Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Telephone Interview Advice

Telephone Interview Advice

Old Dec 3rd 2006, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: North East - planning to move to Southern Queensland
BillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud of
Default Telephone Interview Advice

Just heard that I have a job interview next week over the telephone. I've never done one before and am really worried about trying to pick up on signals to stop talking/say more/clarify answers etc. You just get so much information by being face to face with the person asking the questions. Oh and it's at 6am which won't help.

The job is for a Lectureship at a University - and I really want to get it.

Any advice or tips for telephone interviewing would be gratefully received.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 11:08 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Telephone Interview Advice

All the usual interview advice still applies with the phone interview. But here are a few things you could do to help.

1. Wear something really comfortable as they won't see you anyway. I wore my pajamas and was laying in bed, I was very relaxed (and got the job).

2. Have a copy of your resume handy, and anything else you might want to refer to. You can keep anything you want handy because they won't see it. I don't suggest having too much otherwise you won't find what you're looking for. Maybe a few key phrases or points that you want to mention though.

3. Make of a list of questions you would like to ask during the interview as they generally ask you at the end if you have any.

MOST IMPORTANT THING......

If you are doing an overseas interview make sure you get the time change correct. I screwed up the time change for my husband and he ended up doing the interview on about 5 hours of sleep. Not a good start.

Good luck on the interview!
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Well done on the interview.
I had my first telephone interview 4 weeks ago for a job also in a uni. It was the first one that I had had too.
It was a little odd, mostly because there were 4 of us in the interview, and if anyone made any noise everyone shut up. It is very odd not being able to see people, as you loose a lot.
I had questions written down ready to ask, and key sentenses incase I needed them.
I found it must easier being on my own in the room.
I got the job by the way.

Good luck, you will do great.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 12:20 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't do it in my PJ's... I'd put a suit on anyway. I think for me that might help mentally. Maybe.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:47 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillandAbby
Just heard that I have a job interview next week over the telephone. I've never done one before and am really worried about trying to pick up on signals to stop talking/say more/clarify answers etc. You just get so much information by being face to face with the person asking the questions. Oh and it's at 6am which won't help.

The job is for a Lectureship at a University - and I really want to get it.

Any advice or tips for telephone interviewing would be gratefully received.
It's quite hard to know when they are waiting for you to say some more and when they are just writing your answers down, so if you're not sure just ask if they want you to expand on your answer. Good luck!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

BillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone - I am sooooooooooo nervous. They just emailed me and said that they need to bring the interview forward to 4am - yikes!

Let's hope that they think that the long pauses before I answer are the telephone line, or a sign of deep thinking - and not the fact that my brain needs kick starting. I'll be getting up at 3am to brew the coffee.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BillandAbby
Thanks everyone - I am sooooooooooo nervous. They just emailed me and said that they need to bring the interview forward to 4am - yikes!

Let's hope that they think that the long pauses before I answer are the telephone line, or a sign of deep thinking - and not the fact that my brain needs kick starting. I'll be getting up at 3am to brew the coffee.

You're going to be fine! 4 am is a bit unreasonable but hey, what the heck if it means a job. We do some funny stuff when we're emigrating.
If you're being interviewed, then this is an excellent sign... You kick some ass and let us know how it goes.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
I wouldn't do it in my PJ's... I'd put a suit on anyway. I think for me that might help mentally. Maybe.
I agree- I definitely behave differently depending on what I wear.

I'm sure they will know it is 4am for you and be a little bit sensitive to it... Just make sure you get a really early night! (not !!)

Good luck!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:40 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Hey there...I had a telephone interview a few weeks ago now. Unfortunately I didn't get the job (hmm...maybe you don't need my advice??? ) but wanted to tell you that there's various place on the web that will give you advice about telephone interviews - I actually started on Expats (there's an article on it in Home).

The one bit of advice I didn't follow (as I was pushed for time) was to do a practice interview on the phone with somebody before the real thing. I was really thrown by the delay and as nervousness tends to make me ramble and nervousness + silence screams out for me to fill the gaps with blah blahs I had an awful time of it during the interview! To make it worse it was meant to be a video interview but their link failed, so they could see me but I couldn't see them! Very unnerving!

Definitely try to have a practice run of formal speaking/answering questions over the phone just to get used to the spaces and pauses! Also good for helping you clarify things in your head!

Good luck!
Old Dec 7th 2006, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. I had the interview this morning and I GOT THE JOB!!!!

I am beyond giddy, this definitely makes up for not sleeping all night and having to sound perky at 4am. I followed the advice, sat at a desk with my papers in front of me, put them on speakerphone and just tried to make sure they had finished talking before I said anything. anyway, it lasted an hour, was bizarrely quite enjoyable - and half an hour later they phoned and offered me a job.

Thanks again for all the tips,

Abby
Old Dec 7th 2006, 6:47 am
Account Closed

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC NEWS, ABBY!!!

WELL DONE! I'm so pleased it went so well, and what bliss to be told half an hour later! Fabulous!

This is the cat that got the cream.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 7:51 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the job! See, it's not as bad as you thought it was going to be, was it?
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations !

When do you start ?
Old Dec 7th 2006, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

woohooo well done!!

i had a phone interview for my place at uni and I was kacking it because I knew that if I got past that stage I'd be asked in for a face to face interview!

I did the same as people said here - had my stuff out infront of me so I had all the info to hand... and it worked as well!!

again congrats! what uni will you be working at and when d'you start?
Old Dec 7th 2006, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Abby on getting the job. Another step closer for you all.
Lynne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.