Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Technical Computer Question??!!

Wikiposts

Technical Computer Question??!!

Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

cul8rm8e will become famous soon enoughcul8rm8e will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Technical Computer Question??!!

Better still if you have a hotmail accountand a broadband connection you can add me to your address book and request remote assistance, or e-mail me your details and i will add you to my contacts

Originally Posted by NAC
Just a quick question which has nothing whatsovever to do with immigration or Australia Quite often my computer just seems to 'die'!. The cursor stops and doesn't seem to link up with the mouse so I am completely stuck and cant do anything. I move the mouse but nothing happens. I end up having to switch off the computer and start again. Any help for a completely computer illiterate person would be much appreciated
Carolyn
Old Apr 25th 2005, 6:17 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Technical Computer Question??!!

Originally Posted by cul8rm8e
Hi,
first thing to do is insert the windowsdisk (hopefully you have it) if not then you can still do a check butnot fix it.

OK, click start, then run, type in the box sfc /scannow and hit the enter key

between the sfc and the / leave a space

this will do a standard system file scan for any corrupt or renamed files that will keep your system from running properly, As soon as a file needs replaced you will be asked to insert the windows disk if you dont have it already in your drive.

let me know how you get on and i will help you out more if needed

best of luck
Thanks so much for the advice. I have done this and all appears to be ok. Hasn't happened again today so will see what tomorrow brings As I said before it does seem to happen not long after switching on.
Thanks again for your help.
Carolyn
Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

cul8rm8e will become famous soon enoughcul8rm8e will become famous soon enough

When you say it happens not long after you switch it on! do you go online when you switch on? if so next time try to stay offline (no connection to internet) and see how things go if its still the same its probably sill a software issue, but, also could be due to overheating ( processor fan maybe cutting off/on )

It`s quite difficuilt to determine exactly whats happening from here but hopefully you can get it sorted withought too much trouble

Originally Posted by NAC
Thanks so much for the advice. I have done this and all appears to be ok. Hasn't happened again today so will see what tomorrow brings As I said before it does seem to happen not long after switching on.
Thanks again for your help.
Carolyn
Old Apr 25th 2005, 6:30 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cul8rm8e
When you say it happens not long after you switch it on! do you go online when you switch on? if so next time try to stay offline (no connection to internet) and see how things go if its still the same its probably sill a software issue, but, also could be due to overheating ( processor fan maybe cutting off/on )

It`s quite difficuilt to determine exactly whats happening from here but hopefully you can get it sorted withought too much trouble

Well think I've solved the problem I found that my computer had not been automatically receiving updates from McAfee Security and that the virus protection was only at 50% Everything updated and fingers cross seems to be working better - and faster
Just a little embarrassed that it was something so simple Well, lets hope that's all it is and that I don't have to eat my words
Thanks everyone!
Carolyn