British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tesco's coming to the Sunshine Coast? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tescos-coming-sunshine-coast-412518/)

Rug13y Dec 9th 2006 9:25 am

Re: Tesco's coming to the Sunshine Coast?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Strange that the same people who complain about the monopoly of Coles and Woolies (which is actually a duopoly, but never mind) are the ones who have no problem with Tesco's own monopoly in the UK. I never ceased to be amazed by this peculiar double standard; a classic case of cognitive dissonance. :confused:

Sod off, Mr Cohen.

When we want a total supermarket monopoly which drives farmers into bankruptcy and relies on the exploitation of the Third World for its cheap, shoddy clothing, we'll all move to the UK and visit your shops. :rolleyes:

Theres always some pr1ck who spoils things to make themselves look big dont they? :rolleyes:

northernbird Dec 9th 2006 12:17 pm

and of course if Tesco opens in Australia they will be selling exactly the same things as Tesco in England :rolleyes:

toon williams Dec 9th 2006 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Hi, I have just heard that Tescos are building a new supermarket at Kawana Waters (Nicklin Way), this is indeed good news.

Has anyone else heard this news?

I hope not, we are moving to Australia to get away from Bloody Tescos!!!!! :D :D

kevinbloomfield Dec 9th 2006 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by toon williams
I hope not, we are moving to Australia to get away from Bloody Tescos!!!!! :D :D

Really??
Have you experienced Woolworths and Coles then?

BadgeIsBack Dec 9th 2006 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
True, but you have to remember that Tesco has achieved its market position by working the market - ie providing exactly what customers want - Choice, value and convenience. They havn't achieved it by getting together with Asda et al and creating a virtual cartel with price fixing etc where the wants of the consumer is the last thing on their mind...

Tesco may well be a big monopolistic mutinational that screws over the farmers and everybody else that it deals with, but at least it does offer the end consumer choice and value for money.

Coles is also a big monopolistic company that screws over the farmers and everybody else that it deals with, but they don't even have the decency to offer the economies of scale through to the common person.

They just get screwed like the rest...

Along with the fact that Stevie Wonder plans their store layouts for them. Is there any logic to it?

S

See your point, Stevie Wonder would prefer narrow isles, so he can fumble down them easier. I go to the supermarkets in Australia and buy food. I'm happy in that regard. There were whole aisles in the UK I'd never need to venture down and it was a real time waster to have to walk past them.

northernbird Dec 9th 2006 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Really??
Have you experienced Woolworths and Coles then?

No but I have. Woolies and Coles are not as good as Tescos but do you seriously think that if Tescos opens up on your street corner then they are suddenly going to be able to import all the same stuff that is on the shelves in England. I don't think so.

Nomore Dec 9th 2006 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird
No but I have. Woolies and Coles are not as good as Tescos but do you seriously think that if Tescos opens up on your street corner then they are suddenly going to be able to import all the same stuff that is on the shelves in England. I don't think so.

I preferred ASDA anyway.

mbike Dec 9th 2006 12:37 pm

When Tescos opened stores in Poland we went to check out how they differ from the UK. Basically there was a lot of local Polish stuff you would never find in a UK Tesco, no ready-cooked meals (because polish housewives still cook) and an awful lot of the Tesco Value range (the blue stripes on white label stuff). It reminded me of an early 70's Pile It High, Sell it Cheap Tesco. Still, I guess they have to keep their margins up wherever they are. Interestingly Auchan, the French chain also has stores in Poland and - as Al Campo - in Spain. Their offering is consistent in all three countries. But then, there French and we are talking about food.

Mark

northernbird Dec 9th 2006 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by paulrachel
I preferred ASDA anyway.

never shopped there, our loca Asda was full of chavs because of its location so it was always Tesco or Sainsburys for us.

BadgeIsBack Dec 9th 2006 12:44 pm

Auchan thats a blast from the past..

northernbird Dec 9th 2006 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Auchan thats a blast from the past..

We used to load our F reg vauxhall cavalier full of cheap plonk and those little small bottles of beer that we struggled to get up the hill out of Dover, happy days.

kevinbloomfield Dec 9th 2006 1:08 pm

They couldn't open on my street corner because we live in a residential area, there is no room for supermarkets.

Marks and Spencers have stores in Hong Kong and Singapore and they have the same goods on the shelves.

I only posted this thead for a laugh last night, I'm actually happy enough with Woollies and Coles, they are a bit expensive but the range seems OK to me. I'm happy going to our local butcher for meat and our local bottle shop for beer.

BadgeIsBack Dec 9th 2006 1:16 pm

We used to load our F reg vauxhall cavalier full of cheap plonk and those little small bottles of beer that we struggled to get up the hill out of Dover, happy days.

My first car was a F reg. It ended up 'F'ed around a lamppost 10 odd years ago.
Auchan - mine was in France - in the Alsace - Lorraine area.

northernbird Dec 9th 2006 1:22 pm

My first car was a F reg. It ended up 'F'ed around a lamppost 10 odd years ago.
Auchan - mine was in France - in the Alsace - Lorraine area.

Auchan in Bolougne on booze cruises. Happiness.

hevs Dec 9th 2006 1:59 pm

See your point, Stevie Wonder would prefer narrow isles, so he can fumble down them easier. I go to the supermarkets in Australia and buy food. I'm happy in that regard. There were whole aisles in the UK I'd never need to venture down and it was a real time waster to have to walk past them.

I took it that because Mr Wonder is Blind he would do a shit job because being able to see the layout would be advantageous ;) Job done! :D