Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Telephone wiring

Telephone wiring

Old Apr 21st 2006, 3:04 am
Staying in BoxHill

chessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to all
Default Telephone wiring

I am trying to change what is a 610 connector socket to a standard rj11 sconnectore ocket however I cannot find anybody who can tell me what pins the 2 wires (blue and white) go to. You ask in shops and the assistants seem to grunt and try to flog you the converter which is not what I am after.

I have even tried to go to the bookshops and try to get a DIY manual however the Collins manual here are all british which obviously is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Any assitance would be appreciated.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 7:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telephone wiring

Originally Posted by chessp
I am trying to change what is a 610 connector socket to a standard rj11 sconnectore ocket however I cannot find anybody who can tell me what pins the 2 wires (blue and white) go to. You ask in shops and the assistants seem to grunt and try to flog you the converter which is not what I am after.

I have even tried to go to the bookshops and try to get a DIY manual however the Collins manual here are all british which obviously is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Any assitance would be appreciated.
Just spoke to the hubby and he says they go into 4 and 5 but can't quite remember which goes on which.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 11:11 am
Staying in BoxHill

chessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Just spoke to the hubby and he says they go into 4 and 5 but can't quite remember which goes on which.
Thanks for this. I will try it out later tomorrow. I just cannot believe that it is so difficult to get hold of this information.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 11:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chessp
Thanks for this. I will try it out later tomorrow. I just cannot believe that it is so difficult to get hold of this information.
Sort of thing he likes fiddling with I think he must have tried every variation over the space of a morning I think they keep it secret because they don't want any old tom dick or harry finding out that it is actually quite straightforward
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

if you are changing your 610 socket to RJ11, you use the RJ45 socket, i can recommend the Krone they are the best and the easiest to work with.

if you are installing the outlet on the skirting board then all you need is a skirt RJ45 mount outlet.

if you are installing the outlet on the plaster wall you need the same RJ45 jack. then you need a 1 gang series 2000 wall plate the RJ45 just clips into the wall plate, again if your installing on the plaster wall then you also need a plaster wall bracket.

the connections are easy as you look at the back of the outlet there are two types of connections A & B in Australia we use the A wiring.

If the blue/white wires in the existing 610 are used then simply connect the blue wire to the bottom left as you look down on the connector its actually coloured blue. then connect the white wire exactly opposite in the blue/white
terminal again its coloured.

its very easy to do as i say turn the RJ45 jack on its back and there is a colour code use the bottom two connections blue on left & white on right.

you should also use the correct punch down tool for good connections, if you dont have one then use a small terminal scrrew driver and gently push in the wires. if you get a crackling noise then the connections you make are crap, its as simple as that.

The get a phone lead with RJ11 male plugs on each end jaycar or disk smiths for the phone cable.

the RJ45 jack you can get from any electrical wholesaler, just get the one.

regards

Arthur
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 10:57 am
Staying in BoxHill

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
if you are changing your 610 socket to RJ11, you use the RJ45 socket, i can recommend the Krone they are the best and the easiest to work with.

if you are installing the outlet on the skirting board then all you need is a skirt RJ45 mount outlet.

if you are installing the outlet on the plaster wall you need the same RJ45 jack. then you need a 1 gang series 2000 wall plate the RJ45 just clips into the wall plate, again if your installing on the plaster wall then you also need a plaster wall bracket.

the connections are easy as you look at the back of the outlet there are two types of connections A & B in Australia we use the A wiring.

If the blue/white wires in the existing 610 are used then simply connect the blue wire to the bottom left as you look down on the connector its actually coloured blue. then connect the white wire exactly opposite in the blue/white
terminal again its coloured.

its very easy to do as i say turn the RJ45 jack on its back and there is a colour code use the bottom two connections blue on left & white on right.

you should also use the correct punch down tool for good connections, if you dont have one then use a small terminal scrrew driver and gently push in the wires. if you get a crackling noise then the connections you make are crap, its as simple as that.

The get a phone lead with RJ11 male plugs on each end jaycar or disk smiths for the phone cable.

the RJ45 jack you can get from any electrical wholesaler, just get the one.

regards

Arthur
Thanks very much for this. I must have got the RJ45 and RJ11 terminology confused.