British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tesco's coming to the Sunshine Coast? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tescos-coming-sunshine-coast-412518/)

kevinbloomfield Dec 8th 2006 1:26 pm

Tesco's coming to the Sunshine Coast?

Hi, I have just heard that Tescos are building a new supermarket at Kawana Waters (Nicklin Way), this is indeed good news.

Has anyone else heard this news?

Rug13y Dec 8th 2006 1:52 pm

Re: Tesco's coming to the Sunshine Coast?

Be great if Tesco's tackled the monopoly of coles and Woolies wouldnt it? :D

Come to WA Mr Cohen!

mbike Dec 8th 2006 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Hi, I have just heard that Tescos are building a new supermarket at Kawana Waters (Nicklin Way), this is indeed good news.

Wonder where their infrastructure, storage and distribution is in Oz? Their usual tactic is to buy into a local market operator and then gradually rebrand. This is what they did in Poland and China and are now planning to do in the US.

Mark

JulesM Dec 8th 2006 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by mbike
Wonder where their infrastructure, storage and distribution is in Oz? Their usual tactic is to buy into a local market operator and then gradually rebrand. This is what they did in Poland and China and are now planning to do in the US.

Mark

You're right Mark and I'm sorry to say that it's probably just an unfounded rumour about Tesco opening in Australia. As far as I can tell (my business has some links with them) they do not have any plans to go to Australia. However, as they seem to be taking over the world it's probably only a matter of time....

Vash the Stampede Dec 8th 2006 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Rug13y

Strange that the same people who complain about the monopoly of Coles and Woolies (which is actually a duopoly, but never mind) are the ones who have no problem with Tesco's own monopoly in the UK. I never ceased to be amazed by this peculiar double standard; a classic case of cognitive dissonance. :confused:

Come to WA Mr Cohen!
Sod off, Mr Cohen.

When we want a total supermarket monopoly which drives farmers into bankruptcy and relies on the exploitation of the Third World for its cheap, shoddy clothing, we'll all move to the UK and visit your shops. :rolleyes:

annqldau Dec 8th 2006 6:52 pm

Was a rumour Walmart was trying to buy out Woolies but even that's fizzled. Either of them would do but their brands of trading may be too much for Aus to handle.

jad n rich Dec 8th 2006 7:14 pm

No, but the same rumour "tescos opening in perth" was on here a while back. Some parts of perth have a very high ratio of poms, sunshine coast currently seems to have a very high surge of english arrivals, its probably just wishful thinking when people see the price of food in aus.

BiLo at Kawana is closing and being replaced with the even more expensive Coles food store :rolleyes:

DrWho Dec 8th 2006 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Strange that the same people who complain about the monopoly of Coles and Woolies (which is actually a duopoly, but never mind) are the ones who have no problem with Tesco's own monopoly in the UK. I never ceased to be amazed by this peculiar double standard; a classic case of cognitive dissonance. :confused:

At least there's a bit more competition in the UK... Personally I'd welcome another decent sized player over here... Especially when it comes to the fuel situation... Still can't understand why ULP goes from $1.05 one day to $1.30 the next... :(

Sod off, Mr Cohen.

When we want a total supermarket monopoly which drives farmers into bankruptcy and relies on the exploitation of the Third World for its cheap, shoddy clothing, we'll all move to the UK and visit your shops. :rolleyes:
:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

kevinbloomfield Dec 8th 2006 10:08 pm

BiLo is owned by Coles though isn't it?

You're right about the price of food though but what about the price of paint (emulsion)?? $165 for 15 litres is bloody expensive :-((

Originally Posted by jad n rich
No, but the same rumour "tescos opening in perth" was on here a while back. Some parts of perth have a very high ratio of poms, sunshine coast currently seems to have a very high surge of english arrivals, its probably just wishful thinking when people see the price of food in aus.

BiLo at Kawana is closing and being replaced with the even more expensive Coles food store :rolleyes:

jad n rich Dec 8th 2006 10:17 pm

BiLo is owned by Coles though isn't it?

You're right about the price of food though but what about the price of paint (emulsion)?? $165 for 15 litres is bloody expensive :-((

Yep 2 players own most of the supermarkets, bi lo was the cheaper option from the coles group and is being done away with now. The same 2 players are now making a move into the fuel market, they took over about 65% of the petrol market in a year :eek: , most of the undercutting you see now is to put the independants out of business, I bet my ass once they have the market fuel prices will soar again.

The woolworth group own woolworths, safeway and are the other player in the fuel market takeover.

Paint prices are nothing compared to some of the prices in items like steel, roof prices (colourbond) have gone up 17 times in 3 years, copper in electric cable was going up every 2 weeks recently.

Yes we badly need more competition in just about everything, airfares being another one.

mbike Dec 9th 2006 4:54 am

Sod off, Mr Cohen.

The Tesco/Walmart model is a seductive one for the dominant players in the Aussie market. Bigger stores, range diversification and centralised distribution centres are the way to go. Anyone doubting Coles' resolve should see the size of the distribution depot going up by the airport in Perth.

Mark

iamthecreaturefromuranus Dec 9th 2006 5:08 am

:

M&S
Waitrose
Sainsbury’s
Co-Op
Morrisons
ASDA
Somerfield

Just some names to think about...

Nomore Dec 9th 2006 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Rug13y

Come to WA Mr Cohen!

Yeah i second that ;)

Lordhorrace Dec 9th 2006 6:22 am

Sod off, Mr Cohen.

I think if Tesco did have an actual monopoly in the UK, then the Trade & Industry Monopolies Commission and European Trade & Competition Commissioner, would have some serious things to say. Such an alleged monopoly would be against European and British legislative rules. The Monopoly (sorry duopoly) of Coles and Woollies in Australia is further emphasised by the high number of homebrand produce available in the shops, and considerable lack of choice of different brands - regarding most products you either buy Woollies or Coles' homebrand or nothing at all - that is not the case in the UK where there is considerable choice. When discussing monopolies, one issue the customer is most concerned about is whether there is genuine choice on the shop shelves. The answer is in Britain yes, Australia no.

As John Howard and Tony Blair have restated in the last few days, if any foreign citizens or immigrants dislike the values or practices of their host country then they should return to their Mother country.

Swerv-o Dec 9th 2006 8:08 am

True, but you have to remember that Tesco has achieved its market position by working the market - ie providing exactly what customers want - Choice, value and convenience. They havn't achieved it by getting together with Asda et al and creating a virtual cartel with price fixing etc where the wants of the consumer is the last thing on their mind...

Tesco may well be a big monopolistic mutinational that screws over the farmers and everybody else that it deals with, but at least it does offer the end consumer choice and value for money.

Coles is also a big monopolistic company that screws over the farmers and everybody else that it deals with, but they don't even have the decency to offer the economies of scale through to the common person.

They just get screwed like the rest...

Along with the fact that Stevie Wonder plans their store layouts for them. Is there any logic to it?

S

Rug13y Dec 9th 2006 9:25 am

Sod off, Mr Cohen.

Theres always some pr1ck who spoils things to make themselves look big dont they? :rolleyes:

northernbird Dec 9th 2006 12:17 pm

and of course if Tesco opens in Australia they will be selling exactly the same things as Tesco in England :rolleyes:

toon williams Dec 9th 2006 12:19 pm

I hope not, we are moving to Australia to get away from Bloody Tescos!!!!! :D :D

kevinbloomfield Dec 9th 2006 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by toon williams
I hope not, we are moving to Australia to get away from Bloody Tescos!!!!! :D :D

Really??
Have you experienced Woolworths and Coles then?

BadgeIsBack Dec 9th 2006 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
True, but you have to remember that Tesco has achieved its market position by working the market - ie providing exactly what customers want - Choice, value and convenience. They havn't achieved it by getting together with Asda et al and creating a virtual cartel with price fixing etc where the wants of the consumer is the last thing on their mind...

Tesco may well be a big monopolistic mutinational that screws over the farmers and everybody else that it deals with, but at least it does offer the end consumer choice and value for money.

Coles is also a big monopolistic company that screws over the farmers and everybody else that it deals with, but they don't even have the decency to offer the economies of scale through to the common person.

They just get screwed like the rest...

Along with the fact that Stevie Wonder plans their store layouts for them. Is there any logic to it?

S

See your point, Stevie Wonder would prefer narrow isles, so he can fumble down them easier. I go to the supermarkets in Australia and buy food. I'm happy in that regard. There were whole aisles in the UK I'd never need to venture down and it was a real time waster to have to walk past them.

northernbird Dec 9th 2006 12:29 pm

Really??

No but I have. Woolies and Coles are not as good as Tescos but do you seriously think that if Tescos opens up on your street corner then they are suddenly going to be able to import all the same stuff that is on the shelves in England. I don't think so.

Nomore Dec 9th 2006 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird
No but I have. Woolies and Coles are not as good as Tescos but do you seriously think that if Tescos opens up on your street corner then they are suddenly going to be able to import all the same stuff that is on the shelves in England. I don't think so.

I preferred ASDA anyway.

mbike Dec 9th 2006 12:37 pm

When Tescos opened stores in Poland we went to check out how they differ from the UK. Basically there was a lot of local Polish stuff you would never find in a UK Tesco, no ready-cooked meals (because polish housewives still cook) and an awful lot of the Tesco Value range (the blue stripes on white label stuff). It reminded me of an early 70's Pile It High, Sell it Cheap Tesco. Still, I guess they have to keep their margins up wherever they are. Interestingly Auchan, the French chain also has stores in Poland and - as Al Campo - in Spain. Their offering is consistent in all three countries. But then, there French and we are talking about food.

Mark

northernbird Dec 9th 2006 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by paulrachel
I preferred ASDA anyway.

never shopped there, our loca Asda was full of chavs because of its location so it was always Tesco or Sainsburys for us.

BadgeIsBack Dec 9th 2006 12:44 pm

Auchan thats a blast from the past..

northernbird Dec 9th 2006 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Auchan thats a blast from the past..

We used to load our F reg vauxhall cavalier full of cheap plonk and those little small bottles of beer that we struggled to get up the hill out of Dover, happy days.

kevinbloomfield Dec 9th 2006 1:08 pm

They couldn't open on my street corner because we live in a residential area, there is no room for supermarkets.

Marks and Spencers have stores in Hong Kong and Singapore and they have the same goods on the shelves.

I only posted this thead for a laugh last night, I'm actually happy enough with Woollies and Coles, they are a bit expensive but the range seems OK to me. I'm happy going to our local butcher for meat and our local bottle shop for beer.

BadgeIsBack Dec 9th 2006 1:16 pm

We used to load our F reg vauxhall cavalier full of cheap plonk and those little small bottles of beer that we struggled to get up the hill out of Dover, happy days.

My first car was a F reg. It ended up 'F'ed around a lamppost 10 odd years ago.
Auchan - mine was in France - in the Alsace - Lorraine area.

northernbird Dec 9th 2006 1:22 pm

My first car was a F reg. It ended up 'F'ed around a lamppost 10 odd years ago.
Auchan - mine was in France - in the Alsace - Lorraine area.

Auchan in Bolougne on booze cruises. Happiness.

hevs Dec 9th 2006 1:59 pm

See your point, Stevie Wonder would prefer narrow isles, so he can fumble down them easier. I go to the supermarkets in Australia and buy food. I'm happy in that regard. There were whole aisles in the UK I'd never need to venture down and it was a real time waster to have to walk past them.

I took it that because Mr Wonder is Blind he would do a shit job because being able to see the layout would be advantageous ;) Job done! :D

BadgeIsBack Dec 10th 2006 4:07 am

Originally Posted by hevs
I took it that because Mr Wonder is Blind he would do a shit job because being able to see the layout would be advantageous ;) Job done! :D

That was too obvious!

moneypenny20 Dec 10th 2006 8:22 am

They better bloody not :eek: I still have nightmares about that shop! And the majority of other UK shops come to that. I have a very good Coles that is useful for general stuff and an excellent fruit barn and a fab butcher - I do not need nor want a sodding Tesco - the shop of the devil as far as I and most farmers are concerned.

That's pissed me off a bit but assume it's a windup like the Perth one:rolleyes:

Amazulu Dec 10th 2006 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20
They better bloody not :eek: I still have nightmares about that shop! And the majority of other UK shops come to that. I have a very good Coles that is useful for general stuff and an excellent fruit barn and a fab butcher - I do not need nor want a sodding Tesco - the shop of the devil as far as I and most farmers are concerned.

That's pissed me off a bit but assume it's a windup like the Perth one:rolleyes:

Coles & Woolies also exploit farmers. Meat prices paid to farmers are at a record low yet the price we pay in the supermarket has not dropped. Same with butchers. Only the farmers seem to be the ones getting screwed.
I have no great desire to see Tescos open here but I do know that the existing 2 players need to get some real competition. I reckon Walmart should move into Australia. That would shake the market up a bit.

GreenTea Dec 10th 2006 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Coles & Woolies also exploit farmers. Meat prices paid to farmers are at a record low yet the price we pay in the supermarket has not dropped. Same with butchers. Only the farmers seem to be the ones getting screwed.
I have no great desire to see Tescos open here but I do know that the existing 2 players need to get some real competition. I reckon Walmart should move into Australia. That would shake the market up a bit.

i hope Tesco can bring cheap bannanas when they open :rolleyes:

toon williams Dec 10th 2006 3:15 pm

Really??

Yes we have!! Right now EVERYTHING or ANYTHING is better than Tescos!!;)

thebears Dec 10th 2006 10:11 pm

Sod off, Mr Cohen.

My reply was going to be "Oh great" deep sounding groaning.

Prefer smaller shops with better produce (even if I have to pay more). Considering the quality has dropped with price over the years I think paying more is just the same.

chels Dec 11th 2006 12:08 am

Originally Posted by thebears
My reply was going to be "Oh great" deep sounding groaning.

Prefer smaller shops with better produce (even if I have to pay more). Considering the quality has dropped with price over the years I think paying more is just the same.

I prefer to do all my food and grocery (even alcohol - radical idea) shopping under one roof and to get it over and done with quickly, as frankly I have better things to do with my time than go from shop to shop to shop. If they were all in one line in my local suburb, maybe, but to have to jump into the car to get to a butchers, then drive somewhere else to get household items, then back home to the expensive franchise baker and finally the local greengrocers (who is great, and the only thing that wouldn't be painful). This weekend I didn't even have time to go to the supermarket, let alone faff around visiting lots of shops.

I'd also prefer not have to pay more - we're on a tight budget you see. Funnily enough not everyone comes over with a big wad of money in the bank.

thebears Dec 11th 2006 12:20 am

Originally Posted by chels
I prefer to do all my food and grocery (even alcohol - radical idea) shopping under one roof and to get it over and done with quickly, as frankly I have better things to do with my time than go from shop to shop to shop. If they were all in one line in my local suburb, maybe, but to have to jump into the car to get to a butchers, then drive somewhere else to get household items, then back home to the expensive franchise baker and finally the local greengrocers (who is great, and the only thing that wouldn't be painful). This weekend I didn't even have time to go to the supermarket, let alone faff around visiting lots of shops.

I'd also prefer not have to pay more - we're on a tight budget you see. Funnily enough not everyone comes over with a big wad of money in the bank.

I see your comment is not headed towards quality local stores v giant blandness so will ignore that little outburst.

Sure some people will claim a need to shop under one store for convenience - nothing stopping you. I prefer to take my time and enjoy chit chat with local traders who care for return business, rather than "its over there".
Guess the difference is price is equivalent to a pack of cigs and pack of beer - so horses for courses.

Swerv-o Dec 11th 2006 1:09 am

I see your comment is not headed towards quality local stores v giant blandness so will ignore that little outburst.

Sure some people will claim a need to shop under one store for convenience - nothing stopping you. I prefer to take my time and enjoy chit chat with local traders who care for return business, rather than "its over there".
Guess the difference is price is equivalent to a pack of cigs and pack of beer - so horses for courses.

I must admit that trailing around endless shops to achieve what you can under one roof isn't my idea of fun. Some people may well have ample time to spend hours each week doing that but I don't. There are far more interesting things for me to spend my time doing than grocery shopping.

I also find that local shops, though great, can actually be a pain, and just don't offer the sort of convenience that I would like. My local butcher on King Street is great. he makes lovely sausages, and has a nice range of meats. the down side is that he only opens from 10 until 12 on Saturday, and is closed by the time I get home from work, so my window of opportunity to go to hime is only 2 hours, and I often find myself not bothering.

Now if you're a stay at home mum, then you can plan your time enough to visit in the week, but I certainly find it difficult, what with working and stuff. In many ways I don't think that sole traders do themselves any favours like that. Surely opening all day on a Saturday and closing on a Monday would be a better idea?

S

chels Dec 11th 2006 1:53 am

Outburst? Because I didn't agree with your point of view? Right... :rolleyes:

I don't have anything else to add because Swerv-o has pretty much said what I would have said.