Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching in a college

Teaching in a college

Old Feb 24th 2004, 11:20 am
Just Joined

daisyrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in a college

Hi, I'm wondering if someone out there can help me?

I currently work as a Lecturer in Health and Social Care at a local college for further education. I am on the first year of the Certificate in Education but I have the City and Guilds 7307 teaching qualification. Will I have to upgrade these qualifications or am I qualified to teach on landing?
I would appreciate any comments you have.
Thanks.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 11:38 am
Just Joined

jscott is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am interested in this - I am a lecturer in computing.

Have fun doing the Cert Ed - I finished mine last year!

Jaqui
Old Feb 27th 2004, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

daisyrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jacqui,
Is it me, or is it hard to find out what's needed of us in order to teach in Australia. I've trawled loads of sites and I'm still none the wiser! Becki
Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:14 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by daisyrose
Hi Jacqui,
Is it me, or is it hard to find out what's needed of us in order to teach in Australia. I've trawled loads of sites and I'm still none the wiser! Becki
If you want to teach at University level, you will need a PhD for a tenure track position or Masters for non-tenure lecturer. Universities will generally not require a teaching qualification to start but will encourage completion during your employment. Technical colleges (TAFE) usually want a teching diploma of some sought as well as qualification in the domain area (trade or profession). If you want to teach K-12 you will need a 4 year teacher's degree or equivalent. The qualifications for K-12 teaching are published by each State Government education department.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:24 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't let me piss on your birthday cake but you sound like people who have qualified in the post-90s UK, ie anyone and his dog can teach 'Health and Social Care' if they have done the PADI course.

The rest of the world will not give you credit for having turned up more-or-less sober for the right number of days, they expect talent, experience and application.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Don't let me piss on your birthday cake but you sound like people who have qualified in the post-90s UK, ie anyone and his dog can teach 'Health and Social Care' if they have done the PADI course.

The rest of the world will not give you credit for having turned up more-or-less sober for the right number of days, they expect talent, experience and application.
Umm, pleasance by name, pleasant by nature (not in this instance) Don's been having too much cheap booze in Thailand I think!

When you say work in a 'college', as someone pointed out there are TAFE (Technical and Further Education) Colleges which will require you to register to teach with the TAFE authority in the particular state you are thinking of before you can seek employment. Similarly there is registration for state primary and secondary schools and private schools. In Victoria for example there used to be separate registration boards for State, Private and TAFE but I believe this has recently been unified into one authority. For tertiary institutions prior registration is usually not required and it is down to your qualifications, research, publications, interview, etc.

When I came to Scotland I had to first register with the GTC (General Teaching Council) for Scotland before being permitted to teach. This involved checking out my qualifications and previous employment, particularly in the 3 subjects I nominated to teach. I was (am still) registered to teach state and private secondary and TAFE in Victoria. My last job before coming here was in a TAFE College in Bendigo.

OzTennis
Old Feb 27th 2004, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I guess I will have to retire for the evening but unless I got the wrong end of the pole these people were UK so-called lecturers (not Aus) qualified to teach sod all, my arse could teach better health + social care than most UK graduates post-90s.
I suppose I was saying in a subtle way that it is up to the appropriate registration authority in Australia to determine the worth of the applicant to teach in their educational establishments. They will look at their qualifications and experience and take it from there.

OzTennis