Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Terrorism in Melbourne

Terrorism in Melbourne

Old Nov 16th 2018, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrorism in Melbourne

I wonder what the original inhabitants think of all this.
Old Nov 16th 2018, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Which ones?

http://theconversation.com/when-did-aboriginal-people-first-arrive-in-australia-100830
Old Nov 16th 2018, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Those giving deeper consideration, perhaps akin to the Irish, in England, when they welcomed the arrival of Caribbean immigrants, as it took some of the heat, in the form of bias, away from them.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I would equally colour doubt into above references as I would certain extreme claims by religious elements, certainly fringe, rouge elements, but equally unilluminated mainstream claims as well.
I never claimed mainstream religion was the end grand total to anything. I merely get very tired of the same critique being lobbied at the very mention of the word 'religion' , yet nothing at the real causes of a host of social issues and inequality with a populist surge from within the right, of playing the blame game on immigrants and strangers but having very little to offer but divisiveness and hated to meet own means.
If we have the groundings of a philosophical base , the chances are of course we will not be swayed by such forces . Terrorism can be derived by a host of factors. The main one being the inability to think. But triggers can and are, historical injustice, revenge, nationalism, corrupted religious belief, state sponsored, ethnic, mental illness One thing almost always in common though the ability to inflict through manipulation, hatred of the ideological target (not necessary the target itself. Mostly the individual remaining unknown)
Hard to follow some of that, but I agree with your first general point that people can be somewhat rudderless. You mentioned a philosophy originally, a higher calling.
I think that religion, or the institution of the church and associated network might have helped in the past and simply lost relevance for good reason.

I personally think that we all need some meaning which transcends above the immediacy we experience day to day. Of course for many it is a football club.
100 years ago it was football and church. Facebook became very much a religion for many - lots of FB acolytes around.

One of the things I notice is that people are very critical of religion to the point where they appear almost goaded by it. I am not a fan of it myself, but I appreciate the conviction, the intent if that is what helps people. I find Islam seemingly stricter than say Anglicanism. That's the reality. Many people go to church out of a sort of loyal habit - because they need the support network like some people head out to football games. Many religious people are not perfect and many would never preach. [There is this assumption that all religious people want to convert, or are self-righteous. One of the problems I've noticed in parts of the US and in suburban AU is how new some of the religions are - very much more happy clappy than your average Anglican [who drinks piss and swears and is evil Monday -Sat]. You have this situation where the happy-clappy, and most riled all live hundreds of meters apart... in the same suburb.

On a final note, (no pun intended) - I have been forced in recent years to concede that without religion we would not have some of the classical musical repertoire..or history of art.(lol!) I sing Verdi, Mozart, Beethhoven and half of it is essentially the Mass in Latin repeated ad finitum! Focus on the music, not the words...
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Hard to follow some of that, but I agree with your first general point that people can be somewhat rudderless. You mentioned a philosophy originally, a higher calling.
I think that religion, or the institution of the church and associated network might have helped in the past and simply lost relevance for good reason.

I personally think that we all need some meaning which transcends above the immediacy we experience day to day. Of course for many it is a football club.
100 years ago it was football and church. Facebook became very much a religion for many - lots of FB acolytes around.

One of the things I notice is that people are very critical of religion to the point where they appear almost goaded by it. I am not a fan of it myself, but I appreciate the conviction, the intent if that is what helps people. I find Islam seemingly stricter than say Anglicanism. That's the reality. Many people go to church out of a sort of loyal habit - because they need the support network like some people head out to football games. Many religious people are not perfect and many would never preach. [There is this assumption that all religious people want to convert, or are self-righteous. One of the problems I've noticed in parts of the US and in suburban AU is how new some of the religions are - very much more happy clappy than your average Anglican [who drinks piss and swears and is evil Monday -Sat]. You have this situation where the happy-clappy, and most riled all live hundreds of meters apart... in the same suburb.

On a final note, (no pun intended) - I have been forced in recent years to concede that without religion we would not have some of the classical musical repertoire..or history of art.(lol!) I sing Verdi, Mozart, Beethhoven and half of it is essentially the Mass in Latin repeated ad finitum! Focus on the music, not the words...
Well you picked up obviously the odd word, here and there. I mentioned a philosophy yes, not necessary a deity, but can of course. I don't necessary think any such thing. I se main stream religion still of relevance in South America. I see it in Islamic countries , as well as African communities in Australia. Obviously the assault of material values and individualism has displaced main stream religion in much of the West, but far from all of it.
Yes many are rudderless, with not only religious belief dissipated but entire cultural norms that have guided western culture since time began, (a lot based on Judeo Christian message) dissipating with little of worth as a replacement.
People applaud the 'void' as some awakening but seem lost how to describe just what exactly the replacement has been. Not a fan of the' happy clappy' type of religious appropriation at all, but not about me, others find some meaning, so be it. Farcebook probably is a religion of sorts, in terms of a sort of salvation for some, which goes a little towards fingering just how far we, or members of our society have regressed.

I'll endeavour to keep it short as to not complicate comprehension.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 4:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Multiculturalism in the west has been such a success hasn't it:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...eastern-france

Drip, drip, drip.........
Old Dec 12th 2018, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Multiculturalism in the west has been such a success hasn't it:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...eastern-france

Drip, drip, drip.........
That drip is becoming increasingly troublesome. Just a question of calling a shrink or a plumber as the next step forward. But you are right, multiculturalism has been remarkably successful regardless of efforts of right wing racists (real enemy) and the odd few (packed for Perth) South Africans.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 2:18 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

That drip is becoming increasingly troublesome. Just a question of calling a shrink or a plumber as the next step forward. But you are right, multiculturalism has been remarkably successful regardless of efforts of right wing racists (real enemy) and the odd few (packed for Perth) South Africans.
uh uh
Old Dec 12th 2018, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

uh uh
Obviously a dripping faucet caused by constant, unnecessary function with worn out rubbers.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 10:11 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Obviously a dripping faucet caused by constant, unnecessary function with worn out rubbers.
I've told you before, it's essentially pointless trying to debate with you because:
a. I'd get more out of debating with a chimp
b. You're basically f**king mental

So, party on with that
Old Dec 12th 2018, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've told you before, it's essentially pointless trying to debate with you because:
a. I'd get more out of debating with a chimp
b. You're basically f**king mental

So, party on with that
Well stop telling then and attempt at debate. A line or two of right wing ideological mutterings is not debate. You know with me your shite just won't carry. You really should look 'deep ' into yourself and ask the question, "Why am I the way I am". The rhetoric hasn't changed over the years. So predictable and filled with narrow minded rhetoric, poorly thought out.
I'd really get that drip looked at. From outward appearances, far more risk, that a purely faulty faucet caused by excessive rubbing. These things left, only tend to create far more severe problems, further down the road.
I'll leave you to chatter and party on then with' your bestie' chimp friend and share a banana. No doubt the chimp must be' in meltdown' having to listen to your uncoordinated utterances all day long. (I really feel for the animal)
Old Dec 12th 2018, 11:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Well stop telling then and attempt at debate. A line or two of right wing ideological mutterings is not debate. You know with me your shite just won't carry. You really should look 'deep ' into yourself and ask the question, "Why am I the way I am". The rhetoric hasn't changed over the years. So predictable and filled with narrow minded rhetoric, poorly thought out.
I'd really get that drip looked at. From outward appearances, far more risk, that a purely faulty faucet caused by excessive rubbing. These things left, only tend to create far more severe problems, further down the road.
I'll leave you to chatter and party on then with' your bestie' chimp friend and share a banana. No doubt the chimp must be' in meltdown' having to listen to your uncoordinated utterances all day long. (I really feel for the animal)
uh uh
Old Dec 13th 2018, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

uh uh
No doubt your little primate pal has sought refuge in the highest tree, hence unavailable to advise you of response. Although probably one of the the more elegant of responses from yours truly to date.
Now what was the topic under discussion again?
Old Dec 13th 2018, 3:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Now what was the topic under discussion again?
Home-grown Islamic terrorism and the failure of multiculturalism in the West
Old Dec 13th 2018, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Home-grown Islamic terrorism and the failure of multiculturalism in the West
Ah yes. The real threat. Good to see that nazi/red neck terrorist down South USA , got a life term and a couple of years to reflect of the reasons for his unfounded hatred. Home grown white men with severe personality issues, clouded in guise of mental illness are a definite threat to stability.
Great to see multiculturalism defining nations as Australia and Canada in such a successful way. I'm sure there are 'places' for those, who attempt to poison and create mischief on all sides of out diverse communities, while awaiting removal to state of origin. Ask your primate to fill you in when he gathers courage to descend from the trees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.