Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tell me the truth - how humid is Brisbane

Tell me the truth - how humid is Brisbane

Old May 22nd 2006, 3:27 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Pam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the rough
Default Tell me the truth - how humid is Brisbane

Hi, just wondered if somone who has been in Brisbane for a whole summer could enlighten me as to how hot and humid its gets? Is it as bad as Singapore (which although beautiful, I found unbearable!)

We'd find out for ourselves, except we've already spent all our dough on a reccie to Melbourne and Perth, but have now decided that perhaps we should have considered Brisbane??
Old May 22nd 2006, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me the truth - how humid is Brisbane

Originally Posted by Pam
Hi, just wondered if somone who has been in Brisbane for a whole summer could enlighten me as to how hot and humid its gets? Is it as bad as Singapore (which although beautiful, I found unbearable!)

We'd find out for ourselves, except we've already spent all our dough on a reccie to Melbourne and Perth, but have now decided that perhaps we should have considered Brisbane??
You'll find the humidy percentages for Australia cities here

Obviously these are averages. When the Oz peeps wake up someone will be able to tell you their views.
Old May 22nd 2006, 3:34 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tell me the truth - how humid is Brisbane

Originally Posted by Pam

Out of interest, what did you find wrong with Melbourne and Perth (if anything) that made you consider Brisbane too?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old May 22nd 2006, 3:43 pm
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pam

Ive never spent a summer in Brisbane but would seriously doubt the humidity could be anywhere near that of singapore ( possibly the worst I have experienced).
When I travelled aus a couple of years ago - we had just visited Bangkok for a couple of weeks. Aus felt considerably cooler - more than bearable.
Old May 22nd 2006, 3:48 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Pam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Out of interest, what did you find wrong with Melbourne and Perth (if anything) that made you consider Brisbane too?

Cheers

Buzzy
Well, Melbourne seemed quite sort of cosmopolitan. Although the city is fantastic, we have a young family, so we're really going for the lifestyle thing - you know, sun, beach, outdoor life, barbies etc... Anyway, didn't really get that feel in Melbourne, so we headed off to Perth. Well, Perth is lovely! We liked everything about it - weather, people, beaches, houses.. but - it just seems so remote.
We started to think that when we had had enough of Perth, and wanted a holiday - where could we go? We would have to either fly somewhere or drive for days!!
Anyway, we haven't actaully decided against Perth, but lets just say we're broadening our options!
Old May 22nd 2006, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Daka is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an interesting one - we visited Adelaide, Melbourne and Gold Coast this Easter.
Found the same as you regarding Melbourne, great if you like the city life but beaches etc. didn't seem up to much, plus the weather was lousy. Perth we have never seriously considered, because of it's remoteness. Adelaide was prettier than Melbourne we liked some of the residential areas and coastal areas, but again we experienced poor weather which I admit has tainted our view.
We only added the Gold Coast/Brisbane on to our itinary at the last minute and we're really glad we did. The whole area really impressed me. You probably wouldn't want to live in the middle of Sufers but it's great to have such places on your doorstep. My kids are only young at the moment, but there seems plenty there for all ages. As for the weather, we found it great at Easter 28 degrees and still very much beach weather. From what I've read I think the winter is generally mild and certainly several degrees warmer than Melbourne etc.
So my thoughts are that I am willing to put up with a few months of high humidity/heat if the rest of the year is generally good. Plus you do aclimatise over time.
Only problem I have is that I now what to visit the Sunshine Coast as that sounds great too...
Old May 22nd 2006, 4:24 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Daka
This is an interesting one - we visited Adelaide, Melbourne and Gold Coast this Easter.
Found the same as you regarding Melbourne, great if you like the city life but beaches etc. didn't seem up to much, plus the weather was lousy. Perth we have never seriously considered, because of it's remoteness. Adelaide was prettier than Melbourne we liked some of the residential areas and coastal areas, but again we experienced poor weather which I admit has tainted our view.
We only added the Gold Coast/Brisbane on to our itinary at the last minute and we're really glad we did. The whole area really impressed me. You probably wouldn't want to live in the middle of Sufers but it's great to have such places on your doorstep. My kids are only young at the moment, but there seems plenty there for all ages. As for the weather, we found it great at Easter 28 degrees and still very much beach weather. From what I've read I think the winter is generally mild and certainly several degrees warmer than Melbourne etc.
So my thoughts are that I am willing to put up with a few months of high humidity/heat if the rest of the year is generally good. Plus you do aclimatise over time.
Only problem I have is that I now what to visit the Sunshine Coast as that sounds great too...
Did anywhere particular on the GC/Brisbane take your fancy? How old are your kids - I am a 9 year old and a 5 year old - (girl and boy), and they are both outdoor types - so I'm sure anywhere in Oz would suit, but selfishly I want to be near everything!!
Old May 22nd 2006, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Daka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pam
Did anywhere particular on the GC/Brisbane take your fancy? How old are your kids - I am a 9 year old and a 5 year old - (girl and boy), and they are both outdoor types - so I'm sure anywhere in Oz would suit, but selfishly I want to be near everything!!
My kids are a boy 4 (a real beach bum) and a girl 6. We lived in California for 4yrs and really miss the outdoor lifestyle and space we had there. I forget the names of places without looking at a map but there were areas about 15-20 minutes inland that we really liked. Very green and probably a bit cooler in the summer. But I've also read that the Sunshine Coast is great, a quieter version of the Gold Coast -so I'm keen to go there now to explore.
Old May 22nd 2006, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

I spent three months in Brisbane from September to december. It is humid but it is hard to say how you will manage as everyone is different.
I actually like the humidity. In a lot of parts of Oz the heat is in the sun, so when the sun goes down it becomes quite cool. I love the fact that it's warm all day and night in Brissie - you never need a jacket!
That said, it can be quite draining during the day when the sun and humidity combine. Think that's why the pace of life seems slower! But it you have a house/place of work with air con, it's not really a problem.
I haven't been to Singapore so can't compare, but I do think you can quickly acclimatise to the humidity. The really l humid months don't last too long, and the weather is certainly better than most other places in the winter.
One thing I didn't like was the frequency of thunderstorms. For a couple of weeks we seemed to have them every night - they start about 4 or 5pm and last for a few hours, and are a real pain if you want to be out and about in the evening. Also, I wasn't a fan of the dark nights. I don't think it ever stays light beyond 7pm.

If you want the beach lifestyle, then the Gold and Sunshine Coasts will probably suit you. A very relaxed pace of life and great beaches.
Looks like I'm going to have to go to Melbourne due to sponsorship but if and when we ever get PR then we definitely intend to head up that way.
Old May 22nd 2006, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

martynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pam

We were out there in Feb and March and although the weather was lousy as there was a persistent storm in the Coral Sea, it was still warm. Didn't really feel like it was oppresively humid, just nice and warm..........all the time !

Sunshine Coast was fantastic too !
Old May 22nd 2006, 8:06 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We have found only really really humid for 2 weeks Jan/Feb and humid but not as bad for a month either side of that.

Was liveable though and not enough to stop you living here just wear less clothes... as for thunder storms as long as you don't get hit I like them.
Old May 22nd 2006, 9:28 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

It's not even close to Singapore's humidity, as Ann & Debrah said most people only find it a drain for a couple of months a year & those are the months when everything slows down.
Old May 22nd 2006, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pam
Well, Melbourne seemed quite sort of cosmopolitan.
Making comments like that makes people think you're a 'nasty person' and wars have started over less.

lol

BAdge
Old May 22nd 2006, 11:11 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

And in the winter it feels very dry, compared to the warmer months. My skin is like flaky pastry at the minute. Bring back the humidity, I say.

Oh, and this summer we hardly had any rain, let alone thunderstorms. Hopefully normal service will be resumed next summer, but that's what we thought last year. Only two power cuts, though.

Jane
Old May 22nd 2006, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
And in the winter it feels very dry, compared to the warmer months. My skin is like flaky pastry at the minute. Bring back the humidity, I say.

Jane

Yes, this is the problem - you feel yourself drying out - literally! A water spray bottle (the one you use for gardening) with a fine mister on it is worth getting and you can freshen up when you like.
Humidity in Bris never got as bad as Singapore, EVER. Singapore was stifling, but Bris was more more managable.

Robina is a very nice place if you're looking up there. Close to the bigger beach places, like Surfers, but small enough to be a good community.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.