Reload this Page >

temorary working visa

Wikiposts

temorary working visa

Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:06 am
Just Joined

wompa is on a distinguished road
Default temorary working visa

Hi I am a 27 yr old time served electrician thinking of going to Oz at the end of august. As far as i know I can get a 1 year working holiday visa but i would like to live there eventually as I have had enough of england!!.
I have a second cousin living in melbourne who is a vet. If anyone could give me some advice on maybe the best place to go with regards to getting work, how much money I would need to bring, and how hard it would be to get a flat etc. I would really appreciate it.
I have looked at websites etc but they all seem to be aimed at backpackers which is not really what i want to do... (I'm more of a city person)

thanks
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:14 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: temorary working visa

Originally Posted by wompa
Hi I am a 27 yr old time served electrician thinking of going to Oz at the end of august. As far as i know I can get a 1 year working holiday visa but i would like to live there eventually as I have had enough of england!!.
I have a second cousin living in melbourne who is a vet. If anyone could give me some advice on maybe the best place to go with regards to getting work, how much money I would need to bring, and how hard it would be to get a flat etc. I would really appreciate it.
I have looked at websites etc but they all seem to be aimed at backpackers which is not really what i want to do... (I'm more of a city person)

thanks
You can live in the cities as a WHVer however wherever you live you can only work for any one employer for 3 months at a time. Most skilled visas need some form of experience in your profession and WHVers often find their year in OZ and invalidated their experience.

Some WHVers get sponsored by their work however that is normally by luck than intention.

Another option is to apply for a skilled visa that you are eligible for and go for the WHV whilst waiting for the PR visa. An agent would have to advise you on the mechanics and timings.

Look at your skilled visa options on www.immi.gov.au .
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:43 am
Just Joined

wompa is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bondipom
You can live in the cities as a WHVer however wherever you live you can only work for any one employer for 3 months at a time. Most skilled visas need some form of experience in your profession and WHVers often find their year in OZ and invalidated their experience.

Some WHVers get sponsored by their work however that is normally by luck than intention.

Another option is to apply for a skilled visa that you are eligible for and go for the WHV whilst waiting for the PR visa. An agent would have to advise you on the mechanics and timings.

Look at your skilled visa options on www.immi.gov.au .
Thanks, that was very helpful
have 10 yrs experience as an electrician including my apprenteship, would it be hard to get work out there as an electrician when I come on my WHV?
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:47 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wompa
Thanks, that was very helpful
have 10 yrs experience as an electrician including my apprenteship, would it be hard to get work out there as an electrician when I come on my WHV?
There is plenty of work around but I believe you would have to get a license. Not being a sparky I cannot comment on the availbility of temp and contract work.