Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Telstra - Security Fee!

Telstra - Security Fee!

Old Mar 27th 2010, 11:02 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold
Default Telstra - Security Fee!

Hi Guys

We noticed an additional charge on our latest bill for $9.95 'Additional Services One Off Fee' and wondered what it was for, it was a complete mystery. We Googled and found that it was for Bigpond Security.

We have had NO recent conversations with anyone from Bigpond and have never even heard of Bigpond Security!

Apparently there are quite a few on the web who have fallen foul to this additional payment. Some are saying that Bigpond Security sales teams are 'signing' people up without their knowledge to a free 60 day trial but if you dont cancel it within 60 days, you are then charged a monthly (9.95) or yearly (99.50) fee and there is also a minimum period of 1 year, with a cancellation fee applying too.

If you dont know that you are on the 60 day trial then you dont know to cancel it either. Bigpond have sent out emails to Bigpond email accounts and I have never logged onto my onto my Bigpond email account since day 1 - 18 months ago, as we use hotmail, so would never have know.

I will be telephoning on Monday to request these payments are credited back to our account and failing that will be registering a complaint with the Telecom Industry Ombudsman.

Just thought that I would mention this on here, in case anyone else has this payment and with no knowledge of it - time to check those bills.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Telstra - Security Fee!

Thanks for the warning - I'll check our bill tomorrow!!
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Have fun with TIO as we have been to them twice because of the amazing number of mistakes that Telstra have made including taking over $1000 from my bank account one day as a result of a technical error! The TIO appears to be very over stretched (probably dealing with complaints against Telstra/Bigpond) and in my opnion have been very little use in getting issues resolved.

Sam
Old Mar 28th 2010, 12:54 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Have fun with TIO as we have been to them twice because of the amazing number of mistakes that Telstra have made including taking over $1000 from my bank account one day as a result of a technical error! The TIO appears to be very over stretched (probably dealing with complaints against Telstra/Bigpond) and in my opnion have been very little use in getting issues resolved.

Sam
I have heard that TIO are pretty stretched but last time I had trouble sorting something out with Telstra the mere threat of going to TIO seemed to work in my favour. TIO first step is to contact high level complaints group at Telstra - as below.

As a first step, please call Telstra's Customer Referral Centre about your complaint - on 1800 001 398. This department is a high level complaints group at Telstra which receives referrals from the TIO.

Telstra's Customer Referral Centre will have 10 working days to resolve your complaint directly with you.

It is a standard part of our process to give a company another opportunity to resolve a complaint directly with their customer. In our experience, most complaints are resolved by this process of direct referral. Please tell Telstra's Customer Referral Centre that the TIO referred you.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 7:15 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

When we signed up with Telstra we were offered this. All they said was "You also get a 60 day bigpond security trial" - I questioned this and found out you automatically got transferred to paying after the trial, so told them to stick it!
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:26 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Originally Posted by kar-kier
When we signed up with Telstra we were offered this. All they said was "You also get a 60 day bigpond security trial" - I questioned this and found out you automatically got transferred to paying after the trial, so told them to stick it!
Apparently they are telling customers about the 60 day trial without telling them about having to cancel before the 60 days is up.

We arent new customers and have been with Telstra/Bigpond for 18 months now. We havent spoken to anyone from Telstra since my last run in over being double charged about 6 months ago, so have no idea how we have even been 'signed up' for the Security trial.

They really are a shocking outfit! Cant wait to switch.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 9:35 am
ABCDiamond

There is only one way to get a good safe deal from Telstra...

Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:29 am
Just Joined

GavinCostello is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spellbound
Hi Guys

We noticed an additional charge on our latest bill for $9.95 'Additional Services One Off Fee' and wondered what it was for, it was a complete mystery. We Googled and found that it was for Bigpond Security.

We have had NO recent conversations with anyone from Bigpond and have never even heard of Bigpond Security!

Apparently there are quite a few on the web who have fallen foul to this additional payment. Some are saying that Bigpond Security sales teams are 'signing' people up without their knowledge to a free 60 day trial but if you dont cancel it within 60 days, you are then charged a monthly (9.95) or yearly (99.50) fee and there is also a minimum period of 1 year, with a cancellation fee applying too.

If you dont know that you are on the 60 day trial then you dont know to cancel it either. Bigpond have sent out emails to Bigpond email accounts and I have never logged onto my onto my Bigpond email account since day 1 - 18 months ago, as we use hotmail, so would never have know.

I will be telephoning on Monday to request these payments are credited back to our account and failing that will be registering a complaint with the Telecom Industry Ombudsman.

Just thought that I would mention this on here, in case anyone else has this payment and with no knowledge of it - time to check those bills.
Hi Spellbound/All

Customers who believe they are being charged for products they have not signed up for should contact 13 POND or fill out the web form here so we can assist them:

https://bigpond.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...p_type=billing

Thanks