Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

teaching in oz-pgce qualification recognised??

teaching in oz-pgce qualification recognised??

Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

casperoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default teaching in oz-pgce qualification recognised??

hello all, my husband, I and 2 children are thinking of moving to australia -my husband has a degree (not in teaching) but would like to do a pgce (post graduate certificate in education) 1 year course. does anyone know if it would be recognised in australia?? if it would not be then it could also be possible to obtain a student visa and we could go with him.. what are your thoughts on this-any advice would be much appreciated x
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: teaching in oz-pgce qualification recognised??

As far as I know, PGCE is recognised, at least in some circumstances. Look at the Teaching Australia website.

Some other UK teacher training qualifications are not recognised.

Even if PGCE is recognised it still doesn't mean you can migrate. You still need to qualify for a visa. http://www.immi.gov.au
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

thankyou will check those links-we are wondering if he would be better to study for the australian equivalent in australia to increase his chances of finding work there? or possibly extending his visa after completion?? or would we then have to come back to uk at end of one year course? would be very disruptive to the little ones- maybe he should do a complete 3 year teaching course in oz? i believe you can then stay and work for 18mths after completion of course? x
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

A PGCE is definitely recognised just don't do the GTP )ie gaining a teaching qualification whilst working within a school) as it will not be recognised.
BoL
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
A PGCE is definitely recognised just don't do the GTP )ie gaining a teaching qualification whilst working within a school) as it will not be recognised.
BoL
thanks xwhat we can't get our heads round is if it is better for him to study pgce here in uk or in australia-with a view to him getting a work sponsor???
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casperoo
thanks xwhat we can't get our heads round is if it is better for him to study pgce here in uk or in australia-with a view to him getting a work sponsor???
As UK teaching qualifications are recognised in Australia, it might make sense to do it here and then apply as a skilled migrant in due course. Studying in Australia can be very expensive, you would also have to pay school feels for children and I think you would only be able to work 20 hours a week too. I am not sure that studying in Australia would mean finding a work sponsor anyway.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Do it in UK and get NQT under your belt - wont cost you nearly as much and at the end of the day you will have the same possibility of getting a visa and finding employment here but you will also have the capacity to work back in UK should you not be able to move here for whatever reason. Being a student here is very expensive, especially if you have kids with their school fees being up around the $10k pa mark in some places and there will be no guarantee of a permanent resident visa at the end of it all. Australia actually has plenty of teachers - many of whom cannot get jobs (Qld newspaper this week) and if there are demands they are usually for places that Aus teachers wont live in and therefore quite a way from the migrant's "dream" environment.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter did post grad and still looking or a position and she is Australian.

The places that require teachers are the small schools in the country and being in the country in Aus bears no resemblance to country in UK.

Of course it depends what you teach, if you are science and maths jobs are easier to get.

A few years ago due to an expected teacher shortage they increased the places at university for teaching students and these students are now coming through.

As a first year teacher your oh would be competing with other graduates for positions. My daughter is considering returning to the UK to work as she has dual nationality.

Male teachers are in demand though although they are not allowed to discriminate, however faced with say 24 teachers at a school and 22 are female think the male may have the edge.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:36 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Bsc hons in Computing, a PGCE and 1 years teaching experience (induction year). I got a job teaching Maths and Computing in a K-12 private school following a telephone inquiry regarding relief work. As has been said before the subject you teach makes a huge difference and whether you teach high school or primary is also an important factor.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

princess21 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI i want to move over too with my husband and 2 children. i am currently completing pgce could i go over and look for a job as soon as im finished in june?