Exclamation Telivision any one..

Wanting to buy a new tele for my living, couple of things in mind:
1. Technolgoy
2. from where - good bargains.
any brains can feed my thoughts plz.
Thanks.
Old May 21st 2010, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

cornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Telivision any one..

I would avoid "the good guys" as i have had several issues with them,went to buy a samsung 32" lcd for the spare room.it was up for $799,seen it much cheaper in myer $589.the sales troll at good guys would only go down to $700(told me the tv at myer must be a different model,it wasnt)and we were looking at buying a new frost free freezer as well,also looking at a blu ray dvd and hd recorder and the cheapest quote the good guys would do for the blu ray was $140 more than dick smith had advertised on their shelves.
walked out of there and into myer for my tv.
try wow or dick smith.
steer clear of the good guys.
Old May 21st 2010, 12:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cornishexpat
I would avoid "the good guys" as i have had several issues with them,went to buy a samsung 32" lcd for the spare room.it was up for $799,seen it much cheaper in myer $589.the sales troll at good guys would only go down to $700(told me the tv at myer must be a different model,it wasnt)and we were looking at buying a new frost free freezer as well,also looking at a blu ray dvd and hd recorder and the cheapest quote the good guys would do for the blu ray was $140 more than dick smith had advertised on their shelves.
try wow or dick smith.
I've had good dealings with The Good Guys - and always found them to be prepared to price match, especially you you have a brochure or flyer to prove a price.

In your case you did the right thing.
Old May 21st 2010, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Mamoo will become famous soon enoughMamoo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cornishexpat
try wow or dick smith.
ok sounds like Good Guys are out.. which branch you had that experience.
Any suggestion on the type of Telly - LCD preferably and place can get bargain
Old May 21st 2010, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't go to Rick Hart or Clive Peters. They are in administration and while they are still trading who knows what the situation would be with warranty/replacement if it failed ? The manufacturer would be duty-bound to sort it out in the end but who wants the hassle ?

p.s. Avoid Dick Smith also. Jb Hi-Fi can have good prices though

p.p.s. Beware the 'oh you'll need this $100 HDMI cable as well of course - it makes the picture better". Utter bollocks - the picture with either work with HDMI or it won't to simplify it and a $20 cable is good enough for short distances.

Last edited by hoofie2002; May 21st 2010 at 2:45 am.
Old May 21st 2010, 2:43 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mamoo
ok sounds like Good Guys are out.. which branch you had that experience.
Any suggestion on the type of Telly - LCD preferably and place can get bargain
I've had rubbish service from The Good Guys at Loganholme, especially their attitude at taking faulty stuff back ... will avoid from here on.

We bought a 32" Sanyo LCD for $600 a while ago, I think it's great but I'm not fussy ... the salesman tried to flog me a more 'prestigeous' brand but I was having none of it.

ALSO, don't pay more than about $15 for a HDMI cable if you need one ... digital is digital, it either works or it doesn't.

(edit) I wouldn't touch an 'extended warranty' either, they are total cons ... it will fail quickly or take an age in my experience.
Old May 21st 2010, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

cornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the rough

I also had all of my drama at the loganholme branch
Old May 21st 2010, 3:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I wouldn't touch an 'extended warranty' either, they are total cons ... it will fail quickly or take an age in my experience.
Agree, they are pushed by the salesperson as they make a commission on it. If a product fails outside of it's warranty and you can't fix it yourself then I reckon it's batter to buy a new one.
Old May 21st 2010, 3:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by DeadVim
ALSO, don't pay more than about $15 for a HDMI cable if you need one ... digital is digital, it either works or it doesn't.
I agree with you - mostly. I am an electrical person and I've been doing a bit of reading about HDMI. I think that for short distances - say up to 5m max then quality/cost is not an issue. Over that distance then I think quality does come into the equation. In any electrical installation - be it a few mV or 400kV - cables (especially where cables are joined or connect to something) are the weakest link. Bad connections cause reistance, heat, signal loss, errors etc. Also, as digital media gets more sophisticated, more bandwidth is going to be 'pushed' down HDMI cables and quality is going to become an issue. So:

Over short distances, cheap cables with good contacts are fine.
Over longer distances, cheap cables could be an issue.

If I was installing HDMI cables in a wall I would go for higher quality cables.
Old May 21st 2010, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Agree, they are pushed by the salesperson as they make a commission on it. If a product fails outside of it's warranty and you can't fix it yourself then I reckon it's batter to buy a new one.
I always thought the same as well. I've been doing a lot of research on the subject of TV's over the last 4 weeks, as I get ready to buy one for the world cup. People on independent forums like Whirlpool and DTV (Digital Television) seem to agree that Warranty for a Large Screen TV is a must. I'm still not getting a warranty as I want a Play TV from the Goodguys as a trade off.

After all of this research, I've come down to Two places of purchase for either a 50 inch Panasonic with the 250gig PS3 Play TV bundle or Sony 55 inch LCD. with the PS3 Play TV... I have a price quoted of 2100 Aud from the Goodguys for the Panasonic TH P50U20A which is the next model up after the G10... so I know thats dirt cheap as in comparing in places Like Dick Smith and Clive Peters no one has been able to match it.. I also have a price on print out from Digital TV in Keilor of Aud 2365 for the Sony 55inch 500EX plus 5 years warranty.... I'm orf to the Local Goodguys either later Today or Tomorrow and going to try and grab the Sony for sub Aud 2400 with Play TV and redeem the giveaway PS3. I will be playing the Good Guys off directly with JB HIFI who are in the same complex. Will be paying by Direct Debit Eftpos so Cash sale.

Goodguys are independently owned so sounds like there is a vast difference in the way the Stores operate, as they have been the only ones to give me a firm cheap price over the phone so far.

I'm also posting this to see if anyone can come up with a cheaper price before I take off up to the Shopping center

Looks like I'm just about "sorted" for the World Cup

BTW I had a ceiling price of 2000 bucks.... funny how things get Stretched eh.... Although I'm pleased I've managed to get passed LG and Samsung ...
Old May 21st 2010, 3:25 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I agree with you - mostly. I am an electrical person and I've been doing a bit of reading about HDMI. I think that for short distances - say up to 5m max then quality/cost is not an issue. Over that distance then I think quality does come into the equation. In any electrical installation - be it a few mV or 400kV - cables (especially where cables are joined or connect to something) are the weakest link. Bad connections cause reistance, heat, signal loss, errors etc. Also, as digital media gets more sophisticated, more bandwidth is going to be 'pushed' down HDMI cables and quality is going to become an issue. So:

Over short distances, cheap cables with good contacts are fine.
Over longer distances, cheap cables could be an issue.

If I was installing HDMI cables in a wall I would go for higher quality cables.
Fair advice ... if you're spending a shedload on a big install then maybe $15 cables are false economy

My only cable needs to be 2ft, tops.
Old May 21st 2010, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mamoo
Wanting to buy a new tele for my living, couple of things in mind:
1. Technolgoy
2. from where - good bargains.
any brains can feed my thoughts plz.
Thanks.
Research which model etc you want and then if you're a Union member, get Union Shopper to find you the best price. They've always gotten us the best deal we can find.
Old May 21st 2010, 4:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I always thought the same as well. I've been doing a lot of research on the subject of TV's over the last 4 weeks, as I get ready to buy one for the world cup. People on independent forums like Whirlpool and DTV (Digital Television) seem to agree that Warranty for a Large Screen TV is a must. I'm still not getting a warranty as I want a Play TV from the Goodguys as a trade off.

After all of this research, I've come down to Two places of purchase for either a 50 inch Panasonic with the 250gig PS3 Play TV bundle or Sony 55 inch LCD. with the PS3 Play TV... I have a price quoted of 2100 Aud from the Goodguys for the Panasonic TH P50U20A which is the next model up after the G10... so I know thats dirt cheap as in comparing in places Like Dick Smith and Clive Peters no one has been able to match it.. I also have a price on print out from Digital TV in Keilor of Aud 2365 for the Sony 55inch 500EX plus 5 years warranty.... I'm orf to the Local Goodguys either later Today or Tomorrow and going to try and grab the Sony for sub Aud 2400 with Play TV and redeem the giveaway PS3. I will be playing the Good Guys off directly with JB HIFI who are in the same complex. Will be paying by Direct Debit Eftpos so Cash sale.

Goodguys are independently owned so sounds like there is a vast difference in the way the Stores operate, as they have been the only ones to give me a firm cheap price over the phone so far.

I'm also posting this to see if anyone can come up with a cheaper price before I take off up to the Shopping center

Looks like I'm just about "sorted" for the World Cup

BTW I had a ceiling price of 2000 bucks.... funny how things get Stretched eh.... Although I'm pleased I've managed to get passed LG and Samsung ...
Sounds good and I hope you get what you want. Prices for the latest TVs, compared to even a year, ago are insanely low. I'm sure the falling AUD will have an impact in the near future but I reckon it won't be much.
Old May 21st 2010, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Research which model etc you want and then if you're a Union member, get Union Shopper to find you the best price. They've always gotten us the best deal we can find.
3 day registration wait dammit, I've joined up just in case. Not heard of it before, so thanks.

Looks like I may have to wait till next weekend.
Old May 21st 2010, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Shot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really nice

anyone looked into the LED TV's ?
my folks have a 46" samsung Led and it kills LCD
not sure how much they cost over there, might bring one from here, costco do them for around £1100 + vat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.