Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tescos / Sainsburies / Asda

Tescos / Sainsburies / Asda

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:27 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tescos / Sainsburies / Asda

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
Must admit 24/7 came in handy whilst on nights - used to do my weekly shop in the middle of the night, no-body else there, could even get my freezer stuff in the winter - just left it in the boot

Tracey
I always quite liked 24 hr shopping - it just gave you convenience, and many of the shops were staffed anyway, just with shelf filling and re-stocking etc. Working night shifts was always good as we could swing by Tesco at about 2/3am and pick up a relatively health meal instead of the dog meat kebab shop, where you took your life in your hands.

Also, it was pretty good for late shifts too - Knock off at about midnight, then nip up and get the groceries. It meant that my leisure time at the weekends wasn't taken up with the mundanities of grocery shopping. Also didn't have to mix with the element of society who just take thier kids to supermarkets to shout and bellow at them and make them cry...

S
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:32 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not getting into the shopping discussion again But a bit of trivia for you - a convenience shop in Tugun (last breath in QLD before crossing the border) has a large sign up saying Open 25 hours Not seen it shut yet, but not around at 3am so not likely to find out
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:45 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The S's
Its called progress my friend and the wheels will keep rolling, 24 hr shopping coming to a suburb near you soon
I never said I objected, just can't see the point.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Not getting into the shopping discussion again But a bit of trivia for you - a convenience shop in Tugun (last breath in QLD before crossing the border) has a large sign up saying Open 25 hours Not seen it shut yet, but not around at 3am so not likely to find out
+ 8 days a week and they try 101% for their customers?

Or perhaps they do open for 25 hours and then shut for the other 143 hours in the week?

OzTennis
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
+ 8 days a week and they try 101% for their customers?

Or perhaps they do open for 25 hours and then shut for the other 143 hours in the week?

OzTennis
Apparently Gold Coast Council tried to get them to take it down - trade description crap, but they won the day because it didn't state 25 hours a day
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Apparently Gold Coast Council tried to get them to take it down - trade description crap, but they won the day because it didn't state 25 hours a day
Reminds me of a fish smokehouse near us in Scotland. They import the salmon from Norway and smoke it and sell it as 'Scottish Smoked Salmon'. They can't get away with 'Smoked Scottish Salmon'.

OzTennis
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernbird
I never said I objected, just can't see the point.
I don't think there is a lot of point to the average consumer in the supermarket being open at 4am but there is a point to the supermarket.
Most big supermarkets do their replenishment work at night so the store is staffed and operating in this respect all night long meaning the lights etc. are on so the supermarket is costing but not making.
The additional cost of paying one member of staff to work all night on the checkout is next to nothing so it makes sense that the store be open to the public all night.
When I worked night I used to go to a 24 hour Tesco at 4am and there were often people in there shopping so it does work
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:27 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon and alex
I don't think there is a lot of point to the average consumer in the supermarket being open at 4am but there is a point to the supermarket.
Most big supermarkets do their replenishment work at night so the store is staffed and operating in this respect all night long meaning the lights etc. are on so the supermarket is costing but not making.
The additional cost of paying one member of staff to work all night on the checkout is next to nothing so it makes sense that the store be open to the public all night.
When I worked night I used to go to a 24 hour Tesco at 4am and there were often people in there shopping so it does work

I can see your point - I used it because I worked nights, but if I hadn't you wouldn't catch me in one at that time normally.
It makes no odds to me whether they do or don't - mind you its handy if you realise you've run out of milk for the cereals in the morning!
Tracey
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

tonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to all

all this talk about supermarkets, next etc why do people worry about this your going to a different country and culture and to enjoy it.

If your worried about this i sugest you should stay here !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hope there is never a tesco or asda there dont mind sainsburys though !!!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 3:00 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonychef
dont mind sainsburys though !!!

Well stay there then cos they don't have 'em over here
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

tonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
Well stay there then cos they don't have 'em over here
Dont wont them either quite happy thanks with what iv seen. it will be very nice to leave it all behind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

still find it very sad that they ask questions like that
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 3:09 pm
happy to be here!

Originally Posted by tonychef
Dont wont them either quite happy thanks with what iv seen. it will be very nice to leave it all behind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

still find it very sad that they ask questions like that

Yeah it is nice to leave it all behind - doesn't bother me in the least that it's not the same as UK - didn't want it to be and don't want it to end up like it either!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 7:11 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

What is it with Pommies and super markets,........?? ........... mm
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to alldakesojo is a name known to all

i shop at waitrose is there anything like that around
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy
People don't want 24 hour shopping, they just want it to be there in case they get a sudden urge to fill their freezer at 3am

We have 24 hour shops here in SA and they are supermarkets too.
People might not want 24 hour shopping, but I certainly wouldn't mind restocking my freezer after 4pm on a Sunday. Our Safeway is open till midnight on a Sunday, which is great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.