Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching assistants

Teaching assistants

Old May 17th 2005, 11:58 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Teaching assistants

I work as a Year 6 (primary) teaching assistant in UK and was checking that the same kind of job is available in Perth. I have a teaching assistant's NVQ and have HLTA status. I am trained in teaching numeracy and literacy SATs booster lessons amongs other things.

I love the job and the immense satisfaction I get from seeing the children progress, I just hate the crap wages. Especially when we get dodgy teachers in and I know that I could do a better job than them! The only reason I don't become a teacher is because I don't have a degree and I really can't be bothered to spend the years studying for that at 42 years old.

Will I still be able to do the same work in Perth?
Old May 17th 2005, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching assistants

Hi Anne

Sorry I can't answer your question but I have been wondering the same thing. I am just about to finish my college course for Level 2 TA. I haven't got a job here yet but was hoping to be able to do something similar in oz.

I will keep any eye on any replies.

Louise
Old May 17th 2005, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by louise
Hi Anne

Sorry I can't answer your question but I have been wondering the same thing. I am just about to finish my college course for Level 2 TA. I haven't got a job here yet but was hoping to be able to do something similar in oz.

I will keep any eye on any replies.

Louise

Well done on completing your course. People don't appreciate the hard work and just think that we are uneducated minions. Let them look that one up :scared: Teachers I work with said the detail involved in the NVQ was more than they had to do! Australia will be lucky to have us
Old May 17th 2005, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, your right.

Was thinking of doing the NVQIII, but don't think we'll be here long enough to complete, so I will wait and see what Australia has to offer.

Louise
Old May 17th 2005, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
I work as a Year 6 (primary) teaching assistant in UK and was checking that the same kind of job is available in Perth. I have a teaching assistant's NVQ and have HLTA status. I am trained in teaching numeracy and literacy SATs booster lessons amongs other things.

I love the job and the immense satisfaction I get from seeing the children progress, I just hate the crap wages. Especially when we get dodgy teachers in and I know that I could do a better job than them! The only reason I don't become a teacher is because I don't have a degree and I really can't be bothered to spend the years studying for that at 42 years old.

yes you will, I help out at Oliver's school (as a Mum helper, not paid) and spoke to one of the relief teaching assistants last week who had moved here from UK, she does supply and gets quite a bit of work or you can look for permanent.

Teresa
Old May 17th 2005, 1:05 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Well done on completing your course. People don't appreciate the hard work and just think that we are uneducated minions. Let them look that one up :scared: Teachers I work with said the detail involved in the NVQ was more than they had to do! Australia will be lucky to have us
Hi Anne,
Yup you are right Australia will be lucky to have you. I think that you do a very important job, another link in the chain I say. I couldn't manage without my Literacy and Numeracy LSA. I think she is wonderful and helps me out in so many ways. I just wish the rest of the school didn't treat her like c**p and that I had her full time. She has had a really awful time with the supply teacher that has been covering my sick leave.
You do an amazing job an don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Sarah
Old May 17th 2005, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by teach
Hi Anne,
Yup you are right Australia will be lucky to have you. I think that you do a very important job, another link in the chain I say. I couldn't manage without my Literacy and Numeracy LSA. I think she is wonderful and helps me out in so many ways. I just wish the rest of the school didn't treat her like c**p and that I had her full time. She has had a really awful time with the supply teacher that has been covering my sick leave.
You do an amazing job an don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Sarah

Thanks for your vote of confidence. It means a lot.
Old May 17th 2005, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the Dept of edu for WA and see if your qualification is listed.
Then if you can't see it email them and ask. and ask again and again until you receive a reply!
If you have time before you leave uk spend time retraining or adding to your present qualifications,it is never a waste of time.
I was 40 when I trained to teach dyslexic kids. unfortunately I can't use this to teach in uk schools - only in private schools and dyslexic centres
Good luck with your move to oz
Helinuk
Old May 19th 2005, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

YES, i did TA in UK . I had to do a refresher course here but only 3 sections to get WA certificate, it was easy.
Old May 19th 2005, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by cranni
YES, i did TA in UK . I had to do a refresher course here but only 3 sections to get WA certificate, it was easy.
Many thanks for that. Do I assume that the wages there as a TA are just as cruddy as they are here? Lots of job satisfaction though. How did you cope with literacy lessons bearing in mind the different accent having an implication on vowels sounds etc? I work in year 6 (10 & 11 year olds).
Old May 20th 2005, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for that. Do I assume that the wages there as a TA are just as cruddy as they are here? Lots of job satisfaction though. How did you cope with literacy lessons bearing in mind the different accent having an implication on vowels sounds etc? I work in year 6 (10 & 11 year olds).
the wages are good and the dollar goes further. Kids are great, and take the micky out of me when i say words like [butter and funny] you can do supply TA and get lots of work which is what i do , i have been here in WA for 6 months, i am 45 my hubby 42 and 3 kids we love it here i hope everything goes well for you as the whole process can be very stressful.GOOD LUCK. Where are you going to settle.
Old May 20th 2005, 5:57 am

the wages are good and the dollar goes further. Kids are great, and take the micky out of me when i say words like [butter and funny] you can do supply TA and get lots of work which is what i do , i have been here in WA for 6 months, i am 45 my hubby 42 and 3 kids we love it here i hope everything goes well for you as the whole process can be very stressful.GOOD LUCK. Where are you going to settle.
I've got a sister in Wellard with 3 boys 17, 15 & 13. Our own son will be 13 in September and we are hoping to live in Rockingham. We have thought about sending him to Kolbe as we have not heard brilliant things about the state schools but you might be in a better position you advise.
Old May 20th 2005, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

I've got a sister in Wellard with 3 boys 17, 15 & 13. Our own son will be 13 in September and we are hoping to live in Rockingham. We have thought about sending him to Kolbe as we have not heard brilliant things about the state schools but you might be in a better position you advise.
GDAY, WE LIVE IN BUNBURY, ITS BEAUTIFUL HERE, 2 HOURS SOUTH OF PERTH. MY 3 GO TO STATE SCHOOL AND IT IS FANTASTIC, THEY PLAY GOLF,BASKETBALL, FOOTBALL SOCCER, TENNIS, THEY HAVE AN ASSAULT COURSE AND GO SWIMMING, THE TEACHING IS GREAT. MY FREINDS CHILDREN WENT TO PRIVATE SCHOOL NORTH PERTH AND THEY HAVE JUST PUT THEM IN STATE SCHOOL, THEY WERE NOT HAPPY WITH THE PRIVATE, YOU GET GOOD AND BAD WHEREVER YOU GO. WHEN DO YOU THINK YOU WILL BE OUT HERE AND HAVE YOU ANY FAMILY TO COME TO.
Old May 20th 2005, 7:33 am

GDAY, WE LIVE IN BUNBURY, ITS BEAUTIFUL HERE, 2 HOURS SOUTH OF PERTH. MY 3 GO TO STATE SCHOOL AND IT IS FANTASTIC, THEY PLAY GOLF,BASKETBALL, FOOTBALL SOCCER, TENNIS, THEY HAVE AN ASSAULT COURSE AND GO SWIMMING, THE TEACHING IS GREAT. MY FREINDS CHILDREN WENT TO PRIVATE SCHOOL NORTH PERTH AND THEY HAVE JUST PUT THEM IN STATE SCHOOL, THEY WERE NOT HAPPY WITH THE PRIVATE, YOU GET GOOD AND BAD WHEREVER YOU GO. WHEN DO YOU THINK YOU WILL BE OUT HERE AND HAVE YOU ANY FAMILY TO COME TO.

I've a sister in Wellard with 3 boys. How old are your boys? I was really interested to see your comments on schools. Can I be really rude and ask you how much you get paid an hour? What age group do you work with?

I vaguely know where Bunbury is. We were over for a visit in November and we had a little look around Rockingham and Mandurah. We also did a trip to the valley of the giants and, I think, passed through Bunbury.

My son will be over the moon to hear you do golf at school over there. He plays - soccer, basketball, cricket, tennis, golf and karate. One of the reasons I think Oz will be so good for him.
Old May 20th 2005, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

I've a sister in Wellard with 3 boys. How old are your boys? I was really interested to see your comments on schools. Can I be really rude and ask you how much you get paid an hour? What age group do you work with?

I vaguely know where Bunbury is. We were over for a visit in November and we had a little look around Rockingham and Mandurah. We also did a trip to the valley of the giants and, I think, passed through Bunbury.

My son will be over the moon to hear you do golf at school over there. He plays - soccer, basketball, cricket, tennis, golf and karate. One of the reasons I think Oz will be so good for him.
hi again, the rate can be between 13 and 17 dollars per hour, depending if you are supporting a child with special needs or not.I dont think it is much different to UK i did not start work in UK i did course just before i came out, make sure you have all the work file you did, i brought all my work so they could see what i had done ,so i paid the 500 dollars course fee at college for WA certificate, but i only have to do 3 parts of it which i can do at home, so i am supply TA at the moment and i childmind for a teacher. My 3 boys are 7 , 10 and 11 and the 10 year old plays soccer he went to Man u academy , heplayed in a tournament here a couple of weeks ago at margaret river and they won, so they where in the south west times, we are 1 hour south of Mandurah and we also have freinds there. Ihave 3 older kids in UK. my daughter is moving over here in June, my son is coming over with his partner in Jan, my older son lives in London and will probably stay in London, but have great hols here. Glad to help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.