Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching in Oz...?

Teaching in Oz...?

Old Dec 30th 2009, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

QTtalkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Oz...?

Hi,Just wondered if anyone knows how a uk trained(and currently based) teacher would go about finding a teaching job in Oz? A bit of a generalised q I know,but just really don't know where to start/if there are many teaching jobs to be had etc...? Any info/advice wd b muchos appreciated, thanks,x
Old Dec 30th 2009, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Oz...?

Every State is different and has its own education department. This is supposed to change but who knows when. Therefor you need to decide where you would like to go and then have a look at the education sites.

For Victoria look at http://www.education.vic.gov.au/findaservice/Home.aspx

There have been a lot of threads about teaching so have a search on the site and I am sure you will find out a lot of information.

Good luck
Old Dec 30th 2009, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

Originally Posted by QTtalkin
Hi,Just wondered if anyone knows how a uk trained(and currently based) teacher would go about finding a teaching job in Oz? A bit of a generalised q I know,but just really don't know where to start/if there are many teaching jobs to be had etc...? Any info/advice wd b muchos appreciated, thanks,x
If you are over here then agencies seem to able to find short-term appointments for UK teachers quite easily. It would seem that from doing that you get the exposure you need to more permanent posts that become available.

Might be worth contacting the Department of Education and Training in your state of choice?

Not sure how easy it is to secure a post from outside of Australia though?
Old Dec 30th 2009, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

First things first.......when you say you are UK trained......did you do the three year teaching degree or an alternative degree with a teaching qualification on top?

To teach in Australia you must be 4 year trained - so just a normal 3 year teaching degree will not satisfy the requirements for teaching in Australia.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Dec 30th 2009, 6:47 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

this looks like a good place to ask this question
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Hubby is a teacher in Brisbane. The market here is very relationship based (not just for teaching) You get jobs here largely based on who you know. A route in that worked for him was parent volunteer, then teaching assistant, then he knew enough people to get a temporary teaching role. Permanent teaching vacancies in Ozzie cities are much sought after and rare even for 'shortage' occupations (hubby is science).
Trick is to have patience, network and prepare to work up the ranks.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Im flying to the Gold Coast area in July and have had a telephone interview with www.smartteachers.com and they seem to think I should be able to pick up some supply. (Secondary ICT/Business)

I also applied for three jobs and the feedback is that they wont consider the application until I am actually in Oz. Im just going to go out and I dont expect for a second that I will secure a perm job just hoping for a little supply. Good luck
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good place to start and to link you to the various state departments.

Teaching vacancies in places that people actually want to live and work are very tight but there are plenty of opportunities for people who are prepared to go and live where Aussie teachers dont want to be (wont be the migrants' dream place though). Maths/Science is the most sought after. Some states have a process where you pretty much have to do a hardship posting before you will be considered for a plum position.

Even then some states have a nasty habit of long term contracts if you are lucky but which tend not to morph into permanent positions because contractors are cheaper to employ - not good if you are planning for a family though.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

Teaching vacancies in places that people actually want to live and work are very tight but there are plenty of opportunities for people who are prepared to go and live where Aussie teachers dont want to be (wont be the migrants' dream place though). Maths/Science is the most sought after. Some states have a process where you pretty much have to do a hardship posting before you will be considered for a plum position.
This is slightly unfair Quoll - you're presuming everyone wants to live in the centre of Brisvegas etc by that! Rural schools are desperate for staff, thereby making applications a easier process and some people like rural areas - some infact prefer not to live in the cities! These rural areas can still be close to beaches (well an hour) and still have a lot to offer.

contractors are cheaper to employ
I've friends who are involved as various different teaching roles, some supply, some perm contract and some temp contract ..... supply seems to win on earnings! One friend has been supply for nearly 20 yrs as a result!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby is teaching in a rural school, and we are at most a 5mins walking distance to a large beach!

My town has several beaches and a fancy marina (currently has world yacht racing stop off over Xmas/New Year)

So yes it is possible to be rural and be near the beach.

Gems
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
This is slightly unfair Quoll - you're presuming everyone wants to live in the centre of Brisvegas etc by that! Rural schools are desperate for staff, thereby making applications a easier process and some people like rural areas - some infact prefer not to live in the cities! These rural areas can still be close to beaches (well an hour) and still have a lot to offer.

I've friends who are involved as various different teaching roles, some supply, some perm contract and some temp contract ..... supply seems to win on earnings! One friend has been supply for nearly 20 yrs as a result!
LOL most migrants do not want to live in Boomanoomana or Delegate although there may be one or two who will do the hard yards - that generally isnt the Australia they think they are coming to (they usually want Bondi or Surfers along with all the other local teachers). I'm not saying there is anything wrong at all with living in a rural or remote area but the capacity for culture shock for a new migrant is enormous and if they have a family they may not want to have their own kids grow up in Wilcannia or Kunnanurra.

If you dont need the stability of permanent employment because you have a family/mortgage etc then casual relief is fine - it pays more because you dont get leave entitlements. Casuals are cheaper for the departments because they dont have all the on costs of permanency. If you can live with the indecision of being casual then that's obviously not going to be a problem. Personally I like to know where my next mortgage payment is going to come from (well, I did when I had a mortgage!)
Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

LOL most migrants do not want to live in Boomanoomana or Delegate although there may be one or two who will do the hard yards - that generally isnt the Australia they think they are coming to (they usually want Bondi or Surfers along with all the other local teachers). I'm not saying there is anything wrong at all with living in a rural or remote area but the capacity for culture shock for a new migrant is enormous and if they have a family they may not want to have their own kids grow up in Wilcannia or Kunnanurra.

If you dont need the stability of permanent employment because you have a family/mortgage etc then casual relief is fine - it pays more because you dont get leave entitlements. Casuals are cheaper for the departments because they dont have all the on costs of permanency. If you can live with the indecision of being casual then that's obviously not going to be a problem. Personally I like to know where my next mortgage payment is going to come from (well, I did when I had a mortgage!)
I have to agree with Quoll the country areas where they need teachers is not an hour from the beach, an hour from the beach in Melbourne you are still in the city. Same with the other capitals.

My son started off in a county school a P12 school primary through secondary, in the middle of massive and I mean massive wheat fields, scrub bush around, very hot in summer, dust storms, flies abound all that stuff and it was nowhere near the beach. Fairly near to Mildura and the Murray River though. My son used to go out for a day on a header they set the thing on computer control, take some dvds and some beer and off they go all day ploughing one field and probably not finished and back the next day.

Country Australia is nothing like country England or Scotland and our distances are huge we think nothing of driving up to see my son and he is three and half hours away now, used to be seven hours.

If you can hack it its a great lifestyle with lovely people, very friendly and inclusive. They make a good social life and when one is a teacher you get to meet everyone, can be a good thing or a bad thing, if you take a sicky everyone will know.