Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thailand or Singapore, what would be the best for a stop over?

Thailand or Singapore, what would be the best for a stop over?

Old Apr 13th 2004, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default Thailand or Singapore, what would be the best for a stop over?

I can't make up my mind on this one. Originally, we were going to Singapore but my mind is swaying to Thailand.

Any suggestion appreciated.

Mandy
Old Apr 13th 2004, 9:46 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends what you want. Singapore and BKK are both OK for a day or so but if you want a real nice break you could look at travelling a short way from either as they both seem/ are claustrophobic, dirty and oppressive after a short while and are not very special holiday destinations for more than a wee whiley (24 hours max IMO).
Old Apr 13th 2004, 10:53 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you want out of a stopover. Bangkok has up to 4 days worth of stuff to do, Singapore about 2 days. Both have flights to some excellent destinations such as Phuket, Koh samui, Kinabalu etc etc.

I have been to Thailand twice and thoroughly recommend the place.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 12:18 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. It depends on how long you plan to have your stop over. In Thailand you can fly or get a coach to Koh Samui which is very quick and spend a lovely time on the beach and going for treks ect. But if you only have two/three days than Singapore is probably easier. There is a fantastic place called Raffels - a wonderful hotel (quite cheap) also Singapore has a wonderful night Zoo which is fab to visit as all the enclosures are flood lighted - recommended. It really does depend on the time that you want to spend. Personally I would go to Singapore for a couple of nights - but both places are good.

Diddy
Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:02 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Hi

We stopped at both if you want a few days break I loved Thailand. I would recommend Kho Phangan or Krabi over Kho Samui though. I hated Kho samui too over developed it had been ruined.

We flew from BKK to Surat Thani for 30 quid one way then got a combined bus/boat ticket it is really easy to get around thailand and cheap.

Also 14hr bus trips from BKK for about 4 quid. They are really good coaches with reclining seats like 1st class.

Enjoy wherever you end up

Jo
Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:10 am

Originally posted by joh117
Hi

We stopped at both if you want a few days break I loved Thailand. I would recommend Kho Phangan or Krabi over Kho Samui though. I hated Kho samui too over developed it had been ruined.

We flew from BKK to Surat Thani for 30 quid one way then got a combined bus/boat ticket it is really easy to get around thailand and cheap.

Also 14hr bus trips from BKK for about 4 quid. They are really good coaches with reclining seats like 1st class.

Enjoy wherever you end up

Jo
It depends on what one is after. Koh samui is developed but also has the airport and the 4/5* resorts. Koh Phangnan is more for the backpacker although hat rin is over developed due to the Full Moon parties. I was there in 97. I was staying in Bottle Beach which is on the north of the island and can only be reached by 4wd or boat.

I ended up stuck on Koh samui and missed out on Koh Tao because of a storm stopping the boats.

Another great place in Thailand is Katchanaburi where the Bridge over the river Kwai is.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:24 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Bondi - what do you reckon about Koh pee pee can you fly direct from Bbk to them - have you been?
Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

cuthere is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely Bangkok, much more exciting!!
Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:31 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bondipom
It depends on what one is after. Koh samui is developed but also has the airport and the 4/5* resorts. Koh Phangnan is more for the backpacker although hat rin is over developed due to the Full Moon parties. I was there in 97. I was staying in Bottle Beach which is on the north of the island and can only be reached by 4wd or boat.

I ended up stuck on Koh samui and missed out on Koh Tao because of a storm stopping the boats.

Another great place in Thailand is Katchanaburi where the Bridge over the river Kwai is.

Agree with what you say. I was looking for somewhere that was paradise and I found Kho Phangan was aswell as Krabi(IMO). I loved the Bridge of the river kwai trip we did for the day from Bangkok.

Jo
Old Apr 14th 2004, 2:59 am
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends if you want sex tourism or shopping.
If you want to sip an overpriced beer and watch people fire ping pong balls out of places ping pong balls shouldn't be in for starters go to Bangkok. If you want to sip an overpriced beer, buy electronics and land in jail for spitting chewing gum on the street go to Singapore. Both are stinking hot this time of year but Singapore has more public air conditioning
Old Apr 14th 2004, 4:35 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by joh117
Agree with what you say. I was looking for somewhere that was paradise and I found Kho Phangan was aswell as Krabi(IMO). I loved the Bridge of the river kwai trip we did for the day from Bangkok.

Jo
I first stumbled across Koh Samui in '88 when it was relatively unspoilt - you can still find good bits but it's harder though the beaches and water are still good. I turned into a Koh Tao fan where I learned scuba diving and last time I was there it was still OK and nicely developed (mostly simple and unspoilt). Koh Chang is like Samui 15 years ago. Nowadays I prefer Phuket because you can fly direct, easily find good cheap hotels and there is plenty of competition for things like seafood so they are relatively inexpensive. Count on GBP25 for a good hotel and GBP10 for a seafood all-you-can-eat feast. http://www.gothailand.com/phuket/indexhotels.htm
Old Apr 14th 2004, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

kerrylm is an unknown quantity at this point

I spent a long time in Asia in late 80's, early 90's. Thailand is a fantastic place but you need plenty of time to explore. Bangkok itself is only really worth 2 or 3 days max. Koh chang is a fab island close to bangkok also koh Samet. but if you have longer it is really worth going down South esp the West of the country. Phi Phi was wonderful but has had its day sadly. Koh Lanta is apparently still good - a boat ride from Krabi. But you really need a week to spend. If short on time go to Singapore for a few days - you can do all it has to offer and feel like you haven't missed out. Thailand offers too much choice.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 9:44 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by diddy
Bondi - what do you reckon about Koh pee pee can you fly direct from Bbk to them - have you been?
Dont know about Koh Phi Phi, but you can fly Bangkok to Phuket and its only a couple of hours by boat from there.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

We are looking at about 3 days for a break on the way. A teenager and a 10 year old in tow.

Mandy
Old Apr 14th 2004, 10:29 pm

I have heard the Phis Phis are beautiful and they will be on my next trip to Thailand. They are accessible from Phuket and Krabi. I do not know if you can fly to Krabi.

The Phis Phis featured in Scaramangas hideout in the Man with the Golden Gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.