Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Technical it question on outlook express

Technical it question on outlook express

Old Mar 31st 2004, 10:07 am
I never gave up trying

gunnercaz is on a distinguished road
Default Technical it question on outlook express

Soz but nowt to do with immigration - Just need help on a technical issue with outlook express software.
When I recieve email's with file attachments from my dad(aol user), I do not get the file attachments and get an error message in outlook express saying "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your email".
I have a hotmail account, but have my computer set up through Outlook Express to access my hotmail account. The strange thing is I can receive the file attachments when I log onto the internet onto the MSN website hotmail address, but not rhrough Outlook Express??
It also happens when I get file attachments from other friends who do not use Microfost Outlook software??
The files are simply JPEG pictures or text files containing jokes so where is the problem? Does OE stand for 'Object Embedded'??
How can I get rond the problem?? Any help would be grateful folks!
Old Mar 31st 2004, 10:19 am
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

OE stands for Outlook Express.

Ask your father to zip the files up before sending them (get hold on WinZip from www.winzip.com if you haven't already got it). You will then need to unzip them before viewing them.

Zipping files reduces the chances of them being blocked by anti-virus/anti-spamming sofwtare and it also makes the sending and receiving quicker as the files will be smaller.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 31st 2004, 10:26 am
I never gave up trying

gunnercaz is on a distinguished road
Default cheers for help - problem fixed

Cheer for help on winzip, but my dad dad is still a learner so getting hime to zip up files, etc would be be a nightmare for him, but just discovered where the problem lies......
The Security tab in the Outlook express 'Tools' - 'Options' Menu.
In there is a tick box that is ticked to "Do not allow attachments or be saved or opened that could be potentially be a virus".
If I untick this check box I get the email attachment.
I would never open a file attacment from an unknow source so fingers crossed folks! Cheers for help and advice though.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

One thing it could be is you have OE set to not allow potentially dangerous attachments.

IF you want to turn this off, click on the Tools menu options, then click on Options. Select the security tab, and uncheck the appropriate box.

Be warned however, whilst this may allow you to receive your dads files OK, it will also allow you to receive all manner of nasty things!

NEVER EVER open an attachment from anyone not known to you, and be wary even if the sender is known to you.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 12:36 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Technical it question on outlook express

Mine does this too.....if you dont want to start mucking about with the secutiry settings.....simply click on forward in the opened e-mail and the fattached files are shown there, where they can then be saved.................scanned if u think necessary.................then opened

Easy