Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teachers heading to WA

Wikiposts

Teachers heading to WA

Old Jun 21st 2004, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MSB
In some states I believe you have to apply for permission to teach which I have heard can take up to 4 months to get.

Does anyone know if this is so in Aus. Have looked at the Perth Ed Authority web site but it says nothing about this. E mailed them twice and no response.

Thanks

Laura

My girlfriend contacted the ed dept in OZ yesterday. YOu apparently have to do a familiarisation course which also consists of a mini teaching practice which is observed.

We are planning to move out in Jan 05, but were told that for Helen (the gf) to get a job she would really need to be there in Sept to be able to do the courses and get considered.

They also said that they place all Aussie grads before foreign teachers, which is annoying, but something which I fully understand and support.

They said that Helen will be able to apply and get supply work and short term contract work when she gets there, but we are unsure when she will get a 'proper job' as they said that there were not that many positions available.

Not particularly good news unfortunately.

Dave

p.s. - Helen is a primary school teacher - dunno if the situation is different for secondary.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 8:45 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by darkless
My girlfriend contacted the ed dept in OZ yesterday. YOu apparently have to do a familiarisation course which also consists of a mini teaching practice which is observed.

We are planning to move out in Jan 05, but were told that for Helen (the gf) to get a job she would really need to be there in Sept to be able to do the courses and get considered.

They also said that they place all Aussie grads before foreign teachers, which is annoying, but something which I fully understand and support.

They said that Helen will be able to apply and get supply work and short term contract work when she gets there, but we are unsure when she will get a 'proper job' as they said that there were not that many positions available.

Not particularly good news unfortunately.

Dave

p.s. - Helen is a primary school teacher - dunno if the situation is different for secondary.
Hi Darkless,

Thanks for that.

Also heading out as a primary school teacher, I have only just finished my computing degree and will be starting my PGCE and a Japanese language course in September.

Where abouts in Essex do you live ?

Kind Regards
ACE
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by ACE
Hi Darkless,

Thanks for that.

Also heading out as a primary school teacher, I have only just finished my computing degree and will be starting my PGCE and a Japanese language course in September.

Where abouts in Essex do you live ?

Kind Regards
ACE

Hi ACE

I have a computer based degree, but I have to say nothing on this planet would make me work with kids all day!!

We live in a place called South Woodham Ferrers, near Chelmsford. I have to admit that I have never heard of Ashingdon (i though that was in Kent), so either my Geography is crap or it is too upmarket for the likes of me

When are you planning to go to OZ?

Dave
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 10:36 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ACE

I have a computer based degree, but I have to say nothing on this planet would make me work with kids all day!!

We live in a place called South Woodham Ferrers, near Chelmsford. I have to admit that I have never heard of Ashingdon (i though that was in Kent), so either my Geography is crap or it is too upmarket for the likes of me

When are you planning to go to OZ?

Dave
Hi Dave,
It's funny you should say that but up until early this year I was adamant that I wanted to work in the city and persue a career in procument or supply chain management. I was actually offered a place on the BT graduate fast track management scheme and was all set to accept. I kept thinking about how little time I would be able to spend with my boys aged 1 and 8 and I just couldn't do it. I'm actually really excited about becoming a teacher, it probabaly sounds strange but I love being around children. I guess it's their innocence and the simplicity with which they view the world that I like.

We are planning to go in 2006. My hubby's firm have very recently annonced a requirement for voluntary redundancies, which he is taking. There is also the strong possibility of him getting a transfer rather than redundacy but as his job isn't going he will have to stay and train his replacement over the next two years.

I know South Woodham, there are some really nice spots around that way. Ashingdon is about 5 miles from Southend. It is tiny and nestled between Hockley and Rayleigh. It's really nice and very quiet. There are a few new developments around but a lot of the surrounding land is greenbelt so we still have woods, fields and lots of lovely walks on our doorstep . We live at the top of the Ashingdon Hill.

What do you do in computing?

Kind Regards
ACE
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by ACE
Hi Dave,
It's funny you should say that but up until early this year I was adamant that I wanted to work in the city and persue a career in procument or supply chain management. I was actually offered a place on the BT graduate fast track management scheme and was all set to accept. I kept thinking about how little time I would be able to spend with my boys aged 1 and 8 and I just couldn't do it. I'm actually really excited about becoming a teacher, it probabaly sounds strange but I love being around children. I guess it's their innocence and the simplicity with which they view the world that I like.

We are planning to go in 2006. My hubby's firm have very recently annonced a requirement for voluntary redundancies, which he is taking. There is also the strong possibility of him getting a transfer rather than redundacy but as his job isn't going he will have to stay and train his replacement over the next two years.

I know South Woodham, there are some really nice spots around that way. Ashingdon is about 5 miles from Southend. It is tiny and nestled between Hockley and Rayleigh. It's really nice and very quiet. There are a few new developments around but a lot of the surrounding land is greenbelt so we still have woods, fields and lots of lovely walks on our doorstep . We live at the top of the Ashingdon Hill.

What do you do in computing?

Kind Regards
ACE

Hiya ACE,

Fair comment actually. The rat race that is the the 7.36 from South Woodham Ferrers to London Liverpool Street is not something I ever want to do!!

Although the thought of spending that amount of time time with a mass of children scares the living daylights out of me, I fully understand where you are coming from. I think that the best job I have ever had was running a summer playscheme for 6-11 year old kids, one summer whilst at Uni. My girlfriend gets fed up with school etc occasionally, but not once has that been because of the kids - always because of the associated cr*p that goes with it from new government this and that, etc.

I moved down to Essex 6 years ago when I got a job as an IT consultant with Logica in Brentwood. Since then I have also contracted at BT, Ford and currently I work at Anglia Polytechnic University and run my own web development company. Funnily enough I am based in Benfleet which is a stones throw away from Rayleigh. Thus strange that I was unaware of Ashingdon - still you learn something new every day.

So whereabouts in Australia are you heading for in 2006?

Dave
Old Jun 24th 2004, 9:22 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Hiya ACE,

Fair comment actually. The rat race that is the the 7.36 from South Woodham Ferrers to London Liverpool Street is not something I ever want to do!!

Although the thought of spending that amount of time time with a mass of children scares the living daylights out of me, I fully understand where you are coming from. I think that the best job I have ever had was running a summer playscheme for 6-11 year old kids, one summer whilst at Uni. My girlfriend gets fed up with school etc occasionally, but not once has that been because of the kids - always because of the associated cr*p that goes with it from new government this and that, etc.

I moved down to Essex 6 years ago when I got a job as an IT consultant with Logica in Brentwood. Since then I have also contracted at BT, Ford and currently I work at Anglia Polytechnic University and run my own web development company. Funnily enough I am based in Benfleet which is a stones throw away from Rayleigh. Thus strange that I was unaware of Ashingdon - still you learn something new every day.

So whereabouts in Australia are you heading for in 2006?

Dave
Hi Dave,
We are heading for the Rockingham/Mandurah area. I worked out there on contract as a dancer back in 1988 and loved it. Since then we have been back as a family in 2001, 2003 and we are going out this Christmas and New Year.

It is a fortunate coincidence that Steves firm has a site South of Perth so we are trying to arrange a transfer but if that doesn't work out we will take the redundancy and apply over there.

I have been researching this move for 4 years and have heaps of resources and info so if you want any links let me know.

All the best
ACE
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case it is relevant or of interest to anyone, an article today about teachers salaries in Victoria:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...046222893.html

OzTennis
Old Jun 26th 2004, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Just to change the subject slightly.... All the states require teachers to register before they can work in their state schools and they all look like fairly straight forward applications...except South Australia which requires a skill assessment type thing (references from all schools worked at etc) then when a positive outcome has been given from that the registration application can be lodged (this is my understanding of the process- hope I've read it right). Anyway, we emailed S.A. tonight to ask if the NOOSR assessment would do instesd- after all, surely, it's been judged on all the same stuff that S.A. want to see- qualifications/experience/refs etc
Has anybody got any experience of this?
Hope all this makes sense- am working my way through a really nice £8 bottle of red (that's well expensive for us!) that hubby got half price :PARTY:
BTW I am Yvonne (primary)
and hubby (Nick) is secondary biology/science
xx
Old Jun 26th 2004, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by YFitz
Just to change the subject slightly.... All the states require teachers to register before they can work in their state schools and they all look like fairly straight forward applications...except South Australia which requires a skill assessment type thing (references from all schools worked at etc) then when a positive outcome has been given from that the registration application can be lodged (this is my understanding of the process- hope I've read it right). Anyway, we emailed S.A. tonight to ask if the NOOSR assessment would do instesd- after all, surely, it's been judged on all the same stuff that S.A. want to see- qualifications/experience/refs etc
Has anybody got any experience of this?
Hope all this makes sense- am working my way through a really nice £8 bottle of red (that's well expensive for us!) that hubby got half price :PARTY:
BTW I am Yvonne (primary)
and hubby (Nick) is secondary biology/science
xx

Hi Yvonne,

We are off to WA and they require a skills assessment and then you need to complete a application form. We happened upon the assessment office back in April when we were in Perth so the assessment cost us only $20. I have seen costs of several hundred on the NOOSR site. Still small price to pay to help get a job

Dave
Old Jun 26th 2004, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by ACE
Hi Dave,
We are heading for the Rockingham/Mandurah area. I worked out there on contract as a dancer back in 1988 and loved it. Since then we have been back as a family in 2001, 2003 and we are going out this Christmas and New Year.

It is a fortunate coincidence that Steves firm has a site South of Perth so we are trying to arrange a transfer but if that doesn't work out we will take the redundancy and apply over there.

I have been researching this move for 4 years and have heaps of resources and info so if you want any links let me know.

All the best
ACE
Hi ACE

We too have been going through the process for about 3 1/2 to 4 years. I am always looking for more info though and any links you have are most welcome.

We are heading to the Northern suberbs, but we did visit Mandurah on a recent trip and loved it. My new aim in life is to get a canalside house in Mandurah so we can sit out in the gardens and watch dolphins jumping at the bottom of our garden

Dave
Old Jun 26th 2004, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Hi Yvonne,

We are off to WA and they require a skills assessment and then you need to complete a application form. We happened upon the assessment office back in April when we were in Perth so the assessment cost us only $20. I have seen costs of several hundred on the NOOSR site. Still small price to pay to help get a job

Dave
So was that skill assessment all the same stuff that you needed for NOOSR? How long did it take for them to assess?
Cheers
Yvonne
P.S Where are you in Essex? Hubby used to work in Pitsea
and live in Southend. Lovely.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

So was that skill assessment all the same stuff that you needed for NOOSR? How long did it take for them to assess?
Cheers
Yvonne

We had to provide educational certificates etc, etc. It is difficult to say how long it took as we provided information at different interval. From the point they received all the info it took only a couple of weeks.

We are in South Woodham Ferrers - Between Chelmsford and Southend. Humm Pitsea - nice!!

Dave
Old Jun 27th 2004, 2:33 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Hi ACE

We too have been going through the process for about 3 1/2 to 4 years. I am always looking for more info though and any links you have are most welcome.

We are heading to the Northern suberbs, but we did visit Mandurah on a recent trip and loved it. My new aim in life is to get a canalside house in Mandurah so we can sit out in the gardens and watch dolphins jumping at the bottom of our garden

Dave
Hi Dave,

Those canal homes are lovely aren't they, we looked at a WBN home and we loved it, very tempting but not practical with young children.

ACE
Old Jun 27th 2004, 2:41 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Cheers
Yvonne
Hi Yvvonne,

We live just up the road in Ashingdon. I am soon to be 40 hubby 38, we have two boys 1 and 8. Do you have any kids?

I have just graduated from the University of Essex with a computing degree and will be doing a SCITT PGCE (primary) starting in September. Where did you do your PGCE or teaching degree?

Kind Regards
ACE
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by ACE
Hi Yvvonne,

We live just up the road in Ashingdon. I am soon to be 40 hubby 38, we have two boys 1 and 8. Do you have any kids?

I have just graduated from the University of Essex with a computing degree and will be doing a SCITT PGCE (primary) starting in September. Where did you do your PGCE or teaching degree?

Kind Regards
ACE

Hi Ace
We are now in Suffolk- a small village near Bury St Edmunds. I did all my training north of the border- degree from Glasgow Uni then PGCE from Strathclyde Uni (Jordanhill). I'm not teaching at the moment- don't have the time- have 3 children 6, 4 and 6 months so life is chaotic to say the least. Good luck with SCITT- I'm not sure how it differs from the traditional method- I was in 3 different schools during my PGCE- do you stay in the same school through out and can you choose your school?
Our bond gets sent off tomorrow so getting close now......
Cheers
Yvonne

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.