Test

Old Apr 24th 2011, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Test

Some parts of the driving test theory questions are a little confusing and contradictory in my opinion

I passed the online trial, our daughter is doing the whole thing, and we had a go online just to see whats different to the UK. Some of it is different and contradicts what we believe is correct.
Attached Thumbnails Test-highway.jpg  

Last edited by deb68; Apr 24th 2011 at 4:00 am.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Test

You should try doing the theory test in Bermuda. We spent an age explaining that the correct answer to "a bus indicates to pull out in front of you what should you do" was not "honk your horn, lean out of the window and gesture to the bus driver."

Their answers were clearly coded incorrectly, but it took a long time to persuade the staff. There was something else like that, but I can't remember what, we both failed the test based on their dodgy answeres initially!

PS Why can't the car on left overtake? the other one might get stuck in stationary traffic.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb68
Some parts of the driving test theory questions are a little confusing and contradictory in my opinion

I passed the online trial, our daughter is doing the whole thing, and we had a go online just to see whats different to the UK. Some of it is different and contradicts what we believe is correct.
Well the answer to the question 'Can vehicle X overtake vehicle Y?' is 'Yes'.
Cars are allowed to overtake on the left if there are lanes marked on the road.

It's not a secret. What's contradictory about it? Where does it say that you can't do it?

Or is it just that it's different to the UK?
Old Apr 24th 2011, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

The two cars are in a double white line zone (no overtaking), but it seems it's ok to undertake?
In the UK, it is not allowed (undertaking), yet you can here, unless the roads have no markings then you cannot i think
Old Apr 24th 2011, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Anyone new from the UK would certainly feel it's weird to pass on the inside to 'over take', as it were.

I would have thought the two solid lines indicate that you are not allow to cross them, but you can do what you like inside them, speed permitting and other signs taken into account? The far left lane probably can't even see the two solid lines and is only concerned about the line marking immediately either side of their lane.

Good luck with test though, hope not too confusing as sometime these things make you over analyse the options.

And don't worry, you'll have the clear advantage over all the locals when you get to a roundabout and they don't know what to do.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 8:26 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb68
The two cars are in a double white line zone (no overtaking), but it seems it's ok to undertake?
In the UK, it is not allowed (undertaking), yet you can here, unless the roads have no markings then you cannot i think
The double white lines just says that you can't go onto the other side of the road to overtake. If, on your side of the road, there are clearly marked lanes then you can overtake on either side. The rules here are decided by the states rather than the UK.

Actually in the UK you can overtake if there are double white lines and marked lanes on your side of the road. Normally you should only overtake on the right but can overtake on the left in certain circumstances (e.g. car in right hand lane is turning right, traffic queuing, etc...)
Old Apr 24th 2011, 10:09 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Well the answer to the question 'Can vehicle X overtake vehicle Y?' is 'Yes'.
Cars are allowed to overtake on the left if there are lanes marked on the road.

It's not a secret. What's contradictory about it? Where does it say that you can't do it?

Or is it just that it's different to the UK?
In QLD the law is that if the speed limit is below 80km/h then you can undertake, anything above that speed then you can only overtake from the right
Old Apr 24th 2011, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
In QLD the law is that if the speed limit is below 80km/h then you can undertake, anything above that speed then you can only overtake from the right
I don't think that's correct BS. You can even undertake on the motorway at any speed.

http://hereforlife.qld.gov.au/Campai...eft#overtaking

Some other interesting ones for Deb to look at especially roundabouts, U turns and crossing solid white lines.

http://hereforlife.qld.gov.au/Campaigns/Road-rules

Last edited by Alfresco; Apr 24th 2011 at 10:47 am.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 10:53 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I don't think that's correct BS. You can even undertake on the motorway at any speed.

http://hereforlife.qld.gov.au/Campai...eft#overtaking

Some other interesting ones for Deb to look at especially roundabouts, U turns and crossing solid white lines.

http://hereforlife.qld.gov.au/Campaigns/Road-rules
I'm on an iPhone right now so can't exactly look this up, but Burbage and I have had this debate before. The law is quite clear on this. Anything above 80 and you must drive in the left hand lane unless you are overtaking and therefore you must overtake on the right. Obviously the fact that nearly all qlders ignore this is irrelevant seeing as they ignore most of the road rules

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Apr 24th 2011 at 11:02 am.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on an iPhone right now so can't exactly look this up, but Burbage and I have had this debate before. The law is quite clear on this. Anything above 80 and you must overtake on the right. Obviously the fact that nearly all qlders ignore this is irrelevant seeing as they ignore most of the road rules

Thanks. I have looked it up and all I can come up with are these:-

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Que...vertaking.aspx

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Que...ping-left.aspx

Keeping left

On single-lane roads, drivers must stay as close as practical to the left side of the road.
When the speed limit is 90 km/h or more on multi-lane roads, you must not drive in the right-hand lane unless you are:
  • overtaking
  • turning right
  • making a U-turn
  • avoiding an obstacle
  • driving in congested traffic.
It is an offence to drive in the right lane if none of the above criteria are occurring.

This rule also applies to a road with a speed limit of 80 km/h or less, if there is a KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING sign.

Drivers are allowed to overtake on the left on all multi-lane roads.

Is this the one you mean?

If so you can still drive in the middle lane on a 3 lane road (just not in the right hand lane) above 80kph (90kph on highways) and still overtake a car on the left.

Let me know what you find.

Last edited by Alfresco; Apr 24th 2011 at 11:35 am.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:51 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on an iPhone right now so can't exactly look this up, but Burbage and I have had this debate before. The law is quite clear on this. Anything above 80 and you must drive in the left hand lane unless you are overtaking and therefore you must overtake on the right. Obviously the fact that nearly all qlders ignore this is irrelevant seeing as they ignore most of the road rules
That law just says that you must keep left unless overtaking. It doesn't actually say it's illegal to overtake on the left even if in a perfect world that would be an implication.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 10:12 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

the shortest point betwen a & b is a straight line

this is continually made clear to me at off ramps on the M1 as cars cross the motorway from the fourth lane to the exit, regardless of whats in the way, or is this just qld thing??
Old Apr 24th 2011, 10:23 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
the shortest point betwen a & b is a straight line

this is continually made clear to me at off ramps on the M1 as cars cross the motorway from the fourth lane to the exit, regardless of whats in the way, or is this just qld thing??
Yes it's a Qld thing.

It's a function of every Qld'ers requirement to drive in the right hand lane at all times.

The same sort of thing happens joining the motorway as well - cross the solid line, proceed immediately to the right hand lane, traveling almost perpendicular to the direction of the road. Finally check it was safe to just do that!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:52 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, but debs original post was in relation to a specific question on the test, and from the graphic, it was non freeway/highway driving (the intersection in the pic), so under 80kph. I think the wording of the test question was what caused confusion. In Aus, according to the driving laws, in the scenario of the OP, "The driver MAY pass on the left" is quite correct.

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Apr 25th 2011 at 1:06 am.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Aye, but debs original post was in relation to a specific question on the test, and from the graphic, it was non freeway/highway driving (the intersection in the pic), so under 80kph. I think the wording of the test question was what caused confusion. In Aus, according to the driving laws, in the scenario of the OP, "The driver MAY pass on the left" is quite correct.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.