Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TESCO coming to Joondalup

View Poll Results: Do you want Tescos in Australia?
Yes yes yes.
67.11%
No way
13.60%
Couldn`t care
17.11%
As long as it sells cheap jeans
2.19%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

TESCO coming to Joondalup

Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:54 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TESCO coming to Joondalup

Originally Posted by Hutch
I heard they're setting up a UK retail village in North Sydney. M&S, Waitrose, Next, WH Smiths - even a greasy spoon cafe called The Golden Egg.
Is that next to the Old Kings Head pub?
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:54 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Will the service be appalling and attitude generally miserable? You can't mimic the "British Experience" without these inextricable qualities.

To be honest, the degree of excitement that results from an announcement like this is probably directly proportional to the likelihood of feeling very homesick and wanting to catch a flight home within the first few months of living in Australia.

Personally, I don't want to live in a pseudo-state and if I never see a Tescos again it will be too soon.
couldn't agree more.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:56 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
their millk is going to be minging after 9 weeks at sea. it won't last, people won't buy minging milk.
Maybe it will only be fit for a minging cat?
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:58 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Will the service be appalling and attitude generally miserable? You can't mimic the "British Experience" without these inextricable qualities.

To be honest, the degree of excitement that results from an announcement like this is probably directly proportional to the likelihood of feeling very homesick and wanting to catch a flight home within the first few months of living in Australia.

Personally, I don't want to live in a pseudo-state and if I never see a Tescos again it will be too soon.
I was visiting my office in Sydney the other day - ordered a coffee at our in-house coffee bar , much to the amusement of my local colleagues who were taking bets on wether I'd get served before they had finished their lunch(thy were still ordering). Ultimately I did get served, the service was awful the coffee was crap, 'aint got no large takeaway cups love they've all run out' etc..... (after they'd finished their dialogue about 'our 'treens cat being all sick in t'kitchen' and what exactly they'd been up to at the weekend )

Then I realised - the accents - they were English people serving me. Argh.
The full horror of the events took some time to sink in.

(sorry if anyone here served me that coffee - but it was crap I would even go so far as to suggest that milk had spent 9 weeks at sea)
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:58 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

their millk is going to be minging after 9 weeks at sea. it won't last, people won't buy minging milk.
Don't you believe it, i know a few people here who would buy it just so they could say it came from Tesco :scared: It was just like when Next opened here too.................................. don't get me started or i wont stop.............. but what would the locals in say..... Milton Keynes say if a Coles opened up there????

Aussie supermarkets are IMHO great, i can go in, buy what i need, pay for it, leave, go home and unpack it and have enough food to feed my family for a week without too much hassle..... why the hell would i need tesco to do that??????

Lynn
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:00 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Don't you believe it, i know a few people here who would buy it just so they could say it came from Tesco :scared: It was just like when Next opened here too.................................. don't get me started or i wont stop.............. but what would the locals in say..... Milton Keynes say if a Coles opened up there????

Aussie supermarkets are IMHO great, i can go in, buy what i need, pay for it, leave, go home and unpack it and have enough food to feed my family for a week without too much hassle..... why the hell would i need tesco to do that??????

Lynn
there is a Next in perth !! wow ! how far is it to Perth from Brisbane ... ah d'oh

;-)
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:04 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

there is a Next in perth !! wow ! how far is it to Perth from Brisbane ... ah d'oh

;-)
Stick with the mingin milk jokes.... they are funny

Lynn
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:11 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL and will the fruit and veg be rotten by the next morning like it is here??
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:24 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
LOL and will the fruit and veg be rotten by the next morning like it is here??
Isn't it a pain in the arse eh? Tescos fruit and veg is relatively expensive and guaranteed to be rotting by the time you get it home and unpacked (and not to mention tasteless - it's like eating oddly shaped Ryvita).
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

monkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond repute

NO! OK I shop at Tescos here in the UK, but it doesn't mean I want it when I get to Oz.
I don't want an Australia that's like Britain! I used to think I did - a Starbucks on every corner, Ben & Jerry's - but I've realised that Australia has perfectly good stuff anyway.

And, in my humble opinion, shopping at Coles is way more peaceful and quick than traipsing round a Tesco that's as big as a village - despite the price of lettuce

Rach
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
unfortunately looking at the poll, most want it to be true

lets all move to Oz so we can walk down a highstreet that looks like the UK. c'mon FFS, thats what most of us want to get away from.
here here
lets just call Joondalup , LITTLE ENGLAND
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:31 pm

Isn't it a pain in the arse eh? Tescos fruit and veg is relatively expensive and guaranteed to be rotting by the time you get it home and unpacked (and not to mention tasteless - it's like eating oddly shaped Ryvita).
minging mate, absolutely minging, I do love Ryvitas though will we be able to get them there?
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:35 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth

Lynn
Karma heading your way for this one. And as for the poster (sorry didn't note the name) calling for Next, stop and think and come to your senses. There is nothing in that store you can't get in stacks of other places should you wish to look like everyone else wandering down UK high streets. Most people know, and if they don't by now they should I HATE NEXT :scared:

Rant over, time for bed.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:36 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by possoms
minging mate, absolutely minging, I do love Ryvitas though will we be able to get them there?
Cardboard is cheaper.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:39 pm

Cardboard is cheaper.
will have to ask if we can keep the packing boxes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.