Teaching trip

Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Alextheophilus is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Teaching trip

Hello Everyone. I am a UK national, looking at undertaking a working holiday trip/work trip to Australia. When I am there I would like to teach, because I am a qualified post-compulsory teacher and teacher of English as a foreign language. Either that or a job aligned to research, as I also have skills in that or something which mixes the two. I am looking to go in the next six months.

I am finding it difficult finding organisations that cater for post-compulsory education. I have read some comments that the TAFE's are good starting places, however, does anyone know how these organisations recruit and when. I am not necessarily just looking for a short term contract, I would be interested in something up to a year in length. I would be especially interested in hearing from anyone who has experience of working in teaching based professions in Australia.

Thank you for reading!
Alex
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:23 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching trip

Originally Posted by Alextheophilus
Hello Everyone. I am a UK national, looking at undertaking a working holiday trip/work trip to Australia. When I am there I would like to teach, because I am a qualified post-compulsory teacher and teacher of English as a foreign language. Either that or a job aligned to research, as I also have skills in that or something which mixes the two. I am looking to go in the next six months.

I am finding it difficult finding organisations that cater for post-compulsory education. I have read some comments that the TAFE's are good starting places, however, does anyone know how these organisations recruit and when. I am not necessarily just looking for a short term contract, I would be interested in something up to a year in length. I would be especially interested in hearing from anyone who has experience of working in teaching based professions in Australia.

Thank you for reading!
Alex
Firstly, how old are you, you have to be under 31 to apply for a WHV, the only other way would be to get a working visa, and, beware, you will, almost certainly have to have your skills assesed before getting any visa.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I think that your chances of getting a teaching job on a WHV are going to be very slim. The working holiday is meant to be used as a means of seeing Australia and picking up some bar or fruit picking work to pay for your partying while here. If you want to emigrate as a teacher you're far better off getting a skilled visa and registering with the relevant state
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to the above, if you are coming on a WHV then you cannot work for an employer for more than 6 months, so you need to think in terms of a max 6 month contract, not one of up to a year.
The time and complexity involved in getting yourself registered as a teacher in one or more states usually deters WHV-ers from trying to teach while they are
here.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for responding. I am 27 years old, so I could apply for the WHV, but I am not interested in doing fruit picking, bar work or partying. Rather, I want this to be a way of getting some valuable professional development and of course to see Australia too, but for me it's more weekend trips away. I am finding also quite conflicting advice about registering as a teacher, because I am teaching in post compulsory education, not mainstream.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 8:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for responding. I am 27 years old, so I could apply for the WHV, but I am not interested in doing fruit picking, bar work or partying. Rather, I want this to be a way of getting some valuable professional development and of course to see Australia too, but for me it's more weekend trips away. I am finding also quite conflicting advice about registering as a teacher, because I am teaching in post compulsory education, not mainstream.
I would think you would probably be looking at teaching at TAFE so I would suggest as a start looking at each state's TAFE site and its reuqirements for the subjects you want to teach in.
On a WHV you would still be limited to 6 months for one employer though, doesn't matter whether its teaching or fruitpicking!
Old Sep 20th 2016, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Cant think that you would get much joy out of a WHV if you want to further your professional aspirations. If you currently have a job there might be a teacher exchange program you could look at. I know there are school exchanges but whether there are post school exchanges I have no idea. You basically exchange your life - home, job, vehicles etc
Old Sep 20th 2016, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I would think you would probably be looking at teaching at TAFE so I would suggest as a start looking at each state's TAFE site and its reuqirements for the subjects you want to teach in.
On a WHV you would still be limited to 6 months for one employer though, doesn't matter whether its teaching or fruitpicking!
Thanks Pollyana, I think 6 months may be too short for me. I would prefer a year, however, I would consider two different places - i.e. one city, one rural. The only thing is I actually know exactly where I want to go in Australia, so it is not like I want to a grand tour. I will definitely look at TAFE sites though!
Old Sep 20th 2016, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
Cant think that you would get much joy out of a WHV if you want to further your professional aspirations. If you currently have a job there might be a teacher exchange program you could look at. I know there are school exchanges but whether there are post school exchanges I have no idea. You basically exchange your life - home, job, vehicles etc
Thanks for the suggestion quoll, although I dont currently have the type of job where I think I could ask for a teacher exchange program, I am in teaching but through agency at the moment. However, I understand what you mean when you say that there would be no joy out of the WHV. A lot of people have said to me that they are aimed at the young, who do not really have a skill. I would like to do up to a year for professional development, and then see how I feel. I could then either return to the UK, in which case I believe it would look good on the CV, or stay in Australia I liked it. A goal of mine is also is to look into perhaps doing a PhD in a few years time, which could also influence my decision when there.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pollyana, I think 6 months may be too short for me. I would prefer a year, however, I would consider two different places - i.e. one city, one rural. The only thing is I actually know exactly where I want to go in Australia, so it is not like I want to a grand tour. I will definitely look at TAFE sites though!
You have no choice, there is a six month limit and wiuld be in breach of your visa otherwise.

Thanks for the suggestion quoll, although I dont currently have the type of job where I think I could ask for a teacher exchange program, I am in teaching but through agency at the moment. However, I understand what you mean when you say that there would be no joy out of the WHV. A lot of people have said to me that they are aimed at the young, who do not really have a skill. I would like to do up to a year for professional development, and then see how I feel. I could then either return to the UK, in which case I believe it would look good on the CV, or stay in Australia I liked it. A goal of mine is also is to look into perhaps doing a PhD in a few years time, which could also influence my decision when there.
Professional development on a WHV is a tough ask. This is not a professional development visa, it is a back packing visa. It can be hard to secure professional work on this visa as employers are put off by it. You would almost certainly get better professional development where you currently are.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to burst your bubble, but a lot of this is done on a voluntary basis in Oz - my wife did it for several years in WA as a volunteer
Old Sep 21st 2016, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You have no choice, there is a six month limit and wiuld be in breach of your visa otherwise.

Professional development on a WHV is a tough ask. This is not a professional development visa, it is a back packing visa. It can be hard to secure professional work on this visa as employers are put off by it. You would almost certainly get better professional development where you currently are.
Thank you for this advice. I think this visa would be a no no for me, I'd be better off going as a tourist on a three week trip! Thank you for your advice about professional development too!!
Old Sep 21st 2016, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by verystormy
I don't want to burst your bubble, but a lot of this is done on a voluntary basis in Oz - my wife did it for several years in WA as a volunteer
Thanks, but I have seen job adverts for tertiary education in several states. Fair enough, they haven't been in my subject. Did you wife teach English in WA?
Old Sep 21st 2016, 11:05 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, but I have seen job adverts for tertiary education in several states. Fair enough, they haven't been in my subject. Did you wife teach English in WA?
Of course you see jobs advertised, however many more people unemployed and therefore many many more applicants per job. Locally trained with local experience.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 11:10 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
Of course you see jobs advertised, however many more people unemployed and therefore many many more applicants per job. Locally trained with local experience.
And NOT on working holiday visas with a 6 months work restriction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.