Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Terrorism returns to Australia

Terrorism returns to Australia

Old Aug 24th 2016, 9:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Terrorism returns to Australia

British woman, 21, killed in Australian backpackers' hostel attack by knifeman 'shouting Allahu Akbar'

Poor woman

Edit:
Meant to put Australia not Sydney in the title
Old Aug 24th 2016, 10:11 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrorism returns to Australia

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Just watching it on the news now

(And I edited the title)
Old Aug 24th 2016, 12:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Another 'I'm stuffed in the head and want to kill someone, so I'll use the old allahu akbar thing to make that ok' piece of shite.

That poor young woman.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's terrorism.. just someone with severe mental health problems. Very sad for the poor girl and her family plus other involved.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 9:32 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Another 'I'm stuffed in the head and want to kill someone, so I'll use the old allahu akbar thing to make that ok' piece of shite.

That poor young woman.
They're reporting this morning that he was obsessed with the woman and that it was unlikely to be a 'terror event'.

I wish people weren't so quick to claim things as terrorist whenever someone is Muslim - it's just like the 70s-90s in the UK where anything that happened that involved someone with an Irish name was definitely IRA. Even when it wasn't.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 9:45 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
They're reporting this morning that he was obsessed with the woman and that it was unlikely to be a 'terror event'.

I wish people weren't so quick to claim things as terrorist whenever someone is Muslim - it's just like the 70s-90s in the UK where anything that happened that involved someone with an Irish name was definitely IRA. Even when it wasn't.
Totally agree on all counts Dreamy.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 1:52 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Completely agree, Dreamy.

I think we should also withhold speculation about mental health problems until there is some confirmation because most homicides where a man kills a woman have nothing to do with mental health. Maybe he had mental health problems but maybe he didn't. If he did, he may still be culpable for his actions. Time will tell. For example, look at the case of Mire (of the infamous "you ain't no Muslim, bruv). Experts disagreed whether his actions were symptoms of his illness or not but the judge sentenced him to a prison term that could include time in a standard prison if his symptoms are found to diminish sufficiently while in Broadmoor.

"The court heard Mire started viewing Isis videos online three years before the attack."

From: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...tenced-to-xxxx

Really hard to separate out madness from badness and determine extent of culpability but we definitely play right into the hands of terrorists if we allow isolated events to become part of a larger narrative of fear. I think the title of this thread should be changed to, "Another woman dies at the hands of a man she knew: drugs, alcohol, and/or mental health problems may have played a role" cos it is closer to the truth.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Completely agree, Dreamy.

I think we should also withhold speculation about mental health problems until there is some confirmation because most homicides where a man kills a woman have nothing to do with mental health. Maybe he had mental health problems but maybe he didn't. If he did, he may still be culpable for his actions. Time will tell. For example, look at the case of Mire (of the infamous "you ain't no Muslim, bruv). Experts disagreed whether his actions were symptoms of his illness or not but the judge sentenced him to a prison term that could include time in a standard prison if his symptoms are found to diminish sufficiently while in Broadmoor.

"The court heard Mire started viewing Isis videos online three years before the attack."

From: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...tenced-to-xxxx

Really hard to separate out madness from badness and determine extent of culpability but we definitely play right into the hands of terrorists if we allow isolated events to become part of a larger narrative of fear. I think the title of this thread should be changed to, "Another woman dies at the hands of a man she knew: drugs, alcohol, and/or mental health problems may have played a role" cos it is closer to the truth.
Isn't all murder a result of mental health? Anything that's not self defence of accidental is surely a mental health issue.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 3:08 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Isn't all murder a result of mental health? Anything that's not self defence of accidental is surely a mental health issue.
No. That is a common but fundamental misunderstanding. People murder for lust, rage, power, jealousy, money, revenge, etc., etc. It is tempting to think someone must be mentally ill to commit barbaric crimes but sadly, no.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

No. That is a common but fundamental misunderstanding. People murder for lust, rage, power, jealousy, money, revenge, etc., etc. It is tempting to think someone must be mentally ill to commit barbaric crimes but sadly, no.
I think that's a bit dismissive. People get jealous, angry etc but I think murder wouldn't naturally follow from that.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 4:03 am
---

I think that's a bit dismissive. People get jealous, angry etc but I think murder wouldn't naturally follow from that.
WTF, what nonsense: I never said all people who get angry, jealous, etc. murder! Imagine if every time someone got angry they murdered someone. I would have murdered my husband about ten thousand times

My point was that most murders ARE NOT perpetrated by people who are mentally unwell. That's not something I made up; it's factual.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

WTF, what nonsense: I never said all people who get angry, jealous, etc. murder! Imagine if every time someone got angry they murdered someone. I would have murdered my husband about ten thousand times

My point was that most murders ARE NOT perpetrated by people who are mentally unwell. That's not something I made up; it's factual.
What is mental health? Would a sane person commit murder? Does a well balanced person happy in their life kill people? I think I'd like to see your research.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 4:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

What is mental health? Would a sane person commit murder? Does a well balanced person happy in their life kill people? I think I'd like to see your research.
I have to agree. Just because you have a 'reason' for murdering someone whether that be lust, rage, power, jealousy, money, etc etc doesn't mean you're rational. If you decide to murder someone you are not firing on all cylinders whether your mental illness is defined or not.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 5:15 am
---

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I have to agree. Just because you have a 'reason' for murdering someone whether that be lust, rage, power, jealousy, money, etc etc doesn't mean you're rational. If you decide to murder someone you are not firing on all cylinders whether your mental illness is defined or not.
Is irrationality synonymous with mental illness?

If you are arguing that all murderers are mentally unwell then shouldn't all murderers receive psychiatric treatment instead of punishment?
Old Aug 25th 2016, 5:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Is irrationality synonymous with mental illness?

If you are arguing that all murderers are mentally unwell then shouldn't all murderers receive psychiatric treatment instead of punishment?
No as a complete layman I think that if something makes you take a life, then you've had a short happen in the electrics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.