Televisions

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 10:50 am
Just Joined

trotterclan is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Televisions

We do not have a multi system TV/home entertainment system, could someone please let us know what system Australia works on, i.e. is it PAL the same as in America? If it is, does that mean we have to sell our TV etc?
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:37 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Televisions

Originally Posted by trotterclan
We do not have a multi system TV/home entertainment system, could someone please let us know what system Australia works on, i.e. is it PAL the same as in America? If it is, does that mean we have to sell our TV etc?
PAL, though moving quickly to digital DTV, though the frequencies are different, so you may not be able to either see a picture, or have sound without twiking it www.jaycar.com.au/images_uploaded/austtv.pdf. I am a little confused as to the system that your tv format is, so I assume by your post that you have NTSC system www.high-techproductions.com/ntsc.htm, which is used in the USA not Europe? Do a search on the subject as there are numerous threads and posts over the years. Tv's are not that expensive here.

Last edited by The Bloke; Aug 2nd 2008 at 11:44 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

trotterclan is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Televisions

Our TV is UK/Europe and I know we cannot play PAL DVD's (American) because we have tried, so I presume you are on the same/similar region as the US?
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Our TV is UK/Europe and I know we cannot play PAL DVD's (American) because we have tried, so I presume you are on the same/similar region as the US?
Amercian DVD's are region encoded (region 1) and output an NTSC image. this is why your UK TV will not display it.
But saying that, for it not to display NTSC it must be pretty old. Most TV's will show both formats.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of

Your TV will be PAL, which is the same as Australia, but the audio is different in Oz. If your TV is relatively new and you have the option of changing the country in the set up menu of your TV, you can change it to Spain or Holland (I think) and your TV sound will work in OZ. If not you will get a picture but no sound.

We brought our Sony 40" LCD with us but it is a UK version with no option to change country settings, but we just bought an HD set top box in OZ and plugged it in and it work's perfectly through the HDMI cable.

Bobby
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

leave_n_on_a_Jet is an unknown quantity at this point

Pal

everything i bought from the uk works fine (tv, dvd, car 2din gps dvd tv. sd digital box Sky sat box(if you remove the hard drive and put it in a Foxtel box some of the recorded programs will work).

can also use my 3 phone for free in oz to call the uk £60 for a year on contract with 500 minutes free calls 100 texts.

James
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

mordechaivanunu is an unknown quantity at this point

James
Tell us more about the mobile thing!!!
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

My Missus is on a 3 UK mobile contract.
15 pound a month and she gets 600 texts and 70 mins talk time

Even though we are in Aus, if she texts or calls a uk landline / Mobile it comes off her monthly balance = Free.

If she calls an Aus number then she pays International call rate

Stu
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

leave_n_on_a_Jet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mordechaivanunu
James
Tell us more about the mobile thing!!!
its all on their web site www.three.co.uk

as long as you make calls in oz or europe etc in a three area it comes off your free minutes etc.

if you both have aq 3 phone here its free minute calls to each other

as long as you see 3 or 3g on the mobile its free minute calls

i got a sim only deal which was £60 for 12 months eg 10months free and pay for the last 2

i bought a uk three-skype phone for £50 on pay as you go and use that here, it has MSN Skype (free calls to other skype users) BBC news the Sun news paper website, it has loads of free content and UK tv package for £5 a month
its good for watching on the train etc but crap if you were at home.

James
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Televisions

I have been told by Samsung that my LCD sound will not work and would probably cost around £600 to replace various parts inside the TV, motherboards etc.
Anyone got any more positive info??!! I was hoping to take it as it's fairly new but will still lose a lot by selling it and buying again in oz.....
Thanks
Helen
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Helen Randle
I have been told by Samsung that my LCD sound will not work and would probably cost around £600 to replace various parts inside the TV, motherboards etc.
Anyone got any more positive info??!! I was hoping to take it as it's fairly new but will still lose a lot by selling it and buying again in oz.....
Thanks
Helen
Like I said in my previous post, just plug a Freeview Set Top Box in to the TV and it will work fine.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, thought i'd check as the samsung man was very adamant nothing else could be done! Forgive me but what is the HDMI cable, do I need to change settings on TV?
Thanks, Helen
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Randle
Ok, thought i'd check as the samsung man was very adamant nothing else could be done! Forgive me but what is the HDMI cable, do I need to change settings on TV?
Thanks, Helen
OZ works on the German system.A modern TV should have different country settings,check your handbook.

The S/sung guy is talking crap.The tuner section of the TV is different.Connect an OZ set top box,that has an OZ tuner built in (obviously) through the RCA (yellow/white /red) cables,or the super video cable,or the HDMI input (high definition multiple interface if I remember corectly).

The tuner section of the set top box(or DVD recorder or VCR) will then pick up all channels the same as a DVD recorder etc in the UK.To see them select whatever you connect it up to.RCA cables will be A/V 1,2 or 3.SVHS will be super 1 or 2 in, and HDMI will be HDMI input 1,2 or3 .The TV could also have PBY inputs but they seem dead and gone now,HDMI being the standard until they come up with something else.

Audio out to home theatre will be RCA or S/PDIF to a digital amp.SCART is not common here.

If it looks complicated it isn't.Whatever you have in the UK (VCR,DVD recorder etc ) replace it with an OZ one and everything will work the same.

Set top box $40 to $200.

DVD recorder $100 to $250

VCR $90.

First two you can also buy with HDD recording for slightly more $$

Blu ray DVD recorder with HDD around $800 to 1K
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

OZ works on the german system.PAL,(phase alternated linear)

USA works on NTSC (never twice the same colour),shit system.Actually it's National television standards compliance (corporation?,I forget)

Decent 42 inch plasma in OZ $1000-1500.

Universal (non regional) DVD player (a cheap K-mart special) $40-50.

Things were so much easier when I was a kid and fixed TV's as a hobby.Turned on the 17 inch murphy,waited 2 years for the valves and everything to get hot enough to cook pizza,then up came a small 405 line definition black and white grainy picture.That lasted all of 5 mins before the TV conked out .Wait two years for it to cool down so I could fix it ,and repeat

Ah the good old days.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:54 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by geordie downunder

Ah the good old days.
I know you need a bloody degree in electronics to even switch anything on these days. Why make everything so complicated! Just because the techology is available it doesn't need to be included in everything.

It's like washing machines - you have 16 programs but only use 3 so what is the point, just more to go wrong and more expensive to fix.

Cars - you used to be able to change bulbs now you have to replace whole light units.

The world has gone mad, mad, mad!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.