Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teabags, Bisto and Marmite...again..

Teabags, Bisto and Marmite...again..

Old Apr 27th 2005, 7:59 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teabags, Bisto and Marmite...again..

Originally Posted by madsad
I got my cousin to bring over 4 large tins of Bisto Powder when he was visiting! the Bisto here is disgusting,as is Gravox, but its more to do with what you are used to
The Greens gravy granules are not too bad & at the end of the day you either get used to the different tastes or do without!!

Donna.
So no problems getting bisto in then?...my dad is visiting soon so will get him to bring me some over.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 8:50 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
So no problems getting bisto in then?...my dad is visiting soon so will get him to bring me some over.
No,no problems at all! My cousin even posted it from Perth to Brisbane!

Donna.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

OK....so.. i'll be packing in the container loads of sealed marmite, bisto (beef, chicken and Turkey) (some for you to splean jnr...), nescafe gold blend, and pg tips... in a large box, clearly marked... anything I've missed!! what do you miss most at Christmas.. can you get all the old favorites...

and another box with my booze... that is if I haven't turned into an alcoholic by then.. (bloody housing market!!)

But I won't be bringing any soap from lush...

Before I get slated, I am not moving to Oz and expecting things to be the same as at home... and I will get used to different brands but any home comforts to help with the initial homesickness can only be a good thing... not good at going cold turkey!! (no pun intended)
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

LancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JJJHM
OK....so.. i'll be packing in the container loads of sealed marmite, bisto (beef, chicken and Turkey) (some for you to splean jnr...), nescafe gold blend, and pg tips... in a large box, clearly marked... anything I've missed!! what do you miss most at Christmas.. can you get all the old favorites...

and another box with my booze... that is if I haven't turned into an alcoholic by then.. (bloody housing market!!)

But I won't be bringing any soap from lush...

Before I get slated, I am not moving to Oz and expecting things to be the same as at home... and I will get used to different brands but any home comforts to help with the initial homesickness can only be a good thing... not good at going cold turkey!! (no pun intended)

there is a shp which gets most of the things missed most by people here in sydney but I think they do post around Oz as well. There maybe other similar places in Brisbane

Here's the link http://treatsfromhome.com.au/Gourmet.htm
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:26 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJJHM
Can I ask if anyone shipped food stuffs or booze in their container... I know it all has to be declared and duty paid on the booze... but for the sake of our young children... and my sanity..I'd like to send over some UK foods until I find an Oz equivalent..

With 2 little ones I don't want to use up valuable luggage space when we fly.

thanks

julie
my boy will only eat Bisto gravy granules, we have a British shop here and when relatives come they carry Bisto in their hand luggage, so shipping it wouldn't be a problem.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Thanks Anon E Mouse & Mrs DB (you shouldn't have posted that link, hubbys gonna freak!).

If you live in northern burbs of Perth here's a tip for you. I keep seeing Batchelors Mushy Peas in English shops for outrageous prices, Coles sell them at Ocean Keys but they are cunningly hidden in the health food section (!?) not with the other canned veg & are still a whopping $1.95. Don't eat them myself but found themby accident.

Loopy
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:03 am
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Loopy
Thanks Anon E Mouse & Mrs DB (you shouldn't have posted that link, hubbys gonna freak!).

If you live in northern burbs of Perth here's a tip for you. I keep seeing Batchelors Mushy Peas in English shops for outrageous prices, Coles sell them at Ocean Keys but they are cunningly hidden in the health food section (!?) not with the other canned veg & are still a whopping $1.95. Don't eat them myself but found themby accident.

Loopy

Cant say I get why people are so worked up about gravy, tea and coffee. Lush on the other hand

Sits back and awaits Oz vs Uk flames...
Old Apr 28th 2005, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anon E Mouse
Cant say I get why people are so worked up about gravy, tea and coffee. Lush on the other hand

Sits back and awaits Oz vs Uk flames...
Do what my Mum did many long years ago. Make your own gravy! If you are capable of stirring sugar into coffee/tea you can make gravy.