Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Terminco - Preventative System Warranty. Would you extend??

Terminco - Preventative System Warranty. Would you extend??

Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Terminco - Preventative System Warranty. Would you extend??

Hi all,

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question but would appreciate some help.

We purchased our house from someone that had it built last year. Termico put down a Termite Preventative System during construction. We have received a letter advising that we need to extend the warranty in order to be covered for Complete Timber Placement.

It costs about $160 (if we add spider treatment an extra $20). This includes an inspection.

Its not a great deal of money but just wondered if it was needed.

Thanks in advance.

Poppet
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terminco - Preventative System Warranty. Would you extend??

I think it is worth it.
1. You don't want termites.
2. Having the warranty will help when you sell the house.
3. It's a good way of keeping spiders away as their treatment is much better than DIY.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lesleys
I think it is worth it.
1. You don't want termites.
2. Having the warranty will help when you sell the house.
3. It's a good way of keeping spiders away as their treatment is much better than DIY.
I hadn't really thought of the advantage of having it if we sold. Good point. Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

I have Termico inspect my house annually, only to maintain the warranty. I haven't managed to have Termico honour their commitment to treat termites within 50 m of the house in between annual inspections. We have found termites in mulch (sorry we don't blanket spray), in plant pots (well move the plant pot and put a tile underneath it) and finally in a tree stump (sorry, it's on the edge of your property and the termite nest is in your neighbours property, therefore they need to treat it)
This year I called around other Termite companies but found that I would need to have them treat the place before they would give a warranty. So I am stuck with Termico for the next 7 years
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:02 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

We did our own DIY bait stations, and do our own checks...nest kill stuff on detection isn't that extortionate.....all up $600 (14 stations)

We felt that there was just too much small print and clauses in the professional warranties.

Jan (in a wooden house )
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

it's probably good to have if you're selling... but quite honestly it's a con... $160 and all they do is wander round the house then tell you the mulch is too near the walls

we did ours, only because we planned to move (inspeciton was due in Feb and house already on the market) - maybe we would have done it anyway but wouldnt have bothered the following year - OH could check himself, it's not rocket science...
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
it's probably good to have if you're selling... but quite honestly it's a con... $160 and all they do is wander round the house then tell you the mulch is too near the walls

we did ours, only because we planned to move (inspeciton was due in Feb and house already on the market) - maybe we would have done it anyway but wouldnt have bothered the following year - OH could check himself, it's not rocket science...
Our inspection covered all the internal walls for dampness (termites need moisture) which took much longer than the external inspection. He said it would also have shown up any plumbing leaks inside the walls...
The spider spray also cuts out loads of cleaning up webs around windows, external lights etc.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 7:43 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

I am amazed by how many people get sucked in by this, we have a nest of RED ANTS on our property, and apparently they love termites, and we have PEPPER TREES on our property [Which are a termite magnet], and in 20years have not had a touch, our house is all wood bye the way...........mm