Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

temporary visa????

temporary visa????

Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Alec is a jewel in the roughAlec is a jewel in the roughAlec is a jewel in the roughAlec is a jewel in the rough
Default temporary visa????

We were turned down for PR a couple of months ago. The reason given was that the work I had been doing since moving to Spain 2 years ago was not demanding enough. Anyway got over the shock and disappointment and the best thing we can come up with is a temp visa. Apparently being a chippy my best bet is WA which is probably where we are heading. Any help or advice would be great particularly on temp visas and the drawbacks of one, work and accom in or around Perth.
Thanks in anticipation
Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:30 pm
Come on down...........

a and ts mum will become famous soon enough
Default Re: temporary visa????

Hi Alec,

Regarding the pro's & con's of a temp visa I would suggest you look at the 457 visa restrictions forum. Just click on the immigration link and almost at the top of the page (just under the Wiki Links header) you will see 457 visa restrictions. It's worth a look, I found this very helpful.

Good luck, sorry about PR.

Lisa
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Alec is a jewel in the roughAlec is a jewel in the roughAlec is a jewel in the roughAlec is a jewel in the rough
Question Re: temporary visa????

Thanks Lisa,

That's very helpful. Have you had experience of anyone obtaining a temporary visa? If so, did they have a rough time, or was it fairly smooth and would you say it's the way to go?

Many thanks,
Alec:confused
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

SafetyJohn has a spectacular aura aboutSafetyJohn has a spectacular aura aboutSafetyJohn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Alec
Thanks Lisa,

That's very helpful. Have you had experience of anyone obtaining a temporary visa? If so, did they have a rough time, or was it fairly smooth and would you say it's the way to go?

Many thanks,
Alec:confused
Hi Alec

We're currently waiting for our 457 to come through. The visa process has been straightforward for us, I suppose the hardest part is finding someone to sponser you first. Even though my husband's job is in high demand it's not on the skilled occupation list so for us it was the only way. We are hoping that they will sponser us for PR once we get there, I know it can be a risk going on a temp visa but like I said the only way for us.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Sarah
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:06 pm

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose it depends what your after in the short / long term.

We're on a 457 and it only took 6 weeks for us to get it from medicals to getting the visa granted. We aren't here indefinately as per the visa and there are lots of pro's and con's but we're happy on one!

Mainly because what will be will be

Carmel
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: temporary visa????

Originally Posted by SafetyJohn
Hi Alec

We're currently waiting for our 457 to come through. The visa process has been straightforward for us, I suppose the hardest part is finding someone to sponser you first. Even though my husband's job is in high demand it's not on the skilled occupation list so for us it was the only way. We are hoping that they will sponser us for PR once we get there, I know it can be a risk going on a temp visa but like I said the only way for us.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Sarah

Thank you very much for this, our heads are all over the place with trying to decide what to do, and knowing that others are in the same position as us is comforting and makes us feel that it is worth going for! Have you used a migration expert to help you? When did you apply for your 457, and do you know roughly how long they take?

Good luck to you as well.

Alec & Jane
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Wendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really nice

Hello there I was sponsored by the Department of Health in WA I submitted my application in June and was granted a visa two weeks ago. Really straight forward and easy. If you are really keen to go then it is a way in.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carmele
I suppose it depends what your after in the short / long term.

We're on a 457 and it only took 6 weeks for us to get it from medicals to getting the visa granted. We aren't here indefinately as per the visa and there are lots of pro's and con's but we're happy on one!

Mainly because what will be will be

Carmel

Hi Carmel

Thanks for this, bit confused though! Did you have medicals for the temporary visa? Was it difficult for you to get work sponsorship? Thank you for your comments, it seems that all the headaches caused by trying to decide what to do are probably worth it. You sound happy to be in Oz, and yes, what will be will be, totally agree!

Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wendy007
Hello there I was sponsored by the Department of Health in WA I submitted my application in June and was granted a visa two weeks ago. Really straight forward and easy. If you are really keen to go then it is a way in.
Hi Wendy

That sounds promising! How did you get sponsorship from the Dept of Health in WA? Did you have help from a migration expert with your application? Is it a temp visa that you have been granted?

We're still in shock following our refusal of a PR visa, are we destined to go back to the UK or do we fight for Oz, thanks to some very helpful comments, it is becoming clear that we should go to Oz!!

Thank you, Alec & Jane

We have 3 daughters, ages just 17, 9 and 8. Would a temporary visa affect them in any way?
Old Oct 8th 2007, 1:58 pm

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alec,

We had to have medicals as we are on sponsored 457 visa. A well known recruitment agency is sponsoring my OH here on a temporary basis for 4 years initially.

We just decided to come here one day It wasn't one of those long drawn out processess for us where we weighed everything up we just packed our bags and before we knew it we were here and time will tell........

It was all straight forward for us, we got it into our heads, we couldn't get in on our own merits, (OH has loads of experience and I have degree) but singularly we fell short on points..... our only option was the sponsored route, we have no plans, no agenda and no pressure to make it work so for us as a family so it's great opportunity to be free spirited and have an experience without the pressure of what's in the future........ if we like it and want to make it more permanent we will go thru the necessary process.

Hope this helps. I know people say there are downsides to sponsored visa's but for some they are the only option and it works well.

Good luck

Carmel
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

SafetyJohn has a spectacular aura aboutSafetyJohn has a spectacular aura aboutSafetyJohn has a spectacular aura about

Thank you very much for this, our heads are all over the place with trying to decide what to do, and knowing that others are in the same position as us is comforting and makes us feel that it is worth going for! Have you used a migration expert to help you? When did you apply for your 457, and do you know roughly how long they take?

Good luck to you as well.

Alec & Jane

Hi Alec & Jane

Yes the company employing my husband did use an agent. It was all so easy we had to send them copies of our passport, wedding certificate, children's birth certificates, john's CV and a copy of his degree. We just had to have chest xrays and the children just had medicals. It was all really easy. Our application was lodged 28/08, the medicals arrived 10/09 and were approved today so hopefully we should have our visa this week

Do you think you are going to try and get sponsership?

Sarah
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Wendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really nice

Hi Wendy

That sounds promising! How did you get sponsorship from the Dept of Health in WA? Did you have help from a migration expert with your application? Is it a temp visa that you have been granted?

We're still in shock following our refusal of a PR visa, are we destined to go back to the UK or do we fight for Oz, thanks to some very helpful comments, it is becoming clear that we should go to Oz!!

Thank you, Alec & Jane

We have 3 daughters, ages just 17, 9 and 8. Would a temporary visa affect them in any way?
Hello Alec

I visited the King Edward Memorial Hospital in Perth whilst on holiday in April (I am a Midwife)and spoke to one of the managers there. She gave me her contact details and said if I was interested in a job to give her a call when I got back. After much delibaration I called her beginning of May this year, then had a telephone interview two weeks after and was nominated for sponsorship. Received nomination number at end of June medicals 30th July and received visa 22/09/07. I was guided through each stage by my case officer who told me to have meds, send docs etc. Hope this helps if you need any further info just let me know.

good luck we are taking the line of life is to short and we do not want to regret not going so flying 25th October really scared now.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Wendy

Thank you, Alec & Jane

Sorry Alec we did not need an agent and we were granted 4 year temporary visa 457 all we had to pay for was the meds and x rays.

wendy
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SafetyJohn
Hi Alec & Jane

Yes the company employing my husband did use an agent. It was all so easy we had to send them copies of our passport, wedding certificate, children's birth certificates, john's CV and a copy of his degree. We just had to have chest xrays and the children just had medicals. It was all really easy. Our application was lodged 28/08, the medicals arrived 10/09 and were approved today so hopefully we should have our visa this week

Do you think you are going to try and get sponsership?

Sarah

Hi Sarah

With one thing and another, we've not been able to use the internet lately. Anyway, how's it going? Has your visa arrived yet?! If so, when are you heading off?! How exciting!!

We are going for the sponsorship idea, just waiting to hear something.

Jane & Alec
Old Nov 20th 2007, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wendy007
Hello Alec

I visited the King Edward Memorial Hospital in Perth whilst on holiday in April (I am a Midwife)and spoke to one of the managers there. She gave me her contact details and said if I was interested in a job to give her a call when I got back. After much delibaration I called her beginning of May this year, then had a telephone interview two weeks after and was nominated for sponsorship. Received nomination number at end of June medicals 30th July and received visa 22/09/07. I was guided through each stage by my case officer who told me to have meds, send docs etc. Hope this helps if you need any further info just let me know.

good luck we are taking the line of life is to short and we do not want to regret not going so flying 25th October really scared now.

Hi Wendy

With one thing and another we haven't been able to use the internet lately. Anyway, how's it going? You must really be getting into the swing of it by now! Is Oz as good as they say?!

We are still waiting to hear something, and totally agree with you that life is too short and we don't want to regret not going either!

Jane