Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Telephone and aerial sockets..??

Telephone and aerial sockets..??

Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:44 am
Aussie Citizen

Location: Iz Tralia (as said by my 3-yr-old son)... and LOVING it..!!
Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all
Question Telephone and aerial sockets..??

Hi guys...

Shippers coming in 4 weeks so we're sorting our stuff. The mantra in the Rogue household is, "if in doubt, chuck it out" (cheers Jules).

So... I have a load of telephone and TV aerial extension cables. Any use in WA? Or are they totally different sockets?

Thanks in advance for your advice

See ya,
Rogue
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Telephone and aerial sockets..??

The cable from your phone to the phone point in the wall are different connections. We had to buy new phones because we could not find anything to convert them with. The tv ones are the same as the UK.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rogue Trader
Hi guys...

Shippers coming in 4 weeks so we're sorting our stuff. The mantra in the Rogue household is, "if in doubt, chuck it out" (cheers Jules).

So... I have a load of telephone and TV aerial extension cables. Any use in WA? Or are they totally different sockets?

Thanks in advance for your advice

See ya,
Rogue
the telephone sockets are different - the tv ones are the same
hth

pootle26
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

bill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of light

Can you buy adaptors for the phone sockets out there?? Or is it best to bin them,and buy new out there,cheers,Bill.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bill drinkwater
Can you buy adaptors for the phone sockets out there?? Or is it best to bin them,and buy new out there,cheers,Bill.
As of yet we have not been able to find any so have had to buy new phones.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

bill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks !
Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:04 pm
Aussie Citizen

Location: Iz Tralia (as said by my 3-yr-old son)... and LOVING it..!!
Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all

Many thanks to all... you're such a helpful bunch..!!

If anyone has found telephone socket adapters, please shout up 'cause Mrs Rogue has a talking Mickey-Mouse phone that she really really wants to take with her.

Cheers,
RT.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

If anyone has found telephone socket adapters, please shout up 'cause Mrs Rogue has a talking Mickey-Mouse phone that she really really wants to take with her.

Cheers,
RT.
just a thought - the phones here have the connection like the ones for the computer modems- small square ones (if you catch my drift) im not sure what plugs she has on her phone but maybe you could get one of those unplug the current one plug it in via the computer & do that - i have this set up at the mo although i am using an oz phone

i would bring it anyway

ttfn

pootle26
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Cheers,
RT.
Adapters are available, but the phone itself may or may not work here. Some do, some don't, has been my experience.

Old Jan 10th 2006, 2:07 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bill drinkwater
You can buy them in the UK. Try Maplins and ask for a BT -> RJ-11 converter.

I brought a couple out with me but ... er ... I didn't bring any phones
Old Jan 10th 2006, 2:09 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by wmoore

So they're available to the highest bidder?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 2:17 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
So they're available to the highest bidder?
If I can find them (bearing in mind I've moved house 3 times since I last saw them) you can have them
Old Jan 10th 2006, 2:19 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore

Buy on line: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ldID=&doy=10m1

Andrew
Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by andrew63
Surely there is some telco guy on here who can confirm this, but here's what I think.

Uk phones go through a master line jack unit which splits the incoming phone line (2 wires) into three wires. (The third wire carries the ring signal to the phone). Ozz phones have two wires straight into the phone, ie Ozz phones must have the circuitry to separate out the ring signal inside, where UK phones don't.

What I am saying is that UK phones won't work here unless you install a master LJU and plug your UK phone into that. A straight adapter from RJ11 to BT plug won't work.

I haven't seen a MLJU here, so you would need to buy one and bring it with you, but then you won't need the adapters. However, you will be breaking the law by connecting directly onto the phone line.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pootle26
just a thought - the phones here have the connection like the ones for the computer modems- small square ones (if you catch my drift) im not sure what plugs she has on her phone but maybe you could get one of those unplug the current one plug it in via the computer & do that - i have this set up at the mo although i am using an oz phone

i would bring it anyway

ttfn

pootle26
Seconded - I brought my printer/fax and wireless networking system with me and both worked with the small square ones fine but I haven't seen an adaptor for the other type (ours were already on their last legs so didn't bring those phones).
If she's a special one though why not bring it, they can be taken to an expert to fix them I'm sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.