Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

telstra for overseas calls

telstra for overseas calls

Old Dec 2nd 2013, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default telstra for overseas calls

i have had telstra home phone and internet plan for a few months now and yes we can use skype,viber etc for making calls,but its not always ideal.
i was wondering your thoughts was on the telstra international value pack and calling pack anyone used this or have it and your thoughts,like the idea of the calling pack due to paying only 15 a month i take this is all you pay;the value bundle maybe working out more if yding it more.
i see there are other options to calling overseas phone cards but the cost im sure 10 for the cards whats your thoughts on the telstra bundles i mention.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 9:51 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: telstra for overseas calls

Originally Posted by brian.w
i have had telstra home phone and internet plan for a few months now and yes we can use skype,viber etc for making calls,but its not always ideal.
i was wondering your thoughts was on the telstra international value pack and calling pack anyone used this or have it and your thoughts,like the idea of the calling pack due to paying only 15 a month i take this is all you pay;the value bundle maybe working out more if yding it more.
i see there are other options to calling overseas phone cards but the cost im sure 10 for the cards whats your thoughts on the telstra bundles i mention.
Check out the Skype out option.
If you don't know about it(?) it's NOT like Skype on the computer.... you take out a subscription - $6.99 for the UK (or one country) or $9.99 for the whole of Europe.
You then ensure your home phone plan has free local calls.
With your Skype subscription you get a local number to call. Call the local number and you are instantly connected to the UK and for only $6.99 per month unlimited.
This is a great package if you are out in the car, at the beach etc etc and you want to phone 'home', simply call the local number and hey presto!
I often call Mum and Dad on the commute home, makes the journey better and frees up time at home.

More info.......https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1...criptions-work

Cheers
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

We always needed the option of calling Korea as well as the UK. Over the years we tried all sorts of combinations, but a local call package plus a calling card (we always used Hello) was always the best value.

Actually the best value was using my work paid mobile for the local call and then the calling card, but appreciate not everyone has that option.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Red face Re: telstra for overseas calls

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Check out the Skype out option.
If you don't know about it(?) it's NOT like Skype on the computer.... you take out a subscription - $6.99 for the UK (or one country) or $9.99 for the whole of Europe.
You then ensure your home phone plan has free local calls.
With your Skype subscription you get a local number to call. Call the local number and you are instantly connected to the UK and for only $6.99 per month unlimited.
This is a great package if you are out in the car, at the beach etc etc and you want to phone 'home', simply call the local number and hey presto!
I often call Mum and Dad on the commute home, makes the journey better and frees up time at home.

More info.......https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1...criptions-work

Cheers
i dont have free local calls so not really good i think,i did have my payg sim on mobile which had been 39.99 per month for unlimited oz calls but not anything for uk calls this was extra.i had also 4gb of internet.this was handy when i had no phone or net set up not only that i had this with skype so allowed me to to make them free calls.
but to reduce costs im now on a flexi on my sim which only give me 500mb of net and 19.99 of credit and i find i still never used it all.
so i was saving 20 on my mobile plan and the i think 5 per month skype calls so 25 less a month.
i had considered getting the 39.99 deal again and joining skype but had been thinking this be like 25 per month more and thought the telstra thing would be good.
but i suppose it would be restricted to the home phone vs i could have used the skype thing on the go.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 1:08 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
i dont have free local calls so not really good i think,i did have my payg sim on mobile which had been 39.99 per month for unlimited oz calls but not anything for uk calls this was extra.i had also 4gb of internet.this was handy when i had no phone or net set up not only that i had this with skype so allowed me to to make them free calls.
but to reduce costs im now on a flexi on my sim which only give me 500mb of net and 19.99 of credit and i find i still never used it all.
so i was saving 20 on my mobile plan and the i think 5 per month skype calls so 25 less a month.
i had considered getting the 39.99 deal again and joining skype but had been thinking this be like 25 per month more and thought the telstra thing would be good.
but i suppose it would be restricted to the home phone vs i could have used the skype thing on the go.
I use my mobile to call the UK - never seems that expensive and I never use all the credit either. But I don't make too many calls to the UK either
Old Dec 4th 2013, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I use my mobile to call the UK - never seems that expensive and I never use all the credit either. But I don't make too many calls to the UK either
Same here, I use 'Amaysim' pre-paid with automatic top up when balance falls below $2. No contract, no fuss and 15c per minute to UK.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 2:26 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
Same here, I use 'Amaysim' pre-paid with automatic top up when balance falls below $2. No contract, no fuss and 15c per minute to UK.
Just checked with mine. Whilst Virgin Mobile is also 15c per min to the UK on prepaid, Telstra is ...... $2.49 + 39c 'connection fee' .

Guess who's not calling the UK on Christmas day with Telstra !

So if you are stuck with Telstra, it's well worth finding an alternative route (SIP, Viber, Skype, etc.)
Old Dec 4th 2013, 3:34 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Just checked with mine. Whilst Virgin Mobile is also 15c per min to the UK on prepaid, Telstra is ...... $2.49 + 39c 'connection fee' .

Guess who's not calling the UK on Christmas day with Telstra !

So if you are stuck with Telstra, it's well worth finding an alternative route (SIP, Viber, Skype, etc.)
I have a Telstra mobile, and I definitely don't pay that much to call UK. A 20 / 30 min call to my daughter usually costs me somewhere around $1.50 - $2.00. Maybe it depends what plan you are on.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

ahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura aboutahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura aboutahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura about

If you are making calls to specific countries then TPG has a good offer. $79.99 unlimited calls to selected countries and unlimited internet with adsl 2+. There is another offer for $89.99 which has more countries included to it.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

I use Skype to Go. I have a $3.99 subscription for landline numbers in the UK. I can phone from my mobile phone using the inclusive minutes - very handy when waiting pitch/poolside I can phone family in the UK for a chat.

My dad doesn't like Facetime and prefers to chat on the phone.