ABCDiamond

Default Re: tesco/asda/next/primark

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
No No No No and Nooooooo
Yes Yes Yes Yes and Yeeeees

At least where I am

Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:45 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no not this again this is torture
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:48 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulieFulie
I am totally amazed by your comments regarding grocery shopping in Australia. There are many great things to enjoy about living in Australia but unfortunately grocery shopping isn't one of them! Leaving clothes shopping aside because I believe that is very much down to personal choice regarding different budgets, when was the last time you visited a Tesco, Sainsburys or Marks and Spencers?? We have only been in Perth 10 months and really my only bugbear about living here apart from missing family and friends is the lack of choice when I go grocery shopping plus the inferior quality of products in the supermarkets. I'm wondering if people who have lived here for a long time have forgotten how good the supermarkets are in the UK, some of the best in the world. Or maybe my standards are just very high... In any case, I believe that the supermarkets here are about 20 years behind the UK or maybe more. Having said all that, the benefits of living here certainly outweigh the few negative aspects like shopping.
I liked the choice in Tesco's but shopping in Oz is sooooo much more civilised as there aren't as many shoppers. I made the mistake of going shopping in Tesco's on a friday when I was back in UK last year, OMG brought shopping rage to a whole new level!!! Thats one aspect I DEFINATELY don't miss!!!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:49 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If people talk only supermarkets, then yes.

However, we use normal shops, Butchers, Fruit and Veg stores etc, in preference to Supermarkets. The quality is better, the prices are cheaper.

Anyone who uses Supermarkets exclusively will obviously complain.

eg: Rump steak at $18 kg at Woolworths or next door in the Butchers for $7.

I say: support your smaller local shops, save money and make the supermarkets more competitive.

You listed the shops within 20 minutes of you, by car.

We have a choice of about 20 butchers and even more fruit and veg shops, all within that range.

Supermarkets ? 4 Woolworths, 3 Coles, 2 Bilo, 3 ALDI, 6 IGA or Foodworks.

But I get the majority of my shopping from NON Supermarkets. Maybe that's why I don't complain as much as some others.

I still say that's fine for all you retired duffers and stay at home mums etc with all the time in the world to spend on the shopping - I have a hectic work and social life to maintain, and grocery shopping is not high on my agenda of importance!

I would much prefer to have a more comprehensive shopping experience in a supermarket than all the endless trailing around the district to save 45c on a slightly better cut of meat. Though I will obviously look forward to that when I retire

S
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:00 am
ABCDiamond

eg: Rump steak at $18 kg at Woolworths or next door in the Butchers for $7.
Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I would much prefer to have a more comprehensive shopping experience in a supermarket than all the endless trailing around the district to save 45c on a slightly better cut of meat.
I would agree if it were only to save 45c and having to trail around a district, but at $9 savings per kg, from a butchers just about next door to Woolworths, I would be mad to pay the high prices.

I spend about 20 minutes, or less, shopping at any one time, normally on the drive home.

Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:18 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Costco has arrived and growing and Gap is coming. New players are coming here very soon!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:24 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Oh no not this again this is torture
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:28 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes Yes Yes Yes and Yeeeees

At least where I am
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Wow what a log thread - and the OP never even bothered to return!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:21 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pootle
Wow what a log thread - and the OP never even bothered to return!
i wonder why im not surprised mate
Old Aug 10th 2010, 2:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Peepster
I love these supermarket threads.The passion, the drama, the wrath - they have it all!!!

Cost of lettuce anyone?
You did ask.....
Todays price.... Iceberg lettuce 49c

Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

coansha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by halfcamoflauge
Can anyone tell me if there is tesco/asda/next/primark in melbourne or if anybody knows if they will be going to oz?
I have heard that Tescos are coming but that was 5 years ago and think it might be another 5 before they do! M & S , top-shop and Debenhams deliver here, obviously no food. Costco just opened in Melbourne and plans for many more. So I think with that success many will follow.
I have noticed lately we have very Tescos influenced meals now, as previously we had no pre packed curries etc. So its slowly catching on to the better ideas from Uk supermarkets but as someone else mentioned I much prefer using my local butcher & fishmonger.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:18 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coansha
I have heard that Tescos are coming but that was 5 years ago and think it might be another 5 before they do!
Are you thinking of this news article in 2007...
WOOLWORTHS is considering teaming up with British retail giant Tesco to make a joint bid for Coles Group that could blow Wesfarmers' $20 billion offer out of the water.

Sources close to the Woolworths camp yesterday indicated that the company [Coles] was moving away from a mooted partnership with a consortium led by US buyout group Kohlberg Kravis Roberts and towards Tesco.
I have noticed lately we have very Tescos influenced meals now, as previously we had no pre packed curries etc. So its slowly catching on to the better ideas from Uk supermarkets but as someone else mentioned I much prefer using my local butcher & fishmonger.
pre packed food = 'better' ideas from Uk supermarkets ?

There may be some disagreement on that bit

Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

coansha is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you thinking of this news article in 2007...

pre packed food = 'better' ideas from Uk supermarkets ?

There may be some disagreement on that bit
No, never said better. Just for mums on the run it helps.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

No, never said better. Just for mums on the run it helps.
Mrs Badge is off shopping as we were all (sprogs and me) chucking up last night.

The endless traipse from shop to shop* is killing us as we wait for sustenance..I could kill for a Lucozade..I rang her and she is having a coffee and a rest as she did not get much sleep last night. Good for her.

*Aldi and Woolies are next door to each other so I exaggerate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.