Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Texting UK-Oz-UK when going separately?

Texting UK-Oz-UK when going separately?

Old Dec 25th 2009, 11:33 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Texting UK-Oz-UK when going separately?

I have done a search already but not come up with anything that answers my specific question!

My husband is going on ahead of us and leaves in 3/4 weeks. We are both currently on PAYG with Orange but looking for a deal/tarriff that will suit us whilst we are apart so that we can text one another anytime.

We will also be using Skype, email etc but may not always have instant access to a computer.

Anyone know any good deals/best/cheapest way?

Thanks
Old Dec 25th 2009, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texting UK-Oz-UK when going separately?

You will be able to text each other any time but you will have to pay the international text rates from both countries. It does mount up a bit but cheaper than paying international roaming if you are in a foreign country with a home sim. Your DH will pay about 35c per text for international. I do that all the time with my DH when I go home and he stays here. I have to top up about twice a month with L10 but and we do text quite a bit.

Having just tried to use Skype this Christmas (another dismal failure with respect to call quality even on broadband) your DH can get an international calling card which will be the cheapest way of calling you from a landline - you can get them at newsagents usually. It will be basically the cost of a local call (which is untimed here anyway) plus the cost he buys on the card.
Old Dec 25th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Skype is ace!!
We skype all over xmas for a few hours easy and never dropped out and just had picture freeze for about 5 mins of that time,other wise,superb!
Also tell him to get a virgin paygo sim and buy the $20 international (might be online purchased only)pack,which is any mobile or land line in the world for 10c a minute,not a bean extra
Old Dec 25th 2009, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Lucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond repute

If you both have data enabled phones Fishtext is the way to go
Old Dec 26th 2009, 9:55 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

You can text Oz & Uk Mobiles from skype. You can also after a quick verification step text mobiles from your mobile number allowing the replies to be sent straight to your mobile.

Skype is a fantastic tool
Old Dec 26th 2009, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

ernie24 is an unknown quantity at this point

A 'Lebara' sim is a good and cheap way of calling/texting - 15c to text UK from Australia and 10p to text Australia from UK.

Visit http://www.lebara-mobile.co.uk/en/ or http://www.lebara-mobile.com.au/en/.

Very cheap calls too - I have one and it costs me 7c a minute to call a UK landline. You don't need a contract - just add money when required. Most phone shops will sell them but don't tend to push them so you'll have to ask.

Good luck!
Old Dec 26th 2009, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for replies and links, will look into the info given.

Old Dec 26th 2009, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ernie24
A 'Lebara' sim is a good and cheap way of calling/texting - 15c to text UK from Australia and 10p to text Australia from UK.

Visit http://www.lebara-mobile.co.uk/en/ or http://www.lebara-mobile.com.au/en/.

Very cheap calls too - I have one and it costs me 7c a minute to call a UK landline. You don't need a contract - just add money when required. Most phone shops will sell them but don't tend to push them so you'll have to ask.

Good luck!
That Lebara looks good, Ernie - wish I had known about it before I wrestled (and failed) with skype to UK landlines over Christmas!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 8:42 am
Just Joined

laughlinez is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an old thread, but i just came across it, and would like to add re: the lebara + other sims, watch out for the flagfall (in contract small print) - especially if you get lots dropouts on your phone. Even though the headlines of those sims are small cost/min most do have a flagfall - recently 25c/connection for lebara, meaning a call of 10secs will cost you flagfall + cost/min tariff.
Dropouts then start to cost at lot!!!
flagfall smallprint is how many telco's are now making their money on voice!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

kemiktheviking is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not just buy a 3 phone with Skype on it. That means you can ring anytime within reason used one with my Mrs back in the UK running her business for 2 years with little or no problems regarding signal etc.

Only costs a few dollars and a pay as you go which is skype enabled.

Hope this helps.