Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Telephone - TV - Broadband in Secret Harbour

Telephone - TV - Broadband in Secret Harbour

Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:57 am
Whey hey got my Visa

allankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to all
Default Telephone - TV - Broadband in Secret Harbour

Hi guys

I'm having a house built in Secret Harbour (currently at roof level) and I wanted to know which providers any of you other SH residents are using for Telephone - TV - Broadband, and do I even have a choice?

Also would anyone know if it's best to get the ground work for any of these services in place before the house is finished.

Many Thanks

Allan
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:58 pm
Whey hey got my Visa

allankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to all
Default Re: Telephone - TV - Broadband in Secret Harbour

for the benefit of those just signing on in Oz ...bump
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:19 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it called SECRET HARBOUR when a lot of people KNOW where it is
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:39 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

TV is free.

You need to get the telephone connected and would be best to try and get this done before you landscape so they dont have to dig it up again.

You could go with any ISP of your choosing. (except for Telstra BigPOO... just dont, you will regret it later.)

www.whirlpool.net.au
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:56 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allankate
for the benefit of those just signing on in Oz ...bump
Optus have just 'lost' Secret Harbour. So if you want Broadband at a new property, they can't provide any new connections.

There is cable TV that's available to every house (certain parts of SH aren't allowed roof ariels) however (as everything!) this attracts a $300+ connection fee to the service. Foxtel is fine.

We've just built and as long as everything is in place within your property, everything else can be connected from the road side up to your house with no issues.

Good luck! Where abouts is your house? When are you coming over?

Jules x
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:58 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Why is it called SECRET HARBOUR when a lot of people KNOW where it is
No - the Secret is.............. there's NO HARBOUR
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:09 am
Whey hey got my Visa

Originally Posted by julesandco
No - the Secret is.............. there's NO HARBOUR
That one tickled me so true...

Anyway thanks for the advice.

However who should I be contacting for the phone (Telstra?) and cable TV connection (e-wire / foxtel?).

Also who would you recommend for Internet, Big Pond doesn't seem to have many fans, as you have mentioned above Optus isn't an option and I've also read that e-wire are also a pretty poor (and their speeds don't impress me much either).

It's difficult to find details of broadband providers on-line as they all ask for a phone number, and I don't have one yet

Cheers

Allan

Oh and house due for completion around October, so we should be over Oct/Nov although selling the house here in the UK is turning out to be a bit on the slow side!

Last edited by allankate; Aug 5th 2008 at 8:13 am.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:52 am

However who should I be contacting for the phone (Telstra?) and cable TV connection (e-wire / foxtel?).

Also who would you recommend for Internet, Big Pond doesn't seem to have many fans, as you have mentioned above Optus isn't an option and I've also read that e-wire are also a pretty poor (and their speeds don't impress me much either).

It's difficult to find details of broadband providers on-line as they all ask for a phone number, and I don't have one yet

Cheers

Allan

Oh and house due for completion around October, so we should be over Oct/Nov although selling the house here in the UK is turning out to be a bit on the slow side!
Hi Allan,

Can appreciate the UK house sale side - we know people in the same position unfortunately

You need to contact e-wire direct for the TV connection. They do prefer it if Foxtel is already in before they come out so they can check it.

Whatever way you do it in terms of internet provider, you need to pay a connection fee to Telstra. We've been through all the options, believe me - running a business and needing multiple lines, and Telstra was the best option. It's a con. Telecoms are a nightmare. Everything is everyone else's problem and you will sit in a queue for days. I take back everything I ever said about BT or NTL

Speeds are pants for internet. They promise ADSL 2 and deliver ADSL Snail

you just have to pick the best of a bad bunch

Where abouts is your house (you can PM me if you like). Do you have anyone here 'on the ground?' I'll always email you a photo

Jules x
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Cheers

Allan

Hi i use exetel plan TELO link to there plans/prices

http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_new.php
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:32 am
Whey hey got my Visa

Originally Posted by billymacker
Hi i use exetel plan TELO link to there plans/prices

http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_new.php
So does that run on the back of a Telstra phone line?

Also I notice that Extel will give you $60 if you recommend a friend, if I do go with them I'll pm you so that you can give me the link and then get your $60

Cheers

Allan