Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Temp to Permanent Visa?

Temp to Permanent Visa?

Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:33 am
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Temp to Permanent Visa?

Hi All,
We are going out on a 457 temp long stay visa, is there any time limits before we can apply for permanent residency?
Regards,
Rachel & Paul
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

aaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Temp to Permanent Visa?

Originally Posted by Rachel & Paul
Hi All,
We are going out on a 457 temp long stay visa, is there any time limits before we can apply for permanent residency?
Regards,
Rachel & Paul

If you are applying for a Skilled Independent Visa 136 then there is no time limits i.e. you can apply straight away. However, this also means that you will lose the Living away from home allowance the day you apply (if you are claiming this)

With regards the to the ENS, your employer can also sponsor you straight away, but you will need a skills assessment by the relevent authority to submit with your part of the application. Otherwise you will need to wait two years (at least 12 months with the employer who is going to sponsor you) without needing to submit this.

I think I am right in saying this because we are in the same situation and have been doing some in depth research on this. We have realised it is much better to be permanent than on a 457 visa. We feel very vunerable on the 457 i.e the employer could terminate your contract with a months notice - and that its back to ol blighty. We cannot entertain this idea when there has been much expense settling in Oz and especially since we love it over here.

Good Luck in your endeavours!
Old Mar 25th 2006, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Derek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura about

Hi All,
Regards,
Rachel & Paul

Hi,

I came over on a 457 in Sep and put in for PR straight away and it only took 6-8 weeks. I was sponsored by my company. If you are thinking of doing this then I would advise the following:-

1. Make sure you have the permanent residency medicals as the 457 are not the same. If you have the PR ones you can use them for the 457 visa and you do not need to resubmit any for the PR as long as you apply within 12 months.

2. Get the police checks done before leaving the UK you do not need them for the 457 but will need them for the PR.

3. If you apply fro the PR when her on a 457 then send everything off with the application (same for the 457 as that only took me 6 weeks.)

All the best

Derek
Old Mar 25th 2006, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry don't understand your No 3. ?

Originally Posted by Derek Clarke
Hi,

I came over on a 457 in Sep and put in for PR straight away and it only took 6-8 weeks. I was sponsored by my company. If you are thinking of doing this then I would advise the following:-

1. Make sure you have the permanent residency medicals as the 457 are not the same. If you have the PR ones you can use them for the 457 visa and you do not need to resubmit any for the PR as long as you apply within 12 months.

2. Get the police checks done before leaving the UK you do not need them for the 457 but will need them for the PR.

3. If you apply fro the PR when her on a 457 then send everything off with the application (same for the 457 as that only took me 6 weeks.)

All the best

Derek
Old Mar 25th 2006, 1:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derek Clarke
Hi,

If you qualify for immediate PR through ENS or RSMS, an alternative approach is to forget the 457 visa and apply for ENS/RSMS offshore. Employer sponsored migration applications are given priority.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 12:39 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luma
Sorry don't understand your No 3. ?
Hi Luma.
Derek just means front load........send everything up front to DIMIA.
ie send in the medicals and police checks with the visa application.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Questions about temp to permanent visa medicals

We'll be doing medicals for 457 visa in the next few weeks.

1. Should we only do what is required for 457 visa
or
2. Should we do full medicals (we'll be applying for a permanent visa in a few months time when we're in Australia)
or
3. Should we just do the remainder of medicals required for permanent visa when we're already in Australia?

(I am aware that medicals expire within 1yr)

Originally Posted by Bix
Hi Luma.
Derek just means front load........send everything up front to DIMIA.
ie send in the medicals and police checks with the visa application.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 6:15 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Questions about temp to permanent visa medicals

We'll be doing medicals for 457 visa in the next few weeks.

1. Should we only do what is required for 457 visa
or
2. Should we do full medicals (we'll be applying for a permanent visa in a few months time when we're in Australia)
or
3. Should we just do the remainder of medicals required for permanent visa when we're already in Australia?

(I am aware that medicals expire within 1yr)

We only had to do x-rays in the UK for the 457.

Then when in Aus did the full meds, bloods and x-rays for our RSMS application. They wouldn't accept the x-rays even though they were only a few months old. I think "legally" they should but try arguing with DIMIA.

As it happened it was good that we did it all over here as it's a damn sight cheaper than in the UK.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Many thanks we'll do only what is required for now then.

Originally Posted by Bix
We only had to do x-rays in the UK for the 457.

Then when in Aus did the full meds, bloods and x-rays for our RSMS application. They wouldn't accept the x-rays even though they were only a few months old. I think "legally" they should but try arguing with DIMIA.

As it happened it was good that we did it all over here as it's a damn sight cheaper than in the UK.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 9:41 am
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Many thanks we'll do only what is required for now then.
Same here, we have our meds a week on tuesday, and the application asks for Rachel to have full bloods and medical as she is a nurse, and myself and Charlotte just need chest xrays, we'll have the rest over there.
Regards,
Paul
Old Mar 28th 2006, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough

We went 457 first that took about 5 weeks, then got here and after a couple of months or so lodged an ENS application for PR. This took about 3 weeks.

We did the 457 route as I needed to get out here quickly. There is an argument though that the ENS route can actually be quite quick, so perhaps I was misguided - I certainly expected PR to take months if not years - but it does not.

I would consider JAJ's advise to avoid the 457 as very sound, as I see reiterated in many posts.

As a side comment on the medicals. Not that I know too much about it, but I seem to remember that I could only use the same medicals as for the 457 application if my application was received within 3 months of the original medicals being carried out.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 2:31 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here, we have our meds a week on tuesday, and the application asks for Rachel to have full bloods and medical as she is a nurse, and myself and Charlotte just need chest xrays, we'll have the rest over there.
Regards,
Paul
How old is your daughter, Paul?
Old Mar 28th 2006, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Coulterk
We went 457 first that took about 5 weeks, then got here and after a couple of months or so lodged an ENS application for PR. This took about 3 weeks.

We did the 457 route as I needed to get out here quickly. There is an argument though that the ENS route can actually be quite quick, so perhaps I was misguided - I certainly expected PR to take months if not years - but it does not.

I would consider JAJ's advise to avoid the 457 as very sound, as I see reiterated in many posts.

As a side comment on the medicals. Not that I know too much about it, but I seem to remember that I could only use the same medicals as for the 457 application if my application was received within 3 months of the original medicals being carried out.
WE also needed to come out at short notice, and came on a 457 last August. We had a long wait to apply for PR, because of getting recognition for dh's chartered engineer status, but we're now in the process of converting through ENS - although we have stalled on the medicals. Like Bix, we had to have repeat x-rays although they were only eight months old. Didn't like it but were told there was no alternative.

We've been told to expect the application to take three to four months - and that was *before* it was put on ice while we get blood pressure stuff sorted.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
WE also needed to come out at short notice, and came on a 457 last August. We had a long wait to apply for PR, because of getting recognition for dh's chartered engineer status, but we're now in the process of converting through ENS - although we have stalled on the medicals. Like Bix, we had to have repeat x-rays although they were only eight months old. Didn't like it but were told there was no alternative.

We've been told to expect the application to take three to four months - and that was *before* it was put on ice while we get blood pressure stuff sorted.
Hi Bella Donna

If you don't mind me asking, what have you got to sort re blood pressure?
I have had high blood pressure for many years & have been taking medication for this for 18 months so it is now controlled. Wondering if this will be negative for our medicals when we go PR (currently applying for 457) Thanks

Sorry, after posting this just saw your thread re. the very same subject!
Good luck
Leigh

Last edited by leigh&ivan; Mar 28th 2006 at 6:16 am.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
Hi Bella Donna

If you don't mind me asking, what have you got to sort re blood pressure?
I have had high blood pressure for many years & have been taking medication for this for 18 months so it is now controlled. Wondering if this will be negative for our medicals when we go PR (currently applying for 457) Thanks

Sorry, after posting this just saw your thread re. the very same subject!
Good luck
Leigh
Hello Leigh,

As I understand it, the visa applications will not proceed until the doctors are reassured that I have no pathology underlying my high blood pressure. I had a battery of blood tests this morning that might shed some light on it, but the GP is certain that in my case it is probably mostly hereditary. He's arranged for me to have a 24-hour monitor fitted and if that still shows it as consistently high, he will organise an ECG to confirm whether there are any heart irregularities.

From there, if none are evident (and I have had a couple of ECGs in England that showed no abnormality), I guess I will be offered medication to *control* it. That's where he and I are going to fall out. But once it is established that there is no heart pathology, he will notify DIMIA and the applications *should* proceed.

In your case, if you have managed hypertension I can't see it would be a problem. It's obviously been investigated and is under control, so you would not be deemed a potential risk to the government's budget, imho. This is what it's all about - they have to be sure they can get more back from you than you will cost them. Although they will tell you that it's all about your health....

Good luck with your meds. If you're applying for a 457, it won't be an issue. All we had to have were chest x-rays.

Sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.