Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Telecom Market of Australia

Telecom Market of Australia

Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Ali-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant future
Default Telecom Market of Australia

I have recently got Australian immigration and am now planning to land in australia in october. Whats the current status of telecom market of australia especially western australia? I am willing to relocate to smaller cities; and even go for some graduate role in my field although i have 8 years of experience in telecom sector.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Question Re: Telecom Market of Australia

What part of the telecom market are you in or what is your job description?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Nurse Vicky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Telecom Market of Australia

Interesting thread - we are trying to find out similar info. but on the east coast of australia. We are hoping for move over to Brisbane/Gold Coast on my visa as a nurse and my husband (until recently - redundancy) has worked in telecoms for over 10 yrs.
As Bruce67 asked what area of telecoms? My husband has been in broadcast as well as mobile data, cell planning and site acquisitions.
Cheers
Vic
Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice

Caught my attention too .. i plan to find job in mobile telecom market in Melbourne. Wide experience in operations, project support and network roll-out for GSM (2G), WCDMA (3G) Network and Service Network. Worked 15yrs for leading Service Provider in Asia and presently with World-class Mobile Vendor.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

At last some other Telecomms people, didn't think there were many of us on the forums.
A bit about myself:-

TRA as General comms person, current role as a Network engineer for VirginMedia, started as a cable tv/telco installer for Nynex in '94.
I am heading to South Australia on a 475 state sponsored, so probably Adelaide.

Johnnyyt
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Ali-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant future

Well I have experience in NOC's of PSTN and PLMN networks.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Telecom Market of Australia

Cannot be of much help to you guys as I am a lines person ie at trade level dealing with external copper networks and more recently TV/fibre and business telephone systems. Work here in WA in my field is subdued as you would expect( telecoms is always first in and first out in a recession) but we are ticking along. There are definitely more telecom people on this site just the ones you want info from don't visit as often as they are busy "living the dream".

Good luck

Bruce.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

jonhorton7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bruce..im a linesperson also in the uk at the moment..i have worked in various roles e.g faultsman/jointer, overhead operative involving the changing of telegraph poles and all associated wires and i have also worked as a d' side jointer. i am looking to move to oz.nowhere in particular as of yet but i wanted to find out if there is much work for me over there..any ideas??
Old Jul 28th 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice

Guys from Telecom should stick together and help each other out where possible.

Stay in touch.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was a lines person in the UK but hated his job so much he has had a change and is now a postie.The funny thing is he is working with someone whose Dad works for Telstra and could have helped him get a job there.It does help with who you know.I am also sure that he would have also had to do course to get an Aussie certificate before being able to work here.Sue.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

I am a mobile phone engineer here in Perth. Was a mobile phone enbgineer for Orange back in the UK for 12 years.

Job market is slow at the moment, although may I suggest that you take a look at Titan Recruitment who usually have a few jobs on line.

Most companies contract out the work, so if its unlikely that you will be working direct for them (eg Vodaphone, Optus etc), although I think that Telstra do have their own staff.

If you need any more info, just drop me a private message on here
Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Telecom Market of Australia

Originally Posted by jonhorton7
Hi Bruce..im a linesperson also in the uk at the moment..i have worked in various roles e.g faultsman/jointer, overhead operative involving the changing of telegraph poles and all associated wires and i have also worked as a d' side jointer. i am looking to move to oz.nowhere in particular as of yet but i wanted to find out if there is much work for me over there..any ideas??
Hi,
I also did almost exactly the same work as you did in the UK (except for poles). Work is quite hard to come by in your field at the moment. Telstra jobs are quite rare as most jobs are farmed out to contractors. For example south of perth is covered by Service Stream, who have the telstra contract for installs and maintenance. Service stream "take on" smaller self employed contractors and pay set fees for set types of work. So in this case you would have to set yourself up as a business be fully kitted with van and tools and ACA licence( a short course/ acreditation would be done by them to ensure you are up to scrach with jointing etc). I know quite a few guys who do this and even though things are slow they manage to get by - when the good times are around they even make quite a bit of money(by our standards).

I'm very lucky. The Co that hired me needed my skills at the time but as that work has slowed I have got into TV over fibre and am being trained in business telephone systems.

Hope this helps

Bruce.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 10:09 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep an eye on the NBN. It is a $47billion project for FTTH to every metro house in Australia. Fibre skills will be in great demand. Tasmania is about to start but the states are bickering over where the HQ should be. Post rollout retraining will be key though.