Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Telling the news to the family

Telling the news to the family

Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Simoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to all
Smile Telling the news to the family

Hi everyone,

Got our Visa last week and told My Dad and Nan last Sunday, I expected it to be hard as I have always been so close to them, but it was horrible they were absolutly gutted , they understand why we want to do this but just don't want us to go. Well I felt very low on my journy home that night and hit McDonalds to make it all better.

So if anyone's got any advice on what to tell them to make them feel better about the news I would love to hear it.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:05 pm

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Telling the news to the family

Originally Posted by Simoned1
Hi everyone,

Got our Visa last week and told My Dad and Nan last Sunday, I expected it to be hard as I have always been so close to them, but it was horrible they were absolutly gutted , they understand why we want to do this but just don't want us to go. Well I felt very low on my journy home that night and hit McDonalds to make it all better.

So if anyone's got any advice on what to tell them to make them feel better about the news I would love to hear it.

Know what you mean. Got our passports today with visas in and my mum and dad put on a brave face. I know they don't want us to go but they also know and understand why we want to do it. I keep catching them looking at our children and I just know that they are savouring their time with them. Good thing is I know they will come and see us. I just hope we can get them to emigrate too. I am very close to them and I just can't think about the day we go because it is too hard. Bubbling up just writing this. You have got my sympathy.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Simoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Telling the news to the family

Thanks Shelley

Family they spend most of their time driving you crazy and then the minute ther not gonna be around you miss them like mad. It must be harder for you as we don't have any children yet, although my Dad did say how gutted he is that when we do he won't know them that well.

What part of Aug are you going to & when?
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:51 pm
G'day Sport

Rick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Telling the news to the family

Thanks Shelley

Family they spend most of their time driving you crazy and then the minute ther not gonna be around you miss them like mad. It must be harder for you as we don't have any children yet, although my Dad did say how gutted he is that when we do he won't know them that well.

What part of Aug are you going to & when?
you just have to tell them that you're only a day away and that for a holiday they only have to pay for flights. Thats what my other halfs uncle said when he emmigrated 16 years ago and he's seen quite alot of his.
As we're only just starting the process not got to that point yet but we've told people what we plan to do and they seem to be behind us.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:58 pm
Merlot

Got this to come going back to Oz.

It has always been on the cards, us being temporary in the UK but the thought has set me off crying again.

Hugs
M

Old Jul 14th 2005, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Hi everyone,

We told ours when we applied to give them all time to get used to the idea. It was hard at first and some (Gran and Uncle) are still refusing to talk about it, saying we are so selfish leaving them (they live 250 miles away and see them once a year!). It does get easier and we have now found that most of them are now talking about their free holidays!!

On a more seriuos note...surely your family are more upset that you are eating McDonalds cr*p
Old Jul 14th 2005, 8:13 pm

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Telling the news to the family

We hope to be off to the Sunshine Coast as soon as the house is sold. We have not had much interest in it since it went on the market in February. Will be going out to validate in October if we haven't got a buyer by Sept.

Parents do come round but it does take time. Hubby's parents were very supportive throughout and so were his sisters. Now they cry when we talk about it. My mum and dad have come round now though, although I know it is still very very hard for them.

Shelley
Old Jul 14th 2005, 8:49 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

We told both our families and our close friends as soon as we decided to apply, as we thought the more time they had to get used to the idea the better.
Had an awful reaction from my mom, she even made my two little girls feel really bad and guilty, now however she drives me mad telling me almost daily about things we have to look forward to when we finally get there. The rest of my family have been great, even my sister who I am extremely close to.
Husbands whole family have been very supportive, although we know they are upset, they understand our reasons for going.

To lessen the guilt I have been saying to everyone "think of the free holidays, you only have to find your airfare", just hope they don't all want to come and stay at the same time !!
Carole
Old Jul 14th 2005, 8:51 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Hiya I have gone through similar stuff already and we are very early in the process, i wrote this thread a short while ago.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...20#post2485320

The only thing i can say is that this is actualy a selfish thing to do by moving to the other side of the globe but you know what thats the way it has to be! this has to be for you because if you stay behind for the family then nothing will ever happen in your life. we could say well ill just wait until the folks are gone then ill go but even if that did happen it would be something else the next time. You go for it, grab this opportunity with both hands and enjoy the chance of potentialy fantastic change to your lifestyle. GOOD LUCK!!

Nev.