Teachers

Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Simo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really nice
Default Teachers

Is there an actual thread for teachers in oz and if there is could you point me towards one!

if there isnt and anyone can give me an insight into there lives as a teacher in oz especially compared to life in england id be very greatful.

a few of the posts ive seen seem to suggest that people have difficulty finding teaching work which is a little worrying. Im a biology teacher by the way or at least i will be soon
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:45 pm
sorry..I don't understand

funkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Teachers

Originally Posted by Simo429
Is there an actual thread for teachers in oz and if there is could you point me towards one!

if there isnt and anyone can give me an insight into there lives as a teacher in oz especially compared to life in england id be very greatful.

a few of the posts ive seen seem to suggest that people have difficulty finding teaching work which is a little worrying. Im a biology teacher by the way or at least i will be soon
There's one for Teaching but not specific to Australia

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Simo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really nice

thanks
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Glad you're a biology teacher and not an English teacher...it's their lives not there lives (sorry can't help correcting mistakes, I'm a teacher too!)

Yep I have heard that it's hard to get a teaching post in Oz, especially permanent positions. It is easier if you're willing to work and live in a more rural area though. Have you got 4 years of tertiary (uni) level education? I did a 3 year BA (hon) in primary education and teaching but that isn't good enough for the Australians!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GillyG
Glad you're a biology teacher and not an English teacher...it's their lives not there lives (sorry can't help correcting mistakes, I'm a teacher too!)

Yep I have heard that it's hard to get a teaching post in Oz, especially permanent positions. It is easier if you're willing to work and live in a more rural area though. Have you got 4 years of tertiary (uni) level education? I did a 3 year BA (hon) in primary education and teaching but that isn't good enough for the Australians!
i will have when i finish my pgce at least i hope i have

ive done a 3 year degree in biochemistry and ill be finishing my pgce in june

so thats 4 years but not all in one block is that what there after.im only really in the early stages of looking into this
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Australia does need teachers especially High School maths and science teachers but it doesnt necessarily need them in the places that you would probably like to live. If you are prepared to try a country town (ie miles away from the beach, hot, isolated etc) then you are likely to walk into a position but if you want a nice area close to the sea then it will be much harder. As a beginning teacher you may be more attractive to some schools because you will cost them less than a more experienced teacher so it may work out OK for you. Also see if you can do units on special ed in your course just to add another string to your bow.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

i will have when i finish my pgce at least i hope i have

ive done a 3 year degree in biochemistry and ill be finishing my pgce in june

so thats 4 years but not all in one block is that what there after.im only really in the early stages of looking into this
Yep a 3 year degree and a PGCE is fine as far as I'm aware. Good luck
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
Australia does need teachers especially High School maths and science teachers but it doesnt necessarily need them in the places that you would probably like to live. If you are prepared to try a country town (ie miles away from the beach, hot, isolated etc) then you are likely to walk into a position but if you want a nice area close to the sea then it will be much harder. As a beginning teacher you may be more attractive to some schools because you will cost them less than a more experienced teacher so it may work out OK for you. Also see if you can do units on special ed in your course just to add another string to your bow.
thanks for that,

seems like science teachers are in demand everywhere which is good but like you say more so in rural areas which wouldnt bother me terribly because im a country boy from derbyshire but i think my OH would find it hard to get a job because she works with the criminally insane - theres a more pc word for them but i cant think of it
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:38 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

This means MILES fom the sea - not a few miles, but in some cases 8-10 hours drive to the neareset patch of ocean.....
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:44 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that,

seems like science teachers are in demand everywhere which is good but like you say more so in rural areas which wouldnt bother me terribly because im a country boy from derbyshire but i think my OH would find it hard to get a job because she works with the criminally insane - theres a more pc word for them but i cant think of it
Country Debryshire doesn't really count as country in Australia - I was born out west and my Uncle owns a property bigger than Derbyshire........ it takes him longer to get to the corner store to buy the newspaper than it would take to get from Derbyshire to London.

Country in Australia is a bit different - took my english girlfriend out to where I was born - after 7 hours in the car she wanted to know how far left to go......

Luckily it was only another 200kms though

When we got there she was just astounded - a town of 2000 people, 3 hours drive to the nearest 'major' town.... nothing but a pub and a school and some houses.......... I suggest before you agree to move to a rural area that you spend a week there....

I took my girlfriend on the agreement that we would stay in the best hotel in town (didn't tell her there is only ONE hotel) and we would stay for as many nights as she wanted to stay......... we arrived at 11am, we were on our way back at 3pm.......
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
This means MILES fom the sea - not a few miles, but in some cases 8-10 hours drive to the neareset patch of ocean.....
Not always. We can see the ocean and the beach is just a couple of streets away! We are in a rural posting.

You can be posted inland but also know quite a few teachers posted to coastal towns. However the miles would be posting from your nearest city.

Gems
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

However have to say if you are a Science teacher you would have more opportunity in the city and rural here in WA. They have serious shortage of Maths and Science.

I have seen jobs also in Catholic Schools system. Fee paying schools.

Gems