something, but its a Weetabix packet! And it has a Union Jack on the front with "From the UK" on it!!!

Sue, I am now laughing at your Monty Python sketch thing......could be a real goody couldn't it!!! The Jaffa Cakes are MINE!!!!