Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teacher movin to Oz and feeling very confused about where to go.

Teacher movin to Oz and feeling very confused about where to go.

Old Jun 26th 2005, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Teacher moving to Oz and feeling very confused about where to go.

I keep going on about this so sorry if I am driving people insane.

We are moving in October. We have two teenagers (14 and 16).

My sister lives in Sydney but we do not want to settle there. It seems that getting work in Queensland is very difficult for teachers.

We have a permanent visa but must settle where we can be on a steady income.

Are there any teachers who have moved to WA reading the forum??

I have contacted the WA education department for help but they have not replied.

I really need to know how hard it is to find a teaching job in Perth and surrounding areas.

Thanks
Tara

Last edited by ali south; Jun 26th 2005 at 6:01 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2005, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice
Default Re: Teacher moving to Oz and feeling very confused about where to go.

Hi Tara,
Are you still going to the meet next Sunday? Can chat about this a bit more then! I've been looking at the local QLD papers online and there are teaching jobs out there, not many but some. I've still to send the other form off to Gov. dept now I've got rego but I'm wating for some paperwork from past employers. I do worry sometimes too about employment possibilities but am determined to be more positive, visit schools when I get there, show my face, things like that and I'm sure something will come up. I know this probably doesn't help you much! Sorry! Is there a specific reason why you don't want to be in Sydney?

Originally Posted by ali south

My sister lives in Sydney but we do not want to settle there. It seems that getting work in Queensland is very difficult for teachers.

I have contacted the WA education department for help but they have not replied.

I really need to know how hard it is to find a teaching job in Perth and surrounding areas.

Thanks
Tara
Old Jun 26th 2005, 9:36 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Tara
I've had a few beers so excuse the typos in the following.....

I am due to leave in two weeks. I'll be teaching in Perth. From my experience....

It seems that good teachers are difficult to get. If you have a decent cv you should find work easily.

UK teachers in some instances are actively sought after by private schools.

You will need to network. Start trying to get contacts at least one month before you intend arriving.

Do your homework on the schools you wish to teach in.

Be flexible (with subjects and schools)

Time your arrival well. Consider the timing of terms and the academic year and the fact that if you want to do supply (relief) there are busy and quiet times during the year - just like in the UK.

Get organised with regard to your college of teaching registration. (From my experience they are pretty efficient - more so than the edu dept - be prepared to call them)

Be humble!
Old Jun 26th 2005, 9:40 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teacher movin to Oz and feeling very confused about where to go.

Hiya

I live in Qld and as far as I can see they r despersate for Good teachers......they cant get rid of the shit ones here....cos a shit teacher is better than no teacher....which is a bit scarey.....luckily my kids school is Ok
Old Jun 26th 2005, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Ali Have you contacted Larissa yet? I am sure she was one person who posted on teaching in WA.

There were def some posts about the 3 year UK degree not being accepted and mention of remote and rural areas. Can someone confirm if a state the size of WA has rules regarding how it fills its remote postions? Or do they just hope teachers volunteer that seems unlikely.

Plenty of states could do with good teachers but the rules regarding who gets employed are complex, my sons teacher went off in week one on compo , for 6 months hes had a brilliant teacher, now they are giving the position (class with problem kids too) to a teacher whos done his time out west, no continuity for the kids.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future

Thanks
Tara
Hiya Ali
I hope this encourages you.

WE moved to Perth in Jan and I applied and got my first teaching job in an independent secondary school last week. Its a temp part time position which is just what I wanted. I have seen suitable jobs advertised most weeks in the local press and I do get the impression that good teachers are in demand. I said in my interview that I would miss 3 days at the beginning of term and I would have to miss the last week of term because we are returning to the UK for a holiday. I was cringing as I was saying this but I still got the job! I think they are desperate!!!
Many of the positions that have been coming up are for a terms work to cover teachers on long service leave.

You have to join WACOT (west australian college of teachers) to teach here and I am horrified by the beaurocracy. So many forms.....
You need to prove you have the equivalent of a 4 year Australian Batchelor of Education and that your teaching course had 45 hours of evaluated teaching practice. I also needed a letter from my last school saying I was competent. Oh and transcipts from my degree and teaching courses.
And also certified documentation of my quallies and a statutory declaration witnessed by a lawyer. Oh and a criminal check here.

Anyway - these are my impressions. Good luck
Ali
Old Jun 27th 2005, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JG04
Hi Tara,
Are you still going to the meet next Sunday? Can chat about this a bit more then! I've been looking at the local QLD papers online and there are teaching jobs out there, not many but some. I've still to send the other form off to Gov. dept now I've got rego but I'm wating for some paperwork from past employers. I do worry sometimes too about employment possibilities but am determined to be more positive, visit schools when I get there, show my face, things like that and I'm sure something will come up. I know this probably doesn't help you much! Sorry! Is there a specific reason why you don't want to be in Sydney?
Hi
Sydney prices worry me, we loved Sydney for a holiday (plus my sister lives there!)
I will try and get to the meet on Sunday
See you there and thanks Tara
Old Jun 27th 2005, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NKSK
I've had a few beers so excuse the typos in the following.....

I am due to leave in two weeks. I'll be teaching in Perth. From my experience....

It seems that good teachers are difficult to get. If you have a decent cv you should find work easily.

UK teachers in some instances are actively sought after by private schools.

You will need to network. Start trying to get contacts at least one month before you intend arriving.

Do your homework on the schools you wish to teach in.

Be flexible (with subjects and schools)

Time your arrival well. Consider the timing of terms and the academic year and the fact that if you want to do supply (relief) there are busy and quiet times during the year - just like in the UK.

Get organised with regard to your college of teaching registration. (From my experience they are pretty efficient - more so than the edu dept - be prepared to call them)

Be humble!
Thanks

Good luck with your move
Tara
Old Jun 27th 2005, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by biggy
Hiya

I live in Qld and as far as I can see they r despersate for Good teachers......they cant get rid of the shit ones here....cos a shit teacher is better than no teacher....which is a bit scarey.....luckily my kids school is Ok
unfortunately there are very strict rules about having to score points to work in certain areas

also loads of teachers move to QLD each year

the competition does not worry me

the rules and regulations make it look really difficult
thanks for your reply
Tara
Old Jun 27th 2005, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Ali Have you contacted Larissa yet? I am sure she was one person who posted on teaching in WA.

There were def some posts about the 3 year UK degree not being accepted and mention of remote and rural areas. Can someone confirm if a state the size of WA has rules regarding how it fills its remote postions? Or do they just hope teachers volunteer that seems unlikely.

Plenty of states could do with good teachers but the rules regarding who gets employed are complex, my sons teacher went off in week one on compo , for 6 months hes had a brilliant teacher, now they are giving the position (class with problem kids too) to a teacher whos done his time out west, no continuity for the kids.
Thanks

I have not contacted her yet.
the 3 year degree thing is a real worry, my degree was 3 years!
I will try to contact her
Tara
Old Jun 27th 2005, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AliMay
Hiya Ali
I hope this encourages you.

WE moved to Perth in Jan and I applied and got my first teaching job in an independent secondary school last week. Its a temp part time position which is just what I wanted. I have seen suitable jobs advertised most weeks in the local press and I do get the impression that good teachers are in demand. I said in my interview that I would miss 3 days at the beginning of term and I would have to miss the last week of term because we are returning to the UK for a holiday. I was cringing as I was saying this but I still got the job! I think they are desperate!!!
Many of the positions that have been coming up are for a terms work to cover teachers on long service leave.

You have to join WACOT (west australian college of teachers) to teach here and I am horrified by the beaurocracy. So many forms.....
You need to prove you have the equivalent of a 4 year Australian Batchelor of Education and that your teaching course had 45 hours of evaluated teaching practice. I also needed a letter from my last school saying I was competent. Oh and transcipts from my degree and teaching courses.
And also certified documentation of my quallies and a statutory declaration witnessed by a lawyer. Oh and a criminal check here.

Anyway - these are my impressions. Good luck
Ali
Ali
good luck and well done on getting your job

I am worried about this three year degree issue, that is my next thing to look into
Tara
Old Jun 28th 2005, 3:42 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Ali

I am worried about this three year degree issue, that is my next thing to look into
Tara
Don't worry about it. In QLD you would be paid on a different scale to teachers who have obtained 4 year degrees that's all.

Did you do a 3 year QTS?

Sam
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Ali

Tara
In W.A you will need to be 4 year trained- either with a 3 or 4 year degree and a 1 year PGCE or with a 4 yr B.Ed. You will not be able to register otherwise. If you are in this position you will have to do another years training. A friend of mine was in this position and they are very strict about it- good references, experience etc won't make any difference I'm afraid
Old Jun 28th 2005, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by YFitz
In W.A you will need to be 4 year trained- either with a 3 or 4 year degree and a 1 year PGCE or with a 4 yr B.Ed. You will not be able to register otherwise. If you are in this position you will have to do another years training. A friend of mine was in this position and they are very strict about it- good references, experience etc won't make any difference I'm afraid
thank you
Tara
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:30 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YFitz
Yes, they are very VERY strict about it - I've been knocked back for teaching by NSW because my PGCE was done at a FE college and not a Uni - which is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. They just don't have any idea about how the qualification system works for UK teachers in Oz - It all comes down to a certificate from a uni. Also, they won't consider any postgraduate courses you may have done. They said that I was one Physics module short in my undergraduate degree to be considered as a physics teacher, despite the fact that I have a PhD in applied physics!

I feel that if they are willing to cut off their nose to spite their face, then I'll take my skills and talents and do something else with them. After all, there must be thousands and thousands of well qualified physics teachers just dying to get jobs in the public education sector...

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.