Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

teaching in australia

teaching in australia

Old Oct 31st 2002, 4:08 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Alan Collett
No it doesn't ... you don't need to pay any NI contributions to be eligible for free health care in the UK. The State Pension is worth a pittance, as is Unemployment Benefit, and both are taxable in any event.

It might be claimed that NI contributions fund these Government costs, but as most know NI is a tax in all but name and doesn't lead to any meaningful benefits at all.

Best regards.
NI funds health care , yes pension is not good but you still get it unlike Aussie one where you could get nil.
Higher rate of tax in Australia gives you less so I will take the UK system thankyou .
Old Oct 31st 2002, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Bernie, you are spot on with your comments. Unfortunately our children are receiving no better an education here than they were in the UK - one of the reasons we left (amongst many others).

They both attend a "good" State Primary, in an "upper-middle class suburb" of Brisbane, and the school's reputation is excellent amongst the locals. However, the teachers are of a very mixed ability - my 10 year old son came home with his English grammar homework marked 100% correct, but unfortunately it was 100% incorrect!!! (Not his best subject, grammar). Clearly his teacher does not bother to read the homework assignments, just ticks them off automatically.

There has also been a lot of bullying in the school, and although parents have tackled the teachers/headteacher about it, nothing has been done yet.

As far as testing is concerned, although they don't sit SATS as such, there is still a lot of "Assessment Testing" done over here - I would imagine there is still a lot of admin. work involved if you're teaching here.

The private schools round here seem to be of 2 different "standards" - you can pay a fortune for a good one, but pay less and you'll only get the same standards as a good State school. There really is no case for the "I can afford to send my child to a private school in OZ, but not in the UK" - you are not comparing like for like.

IMHO, my children are no better off over here in terms of education - and yes, I do really miss holidays in Europe, and the diversity that they offer.

However, the permanent sunshine is something I would definitely miss if we ever went back to the UK - can't bear the thought of all those cold, grey days again...
Old Oct 31st 2002, 5:26 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Sounds like the kind of thing the tax office are having ago at clamping down on, thanks to Mr I am a greedy bastard Packer?
Easy tiger - I'm doing some work for the great man as we speak. Have a meeting with him next week. Somewhat scared at the prospect but he's a paying client!
Old Oct 31st 2002, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Bernard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommiesheila
Bernie, you are spot on with your comments. Unfortunately our children are receiving no better an education here than they were in the UK - one of the reasons we left (amongst many others).

They both attend a "good" State Primary, in an "upper-middle class suburb" of Brisbane, and the school's reputation is excellent amongst the locals. However, the teachers are of a very mixed ability - my 10 year old son came home with his English grammar homework marked 100% correct, but unfortunately it was 100% incorrect!!! (Not his best subject, grammar). Clearly his teacher does not bother to read the homework assignments, just ticks them off automatically.

There has also been a lot of bullying in the school, and although parents have tackled the teachers/headteacher about it, nothing has been done yet.

As far as testing is concerned, although they don't sit SATS as such, there is still a lot of "Assessment Testing" done over here - I would imagine there is still a lot of admin. work involved if you're teaching here.

The private schools round here seem to be of 2 different "standards" - you can pay a fortune for a good one, but pay less and you'll only get the same standards as a good State school. There really is no case for the "I can afford to send my child to a private school in OZ, but not in the UK" - you are not comparing like for like.

IMHO, my children are no better off over here in terms of education - and yes, I do really miss holidays in Europe, and the diversity that they offer.

However, the permanent sunshine is something I would definitely miss if we ever went back to the UK - can't bear the thought of all those cold, grey days again...

Yes - I think your experience is fairly typical.

In the English-speaking world an average UK state school is as good as you will find anywhere and certainly compares well with Australia.
As you say, the cheaper Australian private schools are a world away from a UK private school. What you are paying for in Australia is for child to be educated *away from* the rough kids. Its 'horses for courses' - nowhere is perfect and after a couple of years in Australia you start to see some of the 'cracks in the walls'. Oz is a somewhat less inclusive and more individualistic society than the UK - health, welfare and education resemble the US model more than the UK model.

If you want really good schools then teach your children German at a very early age and then emigrate to Germany/Austria/Switzerland - their education systems are quite superb and behaviour and discipline are excellent. Could maybe try Sweden (12 to a class in primary?).
Old Oct 31st 2002, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

I take your point about teaching the children German etc. We had originally wanted to move from UK to France, but as our children are 10 and 7, felt it would be unfair to install them into an educational system (albeit a very good one) whereby they had to have all lessons in French...

Guess we're stuck with either the UK or Oz... at the moment, the jury is still out!!!
Old Oct 31st 2002, 11:14 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Ditto the UK, Herman, with children's tax credits, etc a shift from one aspect of Government spending to another. And is National Insurance treated as a tax in the UK? I don't think so, as the UK Government wouldn't have you believing that - and NI is a significant cost for employees and employers.

Governments on both sides of the world seem to be into spinning the figures these days (sayeth the cynic ...). Then again we're both accountants so I guess we shouldn't be too ready to criticise ... :-))

Hands up, I'm not sure about how these stats are compiled, but one would hope for some kind of comparability.

Best regards.
I think I'm inclined to agree with your original comment about the tax burden on individuals being broadly equivalent in the two places. Logically you might expect a country like Oz with a huge land mass and smaller population to have higher taxes, but the UK has a lot of catching up to do on taxes to pay for years of infrastructure neglect and the cash eating monster that is the NHS etc etc. Income tax is lower in the UK but expenditure taxes are higher in the UK on everyday items with higher VAT and the massive taxes on petrol, fags and booze. All in all I suspect that the average family would hand over an equivalent percentage of their income to the government.
Old Nov 1st 2002, 12:34 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Herman
I think I'm inclined to agree with your original comment about the tax burden on individuals being broadly equivalent in the two places. Logically you might expect a country like Oz with a huge land mass and smaller population to have higher taxes, but the UK has a lot of catching up to do on taxes to pay for years of infrastructure neglect and the cash eating monster that is the NHS etc etc. Income tax is lower in the UK but expenditure taxes are higher in the UK on everyday items with higher VAT and the massive taxes on petrol, fags and booze. All in all I suspect that the average family would hand over an equivalent percentage of their income to the government.
Just a small point I take it that you pay your tax on income to UK not Australia? are you taxed as an Australian.
By the way ask Mr fat bastard Packer how much he paid his driver for his Kidney , seems everything has a price in Australia? Best Wishes PB

Health care is out of control here too?

$10m loss for HBF brings rate rise fear

By Mark Mallabone

CANBERRA

THE State's biggest private health fund, HBF, has posted a $10 million loss, heightening expectations that members will be saddled with premium rises next year.

The poor result was posted despite imposing an average 18 per cent price rise on its 850,000 members - most of whom live in WA - in April.

That increase added an extra $150 a year to an average family policy.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Nov 1st 2002 at 12:47 am.
Old Nov 1st 2002, 2:28 am

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Just a small point I take it that you pay your tax on income to UK not Australia? are you taxed as an Australian.
By the way ask Mr fat bastard Packer how much he paid his driver for his Kidney , seems everything has a price in Australia? Best Wishes PB

Health care is out of control here too?

$10m loss for HBF brings rate rise fear

By Mark Mallabone

CANBERRA

THE State's biggest private health fund, HBF, has posted a $10 million loss, heightening expectations that members will be saddled with premium rises next year.

The poor result was posted despite imposing an average 18 per cent price rise on its 850,000 members - most of whom live in WA - in April.

That increase added an extra $150 a year to an average family policy.
I pay tax in Australia and also in the UK. My salary is paid some in Oz and some in the UK. Its so complex I dont even understand it but the net effect is that I pay UK tax rates on my income and I earn triple what my Australian colleagues get which really pisses them off, but I'm sure will bring a smile to your face as it does mine! I dont tell them that on top of triple their salary I also get $2000 per month housing allowance because according to my firms calculations it costs more to live in Sydney than London!

I did'nt get to meet Packer - my boss considered me too lowly so I was left out of the meeting. Not that I'm bothered by that turn of events! I'll try to get a personal message to him with love from PB.
Old Nov 1st 2002, 2:49 am
Banned

Originally posted by Herman
I pay tax in Australia and also in the UK. My salary is paid some in Oz and some in the UK. Its so complex I dont even understand it but the net effect is that I pay UK tax rates on my income and I earn triple what my Australian colleagues get which really pisses them off, but I'm sure will bring a smile to your face as it does mine! I dont tell them that on top of triple their salary I also get $2000 per month housing allowance because according to my firms calculations it costs more to live in Sydney than London!

I did'nt get to meet Packer - my boss considered me too lowly so I was left out of the meeting. Not that I'm bothered by that turn of events! I'll try to get a personal message to him with love from PB.
Proud of you my lad , any Brit worth 3 Aussies in my book.this realy is working out the land of plenty for you even though it sounds like you are tax dodging you lucky boy.
Not to worry about Packer him and his son are first rate arseholes.
Best Wishes PB