Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching in Australia

Teaching in Australia

Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of
Default Teaching in Australia

Hi

Pls could somebody point me in the right direction. Where could I find info re teaching jobs available in Australia? Just doing research at the moment and I am interested to see if their are infact teaching posts available.

Those teachers already in Oz did you secure employment before you travelled? I am looking at a 175 visa.

Thanks Nicky
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:57 am
Outback Club Member

Paddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant future
Default Re: Teaching in Australia

Hi Nicky

You may be best posting in the teaching forum.

Some jobs are advertised on the main job sites.

I just sent off my CV to 2 schools I liked....interviewed at both and managed to secure a job. Hopefully I will be across in April.

Do you know which part of Australia you would like to move to? The areas are very different.

What is your subject? Some are more sought after than others.

Good luck
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Hi

Thanks for your advice and I will re post. I teach secondary ICT and Business Studies and I am looking at possibly Perth or Queensland. Very different I know. Where have you secured a job and where did you see these advertised? thanks
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:20 pm
Outback Club Member

Paddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant future

Secured mine in Queensland. I just sent off a speculative enquiry...it snowballed from there.

Perth is nice although isolated. They have some good schools in the private sector from what I saw but I did not see any in the state sector.

You should be OK with ICT (?).
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute

I teach sec age in Victoria. Government site recruitment on line is the best ...google recruitment on line victoria ...Sofweb I think..once you have entered all your details it will email you every vacancy that matches. Sorry I can't be more specific or offer a link...I am ICT deficient!! If you need more info PM me and I will sort something out!!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to look in here for advice. Worldwide but lots of Aus stuff.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:46 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Whichever state you go to I would recommend that you arrange to be registered with the College of Teachers (or similar) before you go.

When we arrived I sent off my application to the Queensland College of teachers. It took 4 months before I got it back, and I could not teach until I had it. It didn't really matter though because I was at home with the kids and still haven't gone back to work, so for me it wasn't a problem.

Just a heads up though, it could take several months to get registered so if you want to work when you arrive you'll want to sort it out before hand.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

SJFothe is a jewel in the roughSJFothe is a jewel in the roughSJFothe is a jewel in the roughSJFothe is a jewel in the rough

I am teaching in WA - to work for the dept you need to be registered with WACOT before you can seek work, the dept will then place you - BUT be prepared to travel, live in the bush or do relief (thats what they call supply) I have been very fortunate I started at Perth College as Manager of Outside School Hours care - after school and vacation care , picked up lots of relief including a whole term at PC then moved to a govt school in High Wycombe 5 mins from home this was just temporary but worth doing for the exp and the pay ( if you can prove your UK wage you will be laughing ) I used seek.com.au to search for private school jobs but you can also search thewest.com.au the local newspaper. I was very fortunate finding a job in Sept for to start end of Jan - now earning far more than in Uk without any of the responsibility I used to have and no stress of Ofsted its bliss. As secondary IT/business you should be fine in fact you will probably have schools fighting over you. if you want to PM me then I can answer more specific q's. We are living 20 mins from Perth CBD and 30 mins from the beach we have found paradise Perth is fantastic.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:36 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Quick question to those who have replied to OP;
Did you already have your visa before you applied for jobs and I assume you have to be passed by Teaching Australia before you can register with state education departments.

I have looked at jobs in Adelaide (briefly) and they have all required permanent residence.

Cheers,
Cooler
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:43 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
I assume you have to be passed by Teaching Australia before you can register with state education departments.
We got our permanent visa based only on my husbands skills. I was not required to get assessed by Teaching Australia so I didn't bother. Once we arrived then I applied to be registered with Queensland Education.

So I believe they are two separate things, one for visa purposes and another for teacher registration. You should be able to get registered without being assessed first. Or at least this is the case with Queensland. I don't believe there was any reference to Teaching Australia on the forms for QLD, although it did ask for visa details. So not sure if you need to have the visa before you apply or not.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:41 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
We got our permanent visa based only on my husbands skills. I was not required to get assessed by Teaching Australia so I didn't bother. Once we arrived then I applied to be registered with Queensland Education.

So I believe they are two separate things, one for visa purposes and another for teacher registration. You should be able to get registered without being assessed first. Or at least this is the case with Queensland. I don't believe there was any reference to Teaching Australia on the forms for QLD, although it did ask for visa details. So not sure if you need to have the visa before you apply or not.
Thanks comet, I'll have a look at SA (Au) as that's where we intend to go - I hope that they don't want the same information as I have sent to Teaching Aus

Oh, and if you were 666 instead of 555, I could say you were very sixy

Cheers,
Cooler
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:27 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler

Oh, and if you were 666 instead of 555, I could say you were very sixy
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:52 pm
Capt Hilts

Originally Posted by comet555
Mind you, that's the number of the beast as well

Cooler