Teaching in WA

Old Feb 3rd 2013, 11:51 am
Just Joined

cox-flory82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in WA

Hi all,

I'm new to this, so please bear with me! We've recently had our visa approved and we're planning on making the permanent move to Australia in Dec this year/early Jan 2014, after validating the visa in July. I'm a Secondary school teacher, so I'll obviously be looking for work as soon as possible, preferably before making the move. My husband and I are planning to settle in the Perth area, but I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could help me with a few questions-it'd be much appreciated!

Ok, here goes:

How do I register to teach in WA?
What are the best job sites to look on?
Are re-location packages available?
When is the best time to apply for jobs?
Are there any careers fairs etc to network for teaching jobs held here in the UK?

Sorry there are so many questions, it's just all very daunting at the moment and we'd really appreciate the advice...to be honest we didn't think we'd ever get our visas approved and now we have it's quite a shock!

I look forward to hearing from you, thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

Emma
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 12:24 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in WA

Hi Emma. Welcome to the forum and thanks for introducing yourself in the Welcome Inn.

The best place for your questions is in the Australia section of this forum. I'm sure someone in Australia will be able to advise you. I think you should be able to find the Australia forum OK, but if you get stuck, just shout.

All the best with your move
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 12:30 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Emma,

Welcome to BE. Best of luck on your move to Australia.

I can't help with your other questions but here is a link to TRBA (Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia) which you may find useful:
http://www.trb.wa.gov.au
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

cox-flory82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies-I'll re-post (if that's even the correct terminology!) in the Australia section and see if I get any replies there too.

Thanks so much for your help!
Emma :-)
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 12:39 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Emma, looks like Sue has magically moved your post to Aus section already, so no need to re-post.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cox-flory82
Hi all,

I'm new to this, so please bear with me! We've recently had our visa approved and we're planning on making the permanent move to Australia in Dec this year/early Jan 2014, after validating the visa in July. I'm a Secondary school teacher, so I'll obviously be looking for work as soon as possible, preferably before making the move. My husband and I are planning to settle in the Perth area, but I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could help me with a few questions-it'd be much appreciated!

Ok, here goes:

How do I register to teach in WA?
What are the best job sites to look on?
Are re-location packages available?
When is the best time to apply for jobs?
Are there any careers fairs etc to network for teaching jobs held here in the UK?

Sorry there are so many questions, it's just all very daunting at the moment and we'd really appreciate the advice...to be honest we didn't think we'd ever get our visas approved and now we have it's quite a shock!

I look forward to hearing from you, thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

Emma

If you're looking for work December & January could well be the worst months to come over. Would say August September would be better personally, for applying for jobs & no shock of UK winter to Aussie summer, we went from daytime highs of -7c to 41c.
Re-location packages? From the UK or within WA?
From the UK no, within the state yes, they're always seeking Teachers in remote areas (not much good if you wish to live/work in Perth). Can pick up plenty of supply work dependent on your subject area.
Sites to look on Seek.com for none state schools & www.jobs.wa.gov.au for state jobs. I'd say you'd be best applying to do supply at first as you'd have no Australian experience.
To register with WACOT www.wacot.wa.edu.au/

UK Teachers fairs? No idea, do a google search
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:35 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
If you're looking for work December & January could well be the worst months to come over. Would say August September would be better personally, for applying for jobs & no shock of UK winter to Aussie summer, we went from daytime highs of -7c to 41c.
Re-location packages? From the UK or within WA?
From the UK no, within the state yes, they're always seeking Teachers in remote areas (not much good if you wish to live/work in Perth). Can pick up plenty of supply work dependent on your subject area.
Sites to look on Seek.com for none state schools & www.jobs.wa.gov.au for state jobs. I'd say you'd be best applying to do supply at first as you'd have no Australian experience.
To register with WACOT www.wacot.wa.edu.au/

UK Teachers fairs? No idea, do a google search
WACOT doesn't exist anymore. It is now the Teachers Registration Board
http://www.trb.wa.gov.au/
Old Mar 19th 2013, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

poppyandpeanut is an unknown quantity at this point

spme private schools and a few state schools are able to pay relocation costs, (within reason).

best to contact schools directly, you may hit lucky sooner than you think

And there are plenty of jobs in the big cities if you dont mind where you work