Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teenagers & Driving

Teenagers & Driving

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:34 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teenagers & Driving

Hi there

Can someone advise me how kids get on with learning to drive in Victoria? We've got an almost-15 year old, who will be 16 by the time we move over - do they have to wait until they're 17 the same as here & then have to get a provisional license?

Over here, a friend's son has just been given a 1.1 cinquecento for his 17th birthday -nothing great, quite an old little car, but fantastic for him to learn in - they're having to stump up £2500 to insure it for him! I heard that basic insurance is included inthe cost of the gas over there - is that true?

If anyone has any experiences of getting their kids driving & on the road, I would be really grateful to hear about it
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Donsthename is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teenagers & Driving

Hi Jen

We are in the UK still.
I would be really interested in any relpies to your post. I have a sixteen year old who will need to learn to drive in Oz. We also have an 18year old who passed her test last week.
We hope to be in Adelaide by the end of the year. Will the 18 yr old have to take another test?? She is currently insured as a named driver on my car beacause we cant afford the insurance on a car of her own.....even if she could afford an old banger. Whats the car insurance like there for teenagers?

Donna
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:40 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenagers & Driving

I found this today, but it covers the situation for Victoria... I suspect other states will have their own, but probably similar, way of doing things.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...rnerpermit.htm

From what I can tell, the insurance is third party so doesn't cover damage to the owner's vehicle...the cost of the basic insurance is covered in the initial car registration & literally only covers injury or death.

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au...ng-in-victoria

Getting there slowly